The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 6, 2014, 08:05 PM   #26
Revoliver

Ruger.
Old February 6, 2014, 09:50 PM   #27
Jay24bal

When it comes to being a fanboy, I am squarely in the Savage camp. Every single bolt gun I own is a Savage. I did not intend for this to be the case, but every time I go looking for a new bolt gun, I end up with a Savage for a variety of reasons.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 7, 2014, 02:26 PM   #28
ColColt

I don't cull any of them. I have or have had Winchester, Remington, Sako mostly. Never had a Browning or Savage. As long as they'll give MOA or less, I don't care whose name's on the barrel or action.

I do have a slight preference to the Model 70, however.
Old February 7, 2014, 03:18 PM   #29
Kleab

CZ, Winchester, and Savage. No particular order.
"We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves, their friends, and property, and the government, from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency, where immediate appeal cannot be made to the laws, and relief afforded."
~Doctrine and Covenants 134:11
Old February 7, 2014, 03:19 PM   #30
SIGSHR

Last time I took inventory, I found I had 10 Mosin-Nagants and 8 Lee Enfields.
As a 'collector" (read:accumulator) it's pretty much whatever strikes my fancy at the time.
Old February 7, 2014, 04:13 PM   #31
Sierra280

I have more Remington's than any other brand, but I wouldn't say I'm committed to Remington. My next rifle build is going to be a Winchester model 70 action.
Old February 7, 2014, 06:53 PM   #32
hooligan1

Im definitely a Savage fan, but first and foremost Im a big fan of accurate rifles that dont cost me a mortgage payment, so exclaiming namebrands really in all honesty is hypcritical. I like working on rifles that are inherintly accurate but need to be coaxed to the apex.
I choose to buy used rifles in used condition yo satisfy my instincts of hands on gunsmithing.... Im not set up to machine or mill parts, so I have to get the best out of stocks and triggers and bedding and scope mounting and handloading... It keeps me young!
Old February 7, 2014, 07:24 PM   #33
osirus82

I have shot a bunches of rifles from all sorts of makers but I really like FN. I'm currently considering getting a new bolt gun and am debating getting the mossberg flex .308 or a remington 700 .308. If i get the 700 I would want to upgrade the stock to the whisky-3.
Old February 7, 2014, 07:51 PM   #34
BingoFuel

I'm a big Tikka supporter at the moment.
Not because I lived in Finland for a few years but rather they really seem like the best performance you can get for the price. A very wide range of cartridges, stock designs, many in left-hand (which I need) though I assume they come right-handed as well. Excellent repeatability (accuracy). Wood and synthetic stocks, stainless and blued. Amazingly smooth action. And to me, they're not bad looking either.
I've not tried their sniper rifles -22 and -44 but I suppose they're great as well.
Despite all that, I'm not a fan boy. That is, I'm happy to look at other brands and models but for conventional bolt-operated rifles so far I've ended up with Tikka.
B

Last edited by BingoFuel; February 7, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 9, 2014, 12:49 PM   #35
Colt46

I have a fondness for Remington

First rifle was a Mountain Rifle in .280. Beautiful and accurate gun.
My next will likely be savage though. I like the price point and the ease of customer DIY available on their platform.
Old February 9, 2014, 01:09 PM   #36
Picher

I have two Remington 700's, and should soon have a third. Remington actions are round-bottomed and tend to be easy to bed. They have had better triggers in the past, but that's an easy replacement, if necessary.

Rem 700 wood stocks tend to fit my face better than most others. I like the pistol grip shape and safety location. Felt recoil seems to be less than some others, especially Savages that I've shot. That's a function of stock fit.

When a rifle tends to fit like it was made for you, whatever rifle that is, buy it...providing you know enough about how a rifle should fit you.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:31 PM   #37
Rmart30

I think a lot of companies make good rifles.. For centerfire bolt guns I only buy Remington 700's (and one model 7).

My first centerfire was a Remmy 700 and ive just stuck with them. Whatever caliber I grab out of the safe the triggers (timney) are all the same # pull, and everything else in in the same place.
Old February 10, 2014, 10:42 AM   #38
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
Remington actions are round-bottomed and tend to be easy to bed. They have had better triggers in the past, but that's an easy replacement, if necessary.
I have always thought of that as a disadvantage for bedding. I have done a Model 70 and I found it easy and straightforward because of the flat receiver bottom and the integral recoil lug.

I am about to find out about bedding round steel pipe receivers because I have a Marlin XS7 to bed into a Boyd's stock.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:10 AM   #39
coldbeer

Yes I will only buy rifles made by Marlin, Savage, Ruger, Remington, Tikka, TC, Sako, AO, Winchester and a couple dozen other companies I can't think of right now. Why limit yourself?
Old February 10, 2014, 11:21 AM   #40
Jim243

Quote:
Do you have a brand of rifle you are committed to?
Yes I do, but it will change depending on what the rifle is for.

