The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 18, 2008, 02:08 PM   #1
INGunGuy

Concealed Carry vs Carry but not concealed.

Ok, this may sound stupid, but here goes. I live in Indiana, and because I do, I had to get a "Carry Permit" to carry my handgun whether in my car, truck, or my person. If I am going to the gunsmith, the range, or just walking down the street. In Indiana it is not a Concealed Carry Permit, it is just a "personal Protection Carry Permit" Ok, well since to be able to carry a handgun whether concealed or not, I had to get my permit, does that mean I have to conceal the firearm while I am carrying it, or can I just put in on my hip holster and go? My concern comes from the fact that I try and keep my firearm concealed, but since I carry a Smith and Wesson 4046 it is a fairly large gun, and it can be a bit difficult to keep concealed. If there is anyone out there that can let me know, I appreciate it.

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:14 PM   #2
KLRANGL

Are you asking from a legal standpoint or a pros and cons of each standpoint?
Old December 18, 2008, 02:21 PM   #3
csmsss

Every state's carry laws can vary, and unless someone on this forum is a lawyer licensed to practice in Indiana and familiar and up to date on Indiana laws, all anyone here can give you is an opinion.

I'm entirely unfamiliar with Indiana's laws, and for all I know your understanding that you *may be* able to carry your firearm openly may be correct; however, depending upon where you exercise this practice, you may find yourself the subject of unwanted scrutiny - particularly from LEO's. Do you really want cops following you around? If so, then be sure to carry openly in a heavily populated urban area. As in all things, discretion is a nice behavioral attribute to practice; just because you *can* do something legally doesn't mean it's a good idea.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
INGunGuy

I understand the issues with carrying a firearm out in the open, and I am not wanting to strap on a couple of pistols on each hip, sling my AR-15 over my shoulder and walk down main street. I also understand that unless someone is a licensed lawyer in Indiana, that all I can get is a best estimate on what is legal and what isnt. I am just concerned that if for some reason my gun comes out of my concealed location if it may or may not be legal.

I appreciate all information!

INGunGuy
Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:29 PM   #5
csmsss

Quote:
I am just concerned that if for some reason my gun comes out of my concealed location if it may or may not be legal.
Certainly a valid concern, and one reason why so many are constantly "upgrading" their holsters, seeking that perfect compromise between security, concealability and ease/speed of access.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:58 PM   #6
The Great Mahoo

I reccommend checking out http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal...state-laws.php for info on carrying.

Edit: Fixed url.

Last edited by The Great Mahoo; December 18, 2008 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 18, 2008, 02:59 PM   #7
INGunGuy

Well I just got off the phone with the local police department, and I am under no obligation to conceal my firearm. Of course I am not looking to just keep it out for all to see and wonder about. But legally, there is nothing illegal about having my firearm out in the open. I guess since I carry such a large firearm I will have to just continue to make sure it stays under wraps...

I appreciate all the info.

INGunGuy
Old December 18, 2008, 03:14 PM   #8
The Great Mahoo

Thats good to know. Here in PA, open carry is legal but a premit is needed for concealed carry. I have such a permit and pretty much only carry concealed (unless at the range and doing holster drills), but its good to not have any threat of legal recourse if it slips into sight on accident.
Old December 18, 2008, 05:48 PM   #9
INGunGuy

Yes it is. The one strange thing about Indiana is that anyone can get a permit to carry for personal protection for their lifetime for a total of $125.00 $50 goes to local LEO. $75 goes to state of Indiana. No test, no course, no range work, nothing. That is of course if they can legally own a firearm.

The handgun laws in Indiana are of the nature that you can NOT carry a handgun anywhere, anytime for any reason at all. You can own and carry a handgun in your home or fixed place of business, PERIOD! You can ONLY carry a unloaded handgun to your residence or fixed place of business within 24 hours of purchase from a licensed dealer using your receipt as proof. You can also move from your residence or fixed place of business and you can carry the unloaded handgun in a locked gun container separated physically from ammunition to your new residence or fixed place of business. You can NOT carry your handgun to the range, you can NOT carry your handgun in your car, you can NOT carry a handgun in any other shape form or fashion. Unless you get a permit to carry license. So I guess that is why anyone who can legally own a handgun can get a license.

INGunGuy
Old December 23, 2008, 02:56 AM   #10
chris in va

Interesting. Now I have a FL non-res permit that has reciprocity with IN. I live right across the river in Louisville. Do I have all the privileges of the IL carry permit?

I guess I should call the LEO's in Indiana to be sure...
Old December 26, 2008, 01:34 AM   #11
INGunGuy

As long as Indiana has reciprocity with IL, then you are safe to CCW in Indiana. But, I highly recommend you contact the local LEO.

INGunGuy

Tags
ccw , concealed , handgun , indiana , permit