The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 16, 2002, 08:17 PM   #1
kobun

Home defence story

Story told to me by a guy I know.
His friend lives in South Africa.

His friend woke by the sound of the door being forced open in the middle of the night.
He jumped out of bed, and got the 870 that was under the bed, loaded with 00 buck.
As he got into the hallway, he saw two men coming toward him.
He fired several times at them, from a distance of 4-5 meters.
They ran back out and jumped across the fence. He stood there dumbfounded looking at them run.
As he looked a bit closer, no blood, no holes in the walls, no nothing.
His wife came out from the bedroom and it became clear what had happened.
For the safety of their kids...
She had exchanged the shotshells with blanks...
He got divorced soon after.

Not 100% sure its true, but it makes a hell of a story.
Who would have stayd with the missis after that?
Old October 16, 2002, 08:52 PM   #2
No4Mk1

Presuming the aforementioned is true, I guess I would have to say yes, I would stay with the wifey. Love the kids too much to leave them in the lurch over such a matter. In fact, apply a little logic, and the kids are generally safer with me and an 870 full of blanks than with the wife and nothing....

HL.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old October 17, 2002, 05:29 PM   #3
1911greg

a 12 ga blank at close range is going to hurt your kid just as bad as buck, what a dummy. should have bought a safe to keep the shotgun locked up in when he was gone. does sound like something a women would do, no logic, no point just stupid.

Last edited by Al Thompson; October 18, 2002 at 07:29 AM.
Old October 17, 2002, 08:43 PM   #4
retiredsquid

South Africa has some serious problems with the native populace after the recent political shift in power. Natives are having a great time of breaking into homes and also finding white women to rape -- if that weren't bad enough, most of the perps are HIV positive. I'd have been mighty hot, if my wife were to load me up with blanks, too. I was raised with loaded guns in the house and my boys were, too. Teach them to respect them from an early age and you won't generally have problems.
Regards,
Rich
Old October 17, 2002, 08:48 PM   #5
Preacherman

Not to spoil an otherwise good story, but... where on earth did she find 12ga. blanks??? I've never seen any for sale anywhere, in South Africa or in the USA. Methinks I smell a large, hairy rat in this story...
Old October 17, 2002, 09:51 PM   #6
Kcustom45

Preacherman

Delta force sells a variety of "unusual" shotgun shells, and they most certainly do have blanks, among other things. You can see them for yourself at their website Delta Force, pages 20 and 21. See you learn something new everyday.
Old October 17, 2002, 10:45 PM   #7
vulcan

This story would have been very different if the intruders were armed & a shootout ensued.... I hope the wife learned a lesson out of it. She endangered the whole family with her nonsense.
Old October 18, 2002, 12:03 AM   #8
lockandrock
Registration in progress

At one time Federal produce blanks that we use in the military that we called noise makers. They where deployed on the airfields to scare birds off the runway to reduce the bird and plane strikes.

Still being shot at with a 870 with blanks or no blanks would not be fun.
Old October 18, 2002, 12:32 AM   #9
Romulus

I still would like to know how a housewife acquires such specialty ammo...I find the narrative suspect

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old October 18, 2002, 08:06 AM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
does sound like something a women would do, no logic, no point just stupid.
I reckon I'll go unload the 00 buck out of my 870 and load it with my orange plastic dummy rounds. That'd be nice and illogical, me being a chick and all...
Old October 18, 2002, 08:28 AM   #11
9mmMike

Tamara,
Please do not take this wrong way but you are hardly the standard by which other women should be judged.
Let's see I get this right, "A gentleman provides cover fire while I reload" or something like that.
How many married men on TFL could ever imagine that quote coming from a spouse? Now that would make for lop-sided poll, I'd wager.
While I to not especially like generalizations and I am sure that the poster would never include you in such a flippant remark, you should probably not take too much offense.
I am one of the lucky few with a bride who shoots with me and who would never consider something that stupid (not that I think the story is true - too Urban Legend for me). However, I do know of more irrational wive's, that would do something just as stupid, than I know ones that would not. That's a tough sentence!
Anyhoo,
Funny story and I'm sure not meant to offend any gender.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 19, 2002, 09:01 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe there were two kinds, but the noisemakers I have seen are not blanks; they have a projectile that explodes out a ways so the noise is in or near the bird flock.

I don't know what would happen if one were fired in self-defense. Maybe a tummy upset that Alka-Seltzer wouldn't cure.

Jim
Old October 19, 2002, 09:27 PM   #13
KSFreeman

Urban myth from Suid Afrika.

The first time I heard this gun shoppe tale it transpired in Kentucky (as do most Hoosier-told tall tales).
Old October 20, 2002, 12:02 AM   #14
David Park

Reminds me of the time I was discussing self defense with a co-worker. He said his mother kept a handgun in the bedroom, but that his father was afraid she'd hurt herself so he removed the firing pin without telling her. I was so shocked that I couldn't say anything. Obviously stupidity is not exclusive to one sex (don't say gender, that's PC crap).