The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 27, 2002, 07:59 PM   #1
mellow

Does the RCBS pro 2000 come with shell plates and holders??

I'm loading for .45 ACP

Correct me if I'm wrong, if it doesn't come with them, I need to buy 5 shell holders?
Old November 27, 2002, 08:20 PM   #2
Jim Watson

The RCBS Pro 2000 does not use shell holders. It uses a shell plate which holds one round at each of the five stations. As sold by Midway it does not come with a shellplate, you must order (and pay for) one to suit your caliber.

Suggest you get a RCBS catalog, their website is pretty weak. Or call them and request the manual for the machine you are interested in. That will speed things up over learning about it one question at a time on TFL.
Old November 27, 2002, 08:47 PM   #3
griz

Exactly what Jim said.
The only thing I will add is the press comes with one die plate. Since you will be loading for more than one caliber, (I think you said that elsewhere) it would be convenient to buy an extra die plate for each additional caliber. They are only about six or seven bucks and it keeps you from having to screw the dies in and out when you switch over.
Old November 28, 2002, 09:57 AM   #4
NG Bruce

The RCBS Pro2000 uses a 5 station shell plate, conveniently numbered just like the RCBS shell holders (i.e., the .45 acp uses a #3 shellplate - catalog #88803). Just be sure not to accidently grab a RCBS 4x4 shell plate at your gunshop - they look exactly alike (except for four slots instead of 5 slots) and are used in the older Auto 4x4 press. You will want to purchase an extra starwheel and die plate for each caliber you intend to reload to make set up easier. The press comes with one starwheel and one die plate but no shell plate. NG Bruce