The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2006, 03:34 PM   #1
castnblast

Thanks for the advice...just got back from the range...

Thanks guys for all your advice. Just got back from the range shooting my test groups through my HOWA 1500 22-250. I ran 8 groups of loads w/ a 55 btsp Sierra Game King. Got 2 loads out of the 8 w/ IMR 4064 that produced groups less than 1/2". No B.S. The tightest group actually came from the max load (.2gr over max...36.5 gr. book stated 36.3 but had 0 indication of excessive pressure...bolt opened fine, no flattened primers). I'm not advocating exceeding max here, but given the circumstances, and only after closely inspecting cases for signs of excessive pressure did I feel comfortable taking the next group to the .2 level. The gun is brand new, and I did not feel I was putting myself in danger. I'll check the case head and make sure it comps. w/ the other fired brass, and also double check the case stretch, but all appears to be well, and I found my load. I just feel sorry for the 'yotes that are going to eat some lead tonight...nah...
Old July 14, 2006, 04:40 PM   #2
Scorch

Good job. You'll find 22-250s are not finicky about their loads, but you will often find a load that just comes together very well. And your experience of best accuracy at max loads is typical in the 22-250, in my experience.
Old July 14, 2006, 06:10 PM   #3
12 Volt Man

I would be interested to see the load data. I have the same rifle and I didn't have that kind of success with my first loads. I am getting ready to try some others.
Old July 17, 2006, 01:25 PM   #4
castnblast

Here's what I did...I started the loads at 33.5 grs. (IMR 4064 w 55 gr Sierra spitzer boat tails) and ran 4 shot groups w/ each, firing a very slow rate, allowing for sufficient time to lapse in order to avoid barrel heat. I also ran a DRY bore snake though after each group. I increased the loads by 1/2gr. wt in each group. The max data called for 36.3 grs. I very closely inspected my brass after the 36 gr. charge and found no indications of excessive pressure. After firing the 1st round, at the .2 over max, I mic'd the round, and found no indication of damage, so I proceeded to shoot the next 3 rounds. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the group, because I was really shocked I got that kind of group. The max data I used was off the IMR Website for 4064 powder. They called for a max charge of 36.3 grs. w/ that bullet configuration. Again, I was only .2 grs off max, and I powder trickled every round to EXACTLY 36.5 grs, making sure to zero my scale prior. Also, I increased my COL from 2.35 to 2.355. I figured that would reduce the pressure just a tad. You can access IMR's data at www.imrpowder.com Go to reloading data and you'll find some good info.
Old July 20, 2006, 01:17 PM   #5

IMR 4064 is good for 22-250 as you found out. Try soem H-380 or my favorite H-414 it works great. If you're interested I'll post up a few of my favorite loads.
Old July 20, 2006, 02:22 PM   #6
castnblast

that would be great. I'm going to experiment w/ some cheapies for plinking. Kinda funny thinking of a rifle other than a 22 lr for "plinking" but w/ bullets as cheap as they are for flat base, might as well. Nothing like "plinking" stuff at 300yds Have you ever used benchmark? seems to generate some nice velocities at a relatively light (gr weight) charge. I'd like to see your recipe for h414 and h380. One more question...Please include your rate of twist and barrel length.