The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 18, 2000, 06:08 PM   #1
USMCGrunt

OK, so I just got done glass bedding my first rifle stock. I made sure to use a lot of release agent coats on the action and any exposed metal. While I'm waiting for it to set up, every thought of something having gone wrong is going through my head. Worst though is that I missed a spot with the release agent and the stocks locks to the action. If that happens, what can I do to get it out without damaging the stock or the rifle? Man, this waiting to see if I screwed something up can drive a man to drink!
Old March 18, 2000, 08:42 PM   #2
DeBee

Pour yourself a tall sturdy one...

When bedding a rifle, most of your time should be spent blocking out and painting with release. Scooping the glass in doesn't take too long.

I usually pull the action just before the glass hardens too much and trim the excess glass off with an old dental tool. I then replace the action for the final drying and spraying it with Pam cooking spray if I think it's necessary.

If you miss a spot, you'll need a rubber mallet and/or a thick wooden dowel to strategically place blows to the underside of the action. Take your time. Some suggest putting the gun in the freezer for a while but I haven't tried that one yet...
Old March 22, 2000, 07:26 PM   #3
HankL

Grunt, How, or did, it come out? or
Old March 22, 2000, 08:53 PM   #4
USMCGrunt

It worked! I had to get out of the house for the evening so I wouldnt' worry about it, mess around with it and screw it up but when I came back, the barrel snuggly popped right out. What a relief that was. Next morning I did the final fitting, dremeled off theexcess that flowed back into the magazine cutout, assembled the rifle and I'm letting it cure. I know the instructions say to let it sit for 3-10 days but I think I am gonna let it sit for a couple of weeks before I test fire it to make sure that it's good and cured first. Yup, I'm a happy camper that it actually worked and I didn't screw it up.
Old March 22, 2000, 10:13 PM   #5
samsonj

can some one tell me what the heck glass bedding is????
I am new to the building game, Also I have a single action revolver that needs to be blued, is that something I should take on my self or is it such a hard task that I should let a smithy take care of it? Thanks

------------------
one shot one kill
Old March 23, 2000, 09:44 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Samsonj, "Glass" bedding should actually be called epoxy bedding. Rarely is a rifle stock inletted in such a way as to give full contact to the receiver. Glass bedding gives the receiver that solid contact. Sometimes the complete bbl channel is also glassed but the most popular method is to free float the barrel. The epoxy bed is stopped about an inch in front of the receiver and the channel is relieved so that the barrel does not touch the wood. Clay is used to block places that you don't want the bedding compound to go into and the action and bbl are coated with a release agent. The bedding is mixed and poured into the stock recess then the barreld action is put in and the srews tightned down just as if you were assembling the rifle. In this manner all the little voids where the action should be contacting are filled. I would recommend having your pistol blued. Cold blue is fine for touch up work but not very satisfactory for a complete bluing job. I can handle this for you if you'd like. Just e-mail me for details. George