The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 13, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1
tgreening

Question about Roni G1

I'm a little confused on the registration requirements on this item. Which part needs to be registered as the SBR? The Roni, or the the pistiol being put inside of it? One of the websites I visited made it sound like you had to register the Roni, but that doesn't make a tremendous amount of sense to me. On the other hand if you had multiple handguns of the same frame and manufacturer but different caliber, I could see where you might want to swap them in and out, and in that case it would make more sense (and be cheaper) to register the Roni instead of each individual handgun.

Any definitive answer on this (yes, I know I could just email the maker, but then I wouldn't be getting to know folks on here.)
Old February 14, 2011, 02:22 AM   #2
David Hineline

You need to register the pistol, the Roni is just a stock like any other stock.
Old February 24, 2011, 02:32 PM   #3
Jmattm

Registered as a SBR

I understand you would need to register the pistol in conjunction with the conversion as an SBR, but would that in turn restrict you from carrying the pistol alone as a concealed weapon? I don't think it would if you didn't have the conversion in your immediate possession, but I'd really like a citing of a definite answer if anyone knows.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:11 AM   #4
smince

Quote:
I understand you would need to register the pistol in conjunction with the conversion as an SBR, but would that in turn restrict you from carrying the pistol alone as a concealed weapon? I don't think it would if you didn't have the conversion in your immediate possession, but I'd really like a citing of a definite answer if anyone knows.
Depnds, as this is one of those ATF gray areas.

I've seen a letter from ATF saying that the gun had to be transported and stored in SBR configuration and could only be put back into pistol configuration for a short time at the range. Since the gun is now registered as an SBR (not a 'pistol' anymore) this makes sense.

Others say they have a letter saying it is OK to carry it as a handgun without the stock.

Personally, I'd like to carry the gun as a pistol and one of the snap on stocks in my EDC bag to put on if needed.
Old March 5, 2011, 04:58 PM   #5
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by smince
I've seen a letter from ATF saying that the gun had to be transported and stored in SBR configuration and could only be put back into pistol configuration for a short time at the range. Since the gun is now registered as an SBR (not a 'pistol' anymore) this makes sense.
If you have a link to this letter, I would like to see it.

I have a SBR 9mm AR style. I have discussed transporting this firearm into states that have outlawed SBR's. I have been informed by ATF and the State Police of that state that as long as the rifle is in "legal configuration" you can transport it into the state. They don't care if it's on the NFA registry or not, as long as you leave the short barrel at home, you're fine.

The thought process is that weather it's on the NFA registry, or NOT, you can change the configuration as you wish. When it's a PISTOL, it's a pistol. When you put the stock on it, it's an SBR, and the SBR rules would apply.

Since I am waiting on the Form 1 for my Glock, I will indeed write a letter to the ATF to ask them about this very topic, but I would expect this to take a year or so before I get an answer back. (I have written one letter in the past, and have yet to hear from the ATF.)
Old March 5, 2011, 05:33 PM   #6
smince

Quote:
If you have a link to this letter, I would like to see it.
Sorry no link or copy. It belonged to someone I knew who lived out of state.

Alabama didn't allow SBR/SBS until last year, so it was really just of academic interest at the time I saw it.
Quote:
When it's a PISTOL, it's a pistol. When you put the stock on it, it's an SBR, and the SBR rules would apply.
The pistol becomes an SBR when it is registered whether there is a stock on it or not.

Just more ATF silliness, but a definitive answer would be great.
Old March 5, 2011, 11:02 PM   #7
rjrivero

Quote:
Originally Posted by simince
The pistol becomes an SBR when it is registered whether there is a stock on it or not.
I have drafted this letter. I will be sending it to the ATF on Monday.

I have a letter in to the ATF dated July, 2010, and they still haven't answered that letter. I would not expect to hear from them on this letter for at least a year.

It makes little difference. The Glock I'm putting the stock on is pretty much a range toy anyway, so it's really academic for my purposes, but I will send this letter. Please let me know if you think it needs a little tweaking. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF Letter
March 5, 2011

Dear Sir or Ma'am,

I am writing you this letter in order to gain some clarification on a couple questions regarding transport and use of a Glock Handgun registered as a Short Barrel Rifle.

I have a Glock Handgun, and have submitted a Form 5320.1 to convert this pistol into a Short Barrel rifle using a RONI stock/conversion. Product information is available on this web site: http://www.ematactical.com/viewProdu...=267&catID=376 with enclosed descriptions and pictures from that website enclosed.

As you can see, the pistol remains un-altered and can be placed into this stock/frame to create a short barrel rifle. Once the firearm is placed into this frame, CAN I REMOVE IT and USE IT AS A HANDGUN?

If so, are there ANY RESTRICTIONS on CARRYING THE HANDGUN OR USING THE HANDGUN?
For instance, if the stock was to be left in the safe, could the pistol be used in it's original handgun configuration? Would I need to file a 5320.20 or write a letter for transporting this handgun across state lines provided the stock is left in the safe at the address of record? Could this handgun be transported into a state that does NOT ALLOW SHORT BARREL RIFLES, provided the stock is left in my home state? If the handgun is removed from the SBR Frame, can that handgun be carried as a handgun in accordance with all the applicable state and federal laws and permits? In essence, when a handgun is registered as a short barrel rifle, and the handgun is removed from the stock/frame, can the handgun be used as any other handgun, or would it be forever used as a SHORT BARREL RIFLE and SHORT BARREL RIFLE RULES APPLY FULL TIME, REGUARDLESS OF CONFIGURATION?

Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation.

Last edited by rjrivero; March 5, 2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old March 6, 2011, 07:38 AM   #8
smince

Sounds good to me.

I look forward to an answer.