The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 13, 2002, 04:51 PM   #1
HasSpoken

My WIN DEFENDER wont eject the shells!!!

My PUMP SH wont eject, HELP!!!
Hey guys/gals!

I have a brand new WIN DEFENDER and the darn thing wont eject the frakin shells!! I just got it on FRI took it to the range twice today and on the 5th shell it wud not eject. One of the guys at the range banged it against the bench and the shell became loose and I was able to eject it. I took it home to take it a part, clean and examined it and nothing looked to be wrong. I then went back to the range and it did the same freakin thing! This time one of the guys took it and kept pulling down on the slide and several minutes later the shell got free. And upon furthur inspection I cud see that the lugs on the bolt were still holding onto the shell. This time I left the shell in the gun and I m going to take it back to OSHMANS. On the first shell that I had a prb with u can see the print from the lugs holding onto the shell. What do u guys think? I m EXTREMELY pissed off becuz pumps are suppose to be RELIABLE and so far this one seems to be a lemon!
Old October 13, 2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Kevan

On the Defender, it has a leaf-like spring screwed into the side of the receiver that ejects the shells. There must be something wrong with the ejector. Take it back to the place you bought it and get another.

I have two Defenders and never a problem with them. But every manufacturer has a few that make it through quality control. The Defender is a great shotgun. Just take it back and get you another one. You'll be happy with it.
Old October 13, 2002, 09:14 PM   #3
HasSpoken

Kevan, yeah, I think I just have a lemon, and I plan on replacing this one with another DEFENDER. I have a ques though, OSHMANS says on their receipt that they dont take returns back, if I pressure them u think they ll take mine back?
Old October 13, 2002, 10:40 PM   #4
Kevan

It could be that they won't do refunds. See if they'll exchange it for you. They better! If not, contact Winchester and see if they'll issue you a UPS call tag to pick up the weapon and repair it. Or see if there is an Authorized Service Center near you. Wait, I just went and got my Defender paperwork and the nearest service center near you is in Georgia, so you'd probably have to send it to Winchester. BUT!!! Oshmans should replace merchandise that is defective. If they give you a hard time, mention that you'll be on here (and ther sites) telling us all what ****ty customer service they have if they don't. Usually, stores don't have any problem exchanging merchandise that is defective. If they have a problem with a weapon that's been fired, well, how else were you supposed to find out if it worked or not? Keep us informed with what happens. The sooner you take that gun back, the better. Do it tomorrow if you can. That way, they can't say you waited too long.
Old October 14, 2002, 11:21 AM   #5
HasSpoken

I called OSHMANS this morning and they said that the best they cud do wud be to send it to WIN for me. They also said that theres a local gunsmith that is WIN CERIFIED, and that I shud take it to him, so thats what i m left to do. Thanks all! I ll keep everyone posted.
Old October 14, 2002, 07:24 PM   #6
Kevan

In my opinion, that's still lousy customer service. You should let them send it to Winchester for you, because a gunsmith is going to charge you for the repair. I wouldn't buy anything from Oshmans again if I were you. This is why I only go to my favorite local gun shop now. He'll take care of me and he knows what good customer service is. You might pay a little more at a gun shop, but it's worth it. Especially because gun shops are the only PRO-GUN stores that will sell firearms. Places like Oshman's sell them, but if the antis ever get whipped up, they'll drop firearms like a hot potato and then you'll be on your own. Look at K-Mart. Bet you can hardly believe that they used to have a "K-Mart" brand shotgun. They did. It was made by Boito. And Montgomery Wards used to market their own brand of shotgun shells. And I still have some Sears Roebuck brand 20 gauge shells here new in the box. Support your local gun shops. If gun shops go out of business, it's that much closer to not being able to get them at all.
Old October 15, 2002, 01:11 AM   #7
HasSpoken

Kevan, u r a lucky guy! The local gunshop here SUCKS!!! And their cust svc is HORRIBLE!!! Everyone here in Tallahassee DREADS going there. At the range we swap stories of the horrible cust svc we ve recieved from the local gunshop. I wish they were decent folk, but they SUCK! one guy said he goes into a diferent state to buy his guns becuz their cust svc sucks that much !!! The guy at OSHMANS said that they cud either send it in or that I cud send it to the local guy and he cud repair it for me for free since it is still under warrenty. Unfortunately, its not store policy for them to exchanhge firearms that dont work properly, I knew this before I bought the gun but since I thought it wud be reliable I didnt think much of it. I guess every manaufactuer has a few lemons.
I took the gun to the local gunsmith and he loaded it up with a few dummy shells and ejected them without a prb, he cudnt find anything wrong with the gun [after stripping it], he told me to run a few hundred shells through the gun and then offered to do it himself, I let him keep it. I ll keep updating everyone and thanks everyone for all the help!
Tim