The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1
compglock17

Lee auto prime question

I have been reloading bulk ammo for a while and am just now starting to reload for superior accuracy out of my scoped rifles. To this end, I purchased the Lee auto prime, hand priming tool. My question is, as uniformity and consistency are the goal, is there any tricks you guys use with this tool to seat your primers to the same depth every time? Am I wrong in thinking that this tool will be more precise than using the primer seating attachment on my press?

If it matters, I’m using a RCBS Partner press for my rifle work.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:19 PM   #2
federali

Lee Auto-prime

I have a 20-year-old Lee auto-prime which works at the top of the press. The tool does a great job and the extra leverage of priming at the top of the stroke makes priming easier.

However, the primer feed system on the auto-prime does not work and you must advance the primers with a nail or small screwdriver.

For uniform primer seating, you must get a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer. It does a great job and quickly gets all the pockets to the same depth and with perfect concentricity. Note: This is not a pocket reamer used to remove the crimp from military primer pockets. They are different tools.
Old December 31, 2011, 07:34 PM   #3
compglock17

Very good! Thanks for the info!
Old December 31, 2011, 09:51 PM   #4
GP100man

I clean all my primer pockets so I don`t feel the crunching thru the crust & that debris can`t be good for ignition uniformity .
Old January 1, 2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Lee Auto-Prime...

Compglock 17--Now, we're talking about the HAND-HELD tool here, not the press mounted Lee priming tool, yes?

I've been using a hand-held Auto-prime for years and years. Recently got one of their new hand-held Auto-prime XR's. Both the old and the new tool will seat the primers very uniformly as to depth, a little below flush in the primer pocket.

I've never had any trouble with variations in depth of seating with the Lee hand-helds. You just press the lever all the way down, and the machine does its thing, and that's that.

Can't compare it to any press-mounted tool for precision. The Lee hand-helds I've owned have been very much precise enough for my purposes, including competition.

--Smokey Joe
Old January 1, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
jepp2

Once you start uniforming your primer pockets, you will not believe how inconsistent they are now. The depth varies considerably, the outside edge is rounded, and the uniformer will cut it square. Since this is where the outside of the cup of the primer pocket will sit, having it properly cut will assist consistent seating.

Now that the pocket is properly prepped, the Lee tool will give you great feel in seating primers. Something you just can't get by priming on the press. And if you measure how far beyond flush the primer is seated, you will find them extremely consistent.

Next is deburring the flash hole, and make the opening the same diameter....
Old January 1, 2012, 08:13 PM   #7
GP100man

I reread your OP & the question is is the press mounted tool precise as to seating primers ???

Well I seat all large primers with the auto prime II (press mounted) & if all the brass is the same lot ya can set it to go just below flush .

Now if you have mixed brass the rims are the inconsistentcy we have to contend with ,but I set it so it seats well before the top of the stroke so I can feel the primer seat .

Small primers I seat with the hornady hand tool.

PS : if ya take the feeder ramp apart & use a #2 pencil to "lube it" they`ll all but 10 will feed automatically.