The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
SteelChickenShooter

Please Suggest a Shotgun

A deer hunting buddy wants a 20ga auto-loader, rifled barrel, 4X scope.
So I suggest a Remington Sportsman 11-87, synthetic, deer model.
I don't know much about what's out there and how good or poor the models may be. Any other suggestions?
Old January 7, 2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Xfire68

11-87's are nice guns. I like the Winchester SX3's line but, don't own one. Shot my bud's and it is a soft shooting gun.
Old January 7, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
ohiomossyoak

Any particular reason he wants a semi-auto??The savage 220 20ga bolt action slug gun would most likely be more accurate an cost the same or less(450 to 500$) from what im seeing
Old January 7, 2012, 09:28 PM   #4
SteelChickenShooter

Yes- for reasons unknown to me he does stipulate the auto loader. So that is the question: apart from the one I suggested, what others should be looked at? Maybe he has a follow up shot in mind- can't say. I have the bolt action Savage, and it is certainly the 20 gauge of my choice.
Old January 7, 2012, 10:04 PM   #5
ohiomossyoak

Yeah it would be my top choice for deer..Followed by the H&R ultra slug hunter heavy barrel..But then your in single shot territory
Old January 8, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
SteelChickenShooter

In my case, my H&R Ultra slug hunter did not produce expected results with the ammo I intended to use. If I zeroed it with Buckhammers, all it could be was a reasonable 100 yard or under deer gun. I gave it away to a relative that was happy with it (and he did take a deer with it). I replaced that gun with the Savage 20ga bolt and was very well pleased with the performance shooting my ammo choices. I have shooting areas where longer shots would be in order.
Old January 8, 2012, 05:57 PM   #7
sasquatch found

The browning Silver has a rifled slug gun with a cantilever. id try my best to talk him out of a rifled barrel shotgun. in my opinion the extra cost of a box of sabots isnt worth the mediocre increase in performance. Granted i hunt thick brushy deer woods and i never have the option of a shot over 100, so maybe im being biased. my old browning A5 can cloverleaf a 5 doller box of remington sluggers at 50 and hit a big soup can at 100 and i dont need to ask for much more IMHO. there isnt too much terribly wrong with an old smoothbore.. im just sayin