The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Should I change the barrel on my 1st gen Noveske upper?
Do it! Put the barrel you want in it. 4 36.36%
Don't do it! It is a sweet rifle, leave it alone. 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 2, 2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

Would you change the barrel on a 1st gen Noveske upper?

I got a like new Noveske Basic at a pawn shop. Let's just say it was a very good price! It is one of the older ones with the X stamp that is half on the upper and half on the lower. It has a 14.5" barrel (carbine gas) with a pinned and welded flash hider.

What I want is a switchblock barrel with a mid length gas tube.

It occurred to me that I could swap out the original barrel with a switchblock barrel, put a new hand guard on and add one of my 51t AAC mounts and still be under the price of a new Noveske.

The thing is, this is a pretty sweet carbine as is. It is fantastically accurate with my 62 grain reloads. So should I do AR surgery to it? I really don't have the money to buy another barrel right now but it is at the top of my Christmas wish list.

oh... Please don't bother to suggest that I swap out the upper. I am not giving up the X mark on my rifle.
Old September 2, 2014, 08:54 PM   #2
precision_shooter

14.5" barrel - SBR?

Swapping barrels is fairly easy on AR's... It's not like you couldn't switch back at any time...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old September 2, 2014, 09:11 PM   #3
marine6680

Just put a worthy barrel on it if you do. No point going with a cheap barrel on a nice rifle.
Old September 2, 2014, 09:50 PM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision shooter
14.5" barrel - SBR?
He said it's a 14.5" barrel with a pinned and welded flash hider. I can only assume that brings it up to the Title I limit of 16".

Willie, unless you hope to be able to sell this rifle someday for a hefty profit and you need to keep it original, I say just swap the barrel to the one you want and sell the original one. Life's too short to stick with something you don't want unless you stand to gain from it.
Old September 2, 2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Duzell

A:install better barrel, enjoy life
B: leave it stock, have a functional basic gun

your choice, but i make all my toys to suit me for shoots
Old September 2, 2014, 11:17 PM   #6
Jim243

I think it is something of the male psyche that we have to mess or change things. Buy a truck and on goes the chrome, or up goes the CB antenna, or a car and the seat mats or floor mats get changed.

I guess what I am saying is that if it does NOT drastically improve the rifle's performance, then leave it well enough alone. Add lasers, red dots, flash light or what ever (bottle openers are available for them) But it was designed for what it is, and unless there will be a marked improvement in some way you are just spending extra cash on a very nice gun to start with.

Or so I feel.
Jim
Old September 4, 2014, 10:53 AM   #7
Dirty_Harry

Isnt Noveske considered close to the best when it comes to barrels? I would not swap it.

I would just buy another upper and have both.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old September 4, 2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Mobuck

I don't see much logic in destroying a name brand piece when generic uppers are so cheap. Once you turn the barrel nut, it's not a name brand anymore-just another Bubba gun.
Old September 4, 2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Duzell

prove it ^

he can at any point make it back to same condition

without anyone ever knowing it
Old September 4, 2014, 06:01 PM   #10
Dragline45

Noveske makes some of best guns and barrels out there, I cant see how another barrel would be an upgrade. If I wanted a 14.5" mid length I would build one, not destroy your complete Noveske to make one.