The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old February 28, 2014, 06:54 PM   #1
Mokumbear

1st AK suggestions?

I would like to buy my 1st AK and need some advice?

Here are my goals:

Under $1000

A finish that will not rust in a humid climate

A quality weapon that I can pass onto my kids

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old February 28, 2014, 08:30 PM   #2
UtahHunting

You can't go wrong with an O-PAP or N-PAP Yugo rifle. $600 and a very solid built gun. Will last a lifetime.
Old February 28, 2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Kevin_d77

What's the difference between O-paps and N-paps?
Old February 28, 2014, 09:26 PM   #4
UtahHunting

O-PAP is 1.5mm receiver and the N-PAP is a 1mm receiver (thickness). They are both very solid and the best deal going right now imo. The only downside (which is no biggie) is the Yugo's have slightly larger furniture, the stock and handguards are longer than traditional AK's so standard furniture does not fit, but for the price I don't think there is a better value on an AK.

You could also try and find a Saiga and convert it over cheaply for a solid gun but they are becoming more difficult to find right now.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:27 AM   #5
nemesiss45

I second the yugo. they have a reputation for being high quality. steer clear of chinese. I have a romanian. I love it, but it is single stack, so mags are not as readily available.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Hairbag

Arsenal are great and I agree with the yugo OPAP I just picked one up for $500 solid as a rock
Old March 1, 2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Mokumbear

O PAP, N PAP and Arsenal suggestions...

What kind of finish do the Yugo O PAP and N PAP have?
In my humid climate, I want to avoid blued finishes.

Arsenal seems to get high marks but it is over $1k.
Old March 1, 2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Mokumbear

Century International Arms Yugo WASR...

I noticed the the Century International Arms Yugo WASR was not mentioned.

Opinions?

I also noticed that there were no reviews on Bud's for the model with no bayonet lug.
I don't really want the lug and the reviewed model with the lug was about
$100 more!

I like the ease of ordering online but it seems there are a number
of things that need to be inspected like checking for canted sights, trigger, quality of riveting, etc...

The last FFL I had a gun shipped to didn't quite get it that I needed to inspect the gun before accepting delivery. (This is Bud's return policy)
If you find an issue, you need to refuse delivery and the return to Bud's is free.
Perhaps I need to find a different FFL or just purchase it from a local gun shop.

I know that there are blued parts and wonder if there is a quality protectant
that would truly prevent rust from developing.
Old March 1, 2014, 04:13 PM   #9
nemesiss45

A couple guys I work with swear by frog lube... never used it myself, but I live in the desert. Any gun should be ok if you put a quality rust protectant lube on it and keep it in a safe/case with desicant in it.
Old March 1, 2014, 06:09 PM   #10
UtahHunting

Quote:
Any gun should be ok if you put a quality rust protectant lube on it and keep it in a safe/case with desicant in it.
+1 on this, just keep it coated with something decent, remoil or CLP would work as well.
Old March 1, 2014, 08:11 PM   #11
USMC 77-81

Hungarian F.E.G. SA 85 if you can find one, they are considered by many to be the finest of the Kalashnikov series.
Old March 1, 2014, 11:35 PM   #12
TheFineLine

WASRs are Romanian not Yugo. WASRs came with 10 round magazines and Century (or whomever) hogged out the magwell and put in a couple of small plates to mitigate the mag wobble. They are the bottom of the barrel for AKs. Don't buy one you can't inspect. The same goes for any Century products. I have a Century Polish PMKMS and it is a fantastic shooter. I picked it out of a large lot and got the best one. Good AKs; as previously mentioned Arsenals are great, then Polytech, Bulgarian, Polish, Yugo (good rifles but parts aren't as common), Norinco, and Romanian in that order. I don't know why you wouldn't want a bayonet lug. It's a small piece of metal under the gas block. It would certainly help with resale. To my knowledge most come Parkerized, not blued. In a very humid climate they'll all need attention. Here's a pic of my Polish. I have since found a Polish PKM laminate grip and replaced the bakelite. Thats a Texas Weapons System dog leg rail with peep. It replaced the rear leaf sight and pretty much doubled the sight radius. 3,000+ rounds now and still hittin 3ish moa (the dot is 3 moa so.....). 22 cents a round, you just can't beat'em.
Old March 2, 2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Mokumbear

Thank you!

Thanks for the WASR correction.

I come here to learn and avoid making costly mistakes.
Old March 2, 2014, 08:19 PM   #14
Venom1956

Get a saiga sporter. Convert it at your leisure
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old March 3, 2014, 07:51 PM   #15
Bart Noir

I dislike the Arsenal versions (or any others) that put the front sight on top of the gas block.

Reducing the sight radius is not good for accurate shooting.

I am wondering which AK I should buy, just like the OP. And I wholly agree with inspecting before buying, when dealing with the Century Arms products.

My Century Arms Yugo underfolder had the front sight base canted noticeably. I eventually had a 'smith redo it so that the front sight post was not cranked almost all the way over. When I get serious about buying an AK I have a plastic ruler with me.

Laying the plastic ruler vertically alongside the rear sight block and then gazing past it at the front sight base, gives a good idea of how much they are parallel, or not.

Bart Noir
Old March 5, 2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Skans

Polish underfolder with chrome lined barrel, professionally built on a good 1.5mm receiver.

Get the underfolder. Believe me, they will be the first to get banned. I speak from experience. In 1989, I was lucky to be able to purchase a Polytech stamped receiver fixed stock. Price $400. The Polytech and Norinco underfolders were all snapped up everywhere just after the import ban was announced. The fixed stock AK's didn't get snapped up as fast, and I was lucky to be able to get one. I should have bought all 4 that the dealer had left for sale. Also, don't worry too much about the bayonet lug - that was so '90's and no one cares anymore. FWIW, they were importing Polytechs so fast that there was absolutely no finish on the stock or fore end pieces when I bought mine - just raw wood.

Last edited by Skans; March 5, 2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old June 6, 2014, 01:10 PM   #17
Mokumbear

O PAP vs N PAP?

I have seen some You Tube videos praise the O PAP but I can't
seem to locate any for sale online.

Just how annoying is this "cheek slap"?
Do both models do this?

Apparently both models have a blued finish.
How can you keep an infrequently used blued rifle from rusting
in a humid climate?

My only other reservation is that I don't have particularly long arms.
It would be nice to find a mid priced AK in the "Warsaw length".

Your thoughts?
Old June 6, 2014, 05:57 PM   #18
Kirkpatrick

I say get a Norinco MAK 90. Those rifles were actually designed to be used by illiterate peasants in the jungles of south east Asia. When they shipped them over to the U.S. they had to do a bunch of stuff to them so they would be neutered. But at heart, they are rifles designed for combat under adverse situations, with a emphasis on durability and longevity.

You'll spend a little money and some effort converting them from sporters to something more familiar and 922r compliant, but this is a gun that was still being cranked out in the eighties as a weapon to be used against the "Capitalist Oppressors" to usher in a new age for the "Workers of the World".

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't realize how old topic was.

Last edited by Kirkpatrick; June 6, 2014 at 10:32 PM.