The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 2, 2013, 05:12 AM   #26
TenRing

To the OP: Unless you are planning to go into business as a gun dealer, resale value should not be much of a factor in the decision. You have already narrowed your choice down to great options and a suitable caliber.

At this point, the most important things are (1) how the gun feels in your hand, (2) availability of suitable holsters, accessories, grips, etc, and (3) size and concealability and (4) your accuracy with the gun.

If it feels good when you pick it up, you will develop accuracy through practice.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Viper225

The first consideration is: How are you going to carry it??

If the answer is a holster on the belt, get a Steel J Frame it will kick less. The 640, 649, 60 etc will work as well as an SP101 Ruger. Then get a quality leather holster such as a Lobo Model 1 Pancake to carry in.

If you are planning on pocket carry you will be looking at airweights. I am currently carrying a 442 Pro, I have also owned an LCR 357, and currently own an LCR 22. You are correct in that you can tell a difference between an LCR 38 and an LCR 357 in your pocket.
Between an LCR 38 and an LCR 357 it is a tough call. The 357 being heavier should kick less with 38 +P carry ammo. You could also put a 357 Short Barrel in it for the last shot for Defensice Carry.

If I had a an LCR 38, and LCR 357, and a 442 to pick from for pocket carry, what would I pick???

I would probably pick the LCR 357 of the Three
The LCR Ruger has a Pinned on Front Sight. It is easy and cheap to change to Fiber Optic or an XS 24/7 Tritium Night sight.
The added weight while noticable is not a show stopper for pocket carry.
It is built a little tougher than the 38 version.
Nothing wrong with a 442 Pro either. I have Green Site Brite sight paint on the front sight, and I can pick it up well. Great choice of after markey grips for the J Frame.
It would be hard to go wrong with either choice. My 442 Pro Moon Clip with Hogue Checkered Walnut grips does look better than the LCR.

For belt carry what would I pick????

Between a 640 and a Ruger SP101, it would be a tough choice.
Again I like the Pinned on Front Sight of the Ruger.
But I can live with Green Sight Brite on the S&W.
Either is again a great choice.

Looks like you have it pretty much narrowed down. Now for availability and price. Either may be a little hard to come up with at a reasonable price at the moment.

Bob
Old March 5, 2013, 09:20 PM   #28
WildBill45

I would not worry about the "Kick" "Recoil" of the .357 ... if someone is standing before you with a weapon, you will never feel it. You can practice with standard .38 loads, where you may feel it, maybe not.

How it shoots for you, and if it points naturally, and if it is reliable with RELIABLE being the number one consideration. You will carry it more if it is lighter, no matter what any part-time carry guy says. Take it from me, ask any cop or other LE PRO who has made a lifetime of carry part of his life ... you will only end up carrying what it is light, and convenient. Part time guys can carry a S&W 500 in a shoulder rig, no problems! If do not carry, the caliber, size, weight, or function will NOT MATTER!!!

So buy what you WILL CARRY. Forget the Macho movie guys, forget the arm chair guys with gun magazines next to the toilet ... WHAT WILL YOU CARRY EVERYDAY for one purpose ... protect yourself, what will that one be???

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old March 8, 2013, 07:18 AM   #29
MLeake

As far as the CT grips go, it sounds like the 442 you tried had the LG-305 grip setup, which is longer than the grip frame.

I prefer the LG-405, which is boot grip length (only fractionally longer than the grip frame) and covers the backstrap. It's a very comfortable grip, IMO.

I have long fingers, so the slightly larger circumference afforded by the 405 gives me a better grip; while I generally prefer to have a little finger rest, I don't find it necessary with that setup.
Old March 8, 2013, 07:01 PM   #30
Eagleks

OP : from what you said, I would point you towards an SP101 and have you shoot it, and then see what you thought. I'm betting you would like it and would solve a few of the issues you are having.

Tags
lcr , s&w