The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2002, 09:32 PM   #1
Family Man

storage of 1911a1 and old Smith

I have a nice Colt .45 1911A1 and a Smith and Wesson snubbed nose .38 made in 1947 inherited from my grandfather. I stored the Smith in my grandfather's holster for about 25 years until I got interested in guns and realized there was rust on the places where it touched the holster. I want to keep both guns in original condition as much as possible. I have used 0000 steel wool and CLP and cleaned as much of the surface rust off as possible. NOW...without an environmentally controlled safe, what is the best way to keep these guns. I have the usual zippered gun rugs. Is it a good idea to keep a layer of plastic in the gun rug to surround the gun so the layer of oil is not drawn away from the metal? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old August 26, 2002, 05:28 AM   #2
stans

Put one of those silica gel dessicant bags in the pistol rug with the gun.
Old August 26, 2002, 11:33 AM   #3
Chuck Dye

Take a look at the September issue of The American Rifleman Q&A. Jim Supica, a man of some repute in the field, writes of cleaning up a collectible Colt. He suggests microcrystalline waxes as a coating. Once you have used the coating you have chosen, I second the recommendation of a silica gel pack.