22 LR - Ruger
Bolt Action Rifles - Savage
Lever Action Rifles - Marlin
AR Rifles - Bushmaster
22 Mag - Marlin
Military - SKS

So yes I do have a favorite brand.

Jim
Old February 10, 2014, 11:43 AM   #41
Picher

Quote:
I have always thought of that as a disadvantage for bedding. I have done a Model 70 and I found it easy and straightforward because of the flat receiver bottom and the integral recoil lug.
The problem with a flat-bottomed action, especially in a wood stock, is that as wood dries, it shrinks away from the metal and tends to string shots sideways. If a synthetic stock doesn't fit well, the same can happen.

On a round-bottomed action, tightening the stock screws tends to center the action, even if there's a bit of space at the top.

All else being equal, most target/benchrest rifles have rounded actions, often Remingtons.
Old February 10, 2014, 11:52 AM   #42
kraigwy

Model 70 Winchesters
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 10, 2014, 12:19 PM   #43
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher
The problem with a flat-bottomed action, especially in a wood stock, is that as wood dries, it shrinks away from the metal and tends to string shots sideways. If a synthetic stock doesn't fit well, the same can happen.

On a round-bottomed action, tightening the stock screws tends to center the action, even if there's a bit of space at the top.

All else being equal, most target/benchrest rifles have rounded actions, often Remingtons.
To the first statement, I would think this would not matter when bedded properly with a good bedding material like Devcon or Marine-Tex. There would be very little shrinkage.

To the bolded statement, I know of some respected shooters like Bart B. that might argue that the reason Remington actions are used for more target rifles over Winchester 70 actions has nothing to do with the Remington being better or more suitable in any way.
Old February 10, 2014, 02:58 PM   #44
riche

I'm in the Remington camp as well, I have 4 mod.700's and 1 mod.7600. Haven't had any reason to try any others.
Old February 12, 2014, 07:25 PM   #45
Pathfinder45

Legends of Long-ago Hunts

Not being enamoured with the modern world, I prefer guns of a bygone age. So when I go away from civilization to hunt the backwoods I don't want it to feel like this is 2014. I will have to come back to all that; but for my all-too-brief escape, I can not tolerate a plastic stocked rifle. There's just something about an old Winchester with well worn bluing that you can't buy in a new rifle. If I had to choose a Savage it would have to be an older model 99; with its rotary-spool magazine, it's a marvelous contraption, don't you think? Older Winchesters and Marlins are what I'm drawn to the most. Hmmmm, a back-woods hunting camp that has nothing newer than the 1950's....... Yep, a trusty old Winchester loaded with vintage Silvertips. What more could you possibly want?
Old February 12, 2014, 08:17 PM   #46
RaySendero

Rifle Brand Preference

Quote:
kraigwy wrote:

Model 70 Winchesters

Yep - Me, too. Got 2 pre-64 M70s that are very accurate.

PS: But, also, got 2 Rem M700s that are even more accurate.
Old February 13, 2014, 09:59 PM   #47
Pathfinder45

More specifically......

Bolt action rifle of preference, (strong preference): Model 70 Winchester, duh... Lever action rifle of preference: Well I wish I could afford an 1886 Winchester, but since I can't let's go with a model 94 Winchester from the mid-1940's or earlier or model 55 Winchester. If we have to go more modern I would opt for a Marlin 336-T. An older Savage 99 with the spool magazine and side safety is respectable also, but it's in a class of it's own. I'm not much into pump rifles but there again Winchester shines and we all know that the model 1912 Winchester is the Holy Grail of pump shotguns; but this is a rifle forum. Suffice it to say that Winchester is not the only good brand of firearms out there; but generally, many of its products are among the very best. Additionally, if matters to you aesthetically, when the Old West was at its wildest, Winchester was there. Go with the Legend; go Winchester.
Old February 14, 2014, 09:54 AM   #48
Rifletom

Ruger or Sako here. My Sako is an older Finnbear in .270 Win[circa '68-69?] and is usually the rifle I go to first. Nothing wrong with my Ruger's, just really like that Sako!
Old February 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #49
SCgman

Liambobbi and I share the same feeling about the TC Icons. So I'm partial to any make that uses the same features.

The closest off-the-shelf rifle I've found to an Icon for a very affordable price was the Winchester Mod 70 "extreme sporter", a blued version of the extreme weather for about 2/3s the cost. I can't bring myself to spring for a Weatherby Mark V accumark, or a Sako Tecomate ($1300-$1800).

A couple of wthby vanguards end up in BC medalist full alum block stocks at my house.

I'm not manufacturer driven, I am feature driven for an affordable price.
Old February 14, 2014, 07:44 PM   #50
Slamfire

I think the M98 action the best, but FN stopped making good M98 actions in the 50's, and since then, it has been Winchester M70's for me. I prefer the controlled round feed, but the push feeds are good.

While the gas venting in a M70 is not as good as a M98, I learned to wear shooting glasses.

There are other actions, but the M70 is the smoothest and slickest in my opinion. The modern FN made M70's are excellent.