The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2000, 09:13 AM   #1
Bullwinkle

I installed a Lee Factory Crip die last night (10mm) and did a little expiermenting with it. I seemed that anything more that 1/2 turn past contact resulted in a very difficult back pull (comming out of the die) on the press (550B). Is this normal? Is the 1/2 turn past contact that the instruction call a "light" crip adequate. Is the shell plate of the 550 designed to backpull with much force?
Old June 1, 2000, 03:40 AM   #2
Hal

The Factory Crimp Die is designed to full length size each round as it crimps according to Lee's literature. I've had the same thing happen w/.44Mag rounds when I crimp them too tight. My half baked guess is that like squeezing a tube of toothpaste in the middle and watching each end swell, the slug must be swelling in front of and behind the crimp. It also depends on the type of brass I use. Some of it does, some of it doesn't. Over-expanding the case mouth seems to cause the same thing.
You might try assembling a round w/no primer or powder at the "light crimp" setting, then tapping the bullet and checking for any movement. A tight crimp is a good thing, IMHO, but overdoing it just shortens the life of the brass from what I've read.
Can't help w/the 550b questions, as I don't use one yet. But having had a similar experience w/Lee dies in a Lee press, I believe it pertains to the dies and not the press.
Old June 1, 2000, 08:34 AM   #3
Bullwinkle

Thanks RAE. I played some more last night and found the action to be slightly smoother when I reduced the bell; but I'm at the mimimum bell right now so there's no more to be gained there. I guess I'll take your advice and start backing off the crip and testing the pull weight.

I also noticed last night that with the die properly adjusted the lockring is above the threads. I wonder if you can use the lock ring on the bottom of the tool head instead of the top? I think I'll call Lee.
Old June 1, 2000, 04:26 PM   #4
Hal

Bullwinkle,
I believe you can put the lock ring underneath. I seem to remember a few post's about doing just that. Maybe if you reask the question titled ? about 550b or ?? about Dillon it will get more response.
Old June 2, 2000, 10:09 AM   #5
Bullwinkle

I talked to Lee. They said underneath is fine. The tech also said that the pull weight is indicatative of the heavyness of the crimp so if its too hard you are probably crimping too much.
Old June 2, 2000, 06:12 PM   #6
Banzai

Try replacing those Lee lock rings with some from RCBS with the set screws to hold the setting, makes a world of difference as to just how tight you can lock the dies in place, and they never wear out or dry rot!

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!