The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 9, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1
sneakysnake

Sabot vs. powder charge question

I have been working with a Remington Genesis for a while. Does anyone have experience with a good Sabot vs. powder charge combination for this in-line? I have tried Tripleseven powder and pellets, and Blackhorn 209 powder al with a Hornady SST 250Gr Sabot. Which everyone I work with say they have no problems with. I am lucky to get a 4" grouping at 100 yards. From what I see on manufactures website It should be closer to 1" groupings.

Any specific experience with this In-line would be appreciated.

Last edited by sneakysnake; November 10, 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old November 10, 2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Pahoo

I don't see a specific question or problem. Nor what you have listed in your shot string. I shoot a 240, loose 90-95grs. of 777 in my in-line hunter. Many of my freinds have recently switched to BlackHorn 209 with improved performance or so they say. I don't shoot pellets but that a personal choice. Depending on my activity, I have a few shot-strings that I trust but there could be better ones out there. You have to find yours as well. .. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 11, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3
simonkenton

I am quite fond of the Hornady 250 SST. A great deer-killer.

How much powder have you been using?
Old November 11, 2010, 07:38 PM   #4
sneakysnake

I started with 150 grains of triple seven pellets and had no pattern to speak off. Bullet appeared to tumble through the target. Lowered to 100 grains and seemed somewhat better. Then I was talking with someone who seemed knowledgeable at the range. He suggested I try 80 grains of the Blackhorn 209 powder and to use more of a shotgun type primer like CCI's 209M. As of today I am averaging a 2" pattern at 100 yards.

I do question what it would do at longer distances though. Have e-mailed most of the powder and sabot manufactures I have tried. Thought they would have data and test reports for this. I have not gotten any responses yet.

Basically I am trying to use other peoples experiences to same some money in powder and sabots.

I plan to take it Whitetail hunting this weekend.