The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2010, 07:15 PM   #1
87mustang

primer question

so can someone here explain why small and large rifle primers are SOOOOO hard to find. i talked to the guy today that i get most of my stuff from and he said that CCI is just now filling orders that were put in last March.

about ten years ago i started reloading and all components were super easy to get and priced right. now it's a !@$@#$!------@#(F#!$@!#@$ NIGHTMARE to get anything.

i can usually find bullets and powder that aren't priced too hateful, but why are primers and brass so hard to come by??

this irritates me so much because we are getting stuff together for a prairie dog hunt this year, and primers are what's holding me back!!!
Old April 7, 2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

They're certainly not around here.... haven't been for months. I just got Large and small pistol primers and large rifle primers from Gander Mountain a couple of weeks ago. The guy asked me how many I wanted and I said "How many do you have?", thinking that he would say 500 or 2000 or something. His answer was "As many as you want, we haven't had any trouble getting them in several months."
Old April 8, 2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Uncle Buck

The Osage Thrift Shop (Sedalia, MO) has many 1K boxes of primers in almost every size you would want.

They told me the sales rep has informed them they can get what-ever they want now. Have you tried any other placed to find them?
Old April 8, 2010, 08:12 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

This has been the topic of MANY discussion threads here at TFL over the past two or so years.

Try searching the terms primer and shortage, and you should get a lot of information as to why primers are still hard to find.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 8, 2010, 02:28 PM   #5
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Yep, been an on going topic for quite awhile.

As per the subject, my comment would be ------------------

I have heard/read of folk moaning and crying about not having components and for the new shooter/reloader, I feel for them.

For all others however, they were just short sighted. Plain and simple!

Reloading components should be treated like food in the pantry. If a shooter/reloader doesn't have enough on hand to get by for awhile, just who's fault is it?

The point is, as supplies ease, we should all make sure to not make the same mistake again.

Didn't we learn anything from Clinton's time in office?

It ain't going to get any better folks!

Many of our folks knew, first hand about tough times. Sad to say many now just want to go to the store and expect the shelf to be full when they get there.

Wake up while you can!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot