The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Semi auto shooter looking for first Revolver

For anyone following my thread in T&T, I've decided to follow a path of firearms learning with an end goal of becoming an instructor and developing marketable skills doing what I love to do. I'm beginning with handguns.

I'm pretty familiar with how semi automatic handguns of all different types function, but something I have no experience with is revolvers and that's something that needs fixing. So I'm looking for a first revolver. It needs to be:

Double action
Under $400 (if such a thing exists)
Long enough barrel for accurate enough shooting (minute of pie plate at 15-20 yards) but short enough for concealment
Not way a ton
Needs to go boom when I pull the trigger
Prefer 6 rounds, will consider 5
Prefer .38/.357, will consider smaller or equivalent rounds including .32 but nothing like a .44 magnum
Prefer exposed hammer but not necessary.

Gotta do some working and some saving for a while so it won't be an immediate purchase, but need to know what kinds of things I should be looking for. I'm not just getting a revolver because I have to -- it's a new facet I hadn't explored before and now I have a reason to make the financial jump. So I am looking for something that will be interesting to shoot, but there's no reason that something has to be expensive or fancy if it shoots well enough.

Last edited by dakota.potts; November 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM.
Old November 10, 2013, 11:49 PM   #2
arizona98tj

New or used?
Old November 10, 2013, 11:53 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Whatever gets the job done. I don't know enough about revolvers to judge a used one but a lot of the LGS have them and I'm sure I could find a fair one on gunbroker or a similar site.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:06 AM   #4
arizona98tj

I have a couple of Ruger revolvers and a Smith & Wesson. In the used market, if you can find a Ruger Security Six or Ruger Service Six, grab one if it looks to be in good condition. I've had my Security Six since the '70s and will never part with it. Mine has a 4" barrel.

Old November 11, 2013, 12:10 AM   #5
dakota.potts

They look great and I will look for one, but they do seem to be running a little higher than I can pay.

How do they conceal? Concealing (legally) at a place of business, it would be important for it to not be seen and the 4" barrel seems a little unwieldy for that. I'm a very small guy. However, I'm open to trying something like a belly band or appendix carry if it works.
Old November 11, 2013, 02:45 AM   #6
Crazy88Fingers

Re: Semi auto shooter looking for first Revolver

So are you looking for a concealable revolver, or something with six shots and a long barrel?

If you want something you can conceal at work a .38 snub is your best bet. But this will have a short barrel and only hold five rounds. Everyone makes one, they're all about the same. They aren't particularly easy to shoot accurately for a revolver newbie though.

If you want something with a decently long barrel and six shots a S&W Model 10 or Ruger Security/Service/Speed Six will do just fine in your price range.

A Ruger SP-101 might make for a decent compromise.
Old November 11, 2013, 03:21 AM   #7
dakota.potts

Doing just a very minimal amount of research, I've accepted 5 shots may be necessary. It's looking like maybe a 3" barrel will be a good compromise between just enough accuracy yet still concealable? But that seems to be a hard length to find.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Colt46

I'd say the Model 15

A perfect compromise on weight, balance, power and pointability.
Think you are limited to 4 or 6" Barrels, but have heard of a limited run of 2" for certain LE agencies.
Old November 11, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Mastrogiacomo

Off the top of my head, a used SP 101 3" or 2". I have the DAO version and it's a tank and even a new one shouldn't cost much more than what you're looking to spend. A used S&W model 36 or 640 would conceal well too although the Rugers will probably stay closer to your $$ range. I'd stay away from light weight guns as they're not much fun to shoot when it gets colder and you should practice with a gun you carry often.

Laura
Old November 11, 2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Cousin Pat

first revolver

Since you're just starting and will probably be changing your mind as your experience grows, I would begin with a used gun and not take the hit from buying new. In terms of history, Smith & Wesson has to be the starting point for DA revolvers - Model 10 (fixed sights) and Model 15 (adj. sights) comes to mind, both typically with 4" barrels. There are lots of other used Smiths around -- I would be looking for barrels in the 4-6" range. The 6" N-frames (model 27 for example in .357) might also work but thye are big, heavy guns that might not be a great place to start. The Smith K-frames (like the 10 and 15) are probably a better choice. Besides Smith, I would also consider Ruger -- "like a rock" guns, perhaps not as refined as the Smiths.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:44 PM   #11
BigJimP

4" barrels ...are as long as I'd consider carrying ...and I'd prefer a K frame S&W ( model 19's either blued or nickel ) or the newer model 66's ( stainless )....

you'll have to look long and hard for a good model 19 or 66 under $ 400 / in excellent condition, in my area, they'll be at least $ 600 - $ 700....but you will find some older model 19's - that were primarily duty guns / with a lot of holster wear - but were not shot much / and collectors will pass on them because of the holster wear...you need to shop for them ( gun shows, used gun shops ..)....
Old November 11, 2013, 06:42 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

If you're okay with 5 shorts and a 3" barrel, the Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special fits the description perfectly.

They've been around for decades - a proven gun in the real world. And 44 Special is an inherently accurate round and thumps pretty darn hard at close range. Speer makes excellent short-barrel ammo that is perfectly suited for defense in the Bulldog.

My two pennies.
Old November 11, 2013, 08:48 PM   #13
Obambulate

If you'll be teaching concealed handgun classes, then the most common revolvers for concealment are the S&W Airweight J-frame and the Ruger LCR. These weigh roughly 15-oz and are among the hardest handguns to shoot well. There are also similar-sized revolvers in steel, which handle recoil better but are heavier to carry.
Old November 12, 2013, 10:47 AM   #14
Crazy88Fingers

Quote:
If you're okay with 5 shorts and a 3" barrel, the Charter Arms Bulldog 44 Special fits the description perfectly.
I have a Bulldog and love it. But I would absolutely not recommend it for a first revolver. Snubs seem to be difficult enough for most people, let alone a lightweight .44.

Plus, good luck feeding it. .44 Special ammo is expensive, if you can find it.

Stick with a good .38/.357.