The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 26, 2008, 12:57 PM   #1
macmonkey

Practicing for IDPA At Home, At The Range, Everywhere

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to IDPA (relatively new to shooting) but I have become obsessed.

I have limited resources as far as practicing for IDPA goes. My local range is pretty strict and is shoot from the bench. I don't have any leeway to shoot from prone, kneeling etc..

Obviously I can work on things like stance, trigger control, breathing etc.. In addition I am allowed to practice strong-hand / weak-hand only shooting from the bench. Targets are moved at 15 minute increments and you can choose to shoot at 7, 15, 22 yds.

I'm curious to see if anyone has tips on what I can be doing to increase my performance with limited access to practice facilities.

At Home

• Practice draw and reholster
• Practice empty mag reloading, tactical reload, etc..
• Read a lot about other people's tips and technics
• Imaginary jams/complications and what I would do to correct them
• Do pushups, sprints, going into kneeling position and back out.

Everywhere

• Pick random spots on the wall and focus while moving
• Work on my distance judgement (ie.. how many steps from here to there)
• General physical fitness things

I've only shot 2 matches at this point and my shooting was very good (last match I had 0-down on 80% of the stages) but my speed is very slow. I somewhat blame this on my lack of experience in movement shooting.

I've googled and looked through this forum for any practice drills that I may be able to do off-range to help with movement shooting but would greatly appreciate anyones insight into what I could be doing to help me become a better IDPA participant.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Dryfire at home.
Unload the gun.
Be SURE the gun is unloaded.
Look again.

Dryfire from various positions.
Standing around a door frame for high cover, kneeling behind a chair for low cover. Set up more than one target and practice "slicing the pie" by leaning instead of stepping.
Put a target in another room, move down the hall, and snap in on it as you get a brief view.
You can cut dryfire targets out of cardboard at half scale to simulate longer ranges than you can get inside.

Dryfiring will show you if the gun is moving around as the shot breaks and let you learn steadiness.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:11 PM   #3
MrBorland

I'm nearly in the same boat. My range isn't strict, but it's a hassle to get there. Some random thoughts that've helped me. In no particular order.

1. As Jim said, dry fire drills are good. Especially if you invest in a par timer. Check out the Steve Anderson's link below. His book, Refinement and Repetition is an expanded version.

http://www.andersonshooting.com/refinement.htm

2. Cruise on over to the Brian Enos forum:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Lots of great info there. In particular, check out the Video Training Tips subforum. Shooters film themselves and ask for feedback. Maybe not always IDPA, but by studying the video and the feedback, you can learn a lot.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showforum=142

3. Buy some IDPA targets (or make them), download a copy of the IDPA qualifier and practice it via dry fire in your backyard. Some argue there's no point in specifically practicing & mastering the qualifier if you then get your butt kicked by others in your class, but the qualifier has many of the elements used in IDPA stages.

4. It may now be too basic a book for you, but Walt Rauch's book, Practically Speaking, has different courses of fire in the back, which can be set up and practiced in your backyard. Maybe there are other online sources for different courses of fire to practice as well.

5. Depending on what gun you're using, maybe invest in an airsoft clone, and do all the above with that. Here's a vid of some home drills with an airsoft clone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlV6V36NXls

6. If you don't already, practice drawing from concealment.

7. Buy and read a copy of Brain Enos' book, Practical Shooting, Beyond Fundamentals. Available (as is other good books) via the Enos forum.
Old September 26, 2008, 05:16 PM   #4
MrBorland

oh yeah...

8. Matt Burkett's site has a bunch of on-line drills. Even an on-line par timer, so you don't have to buy one if you can dry fire in front of your computer.

http://www.mattburkett.com/flashfiles/dryfire.html
Old September 26, 2008, 05:39 PM   #5
Casimer

I don't shoot IDPA, but guys that I know who do use airsoft guns to practice at home.
Old September 26, 2008, 11:50 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Shooting any bullseye? Join a shooting club that shoots bullseye(opens a whole bunch of doors too). None of the shooting games will teach you sight picture, trigger control and breathing as well. You have to be able to shoot well before you run around shooting.
A range isn't a club.