The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 29, 2012, 06:47 PM   #51
PeterGreg

I get all the closet I want it's just down the hall in the spare bedroom
Old October 29, 2012, 07:24 PM   #52
hermannr

I have a covered firing line just off the garage (it's supposed to be a carport addon to the garage) 90% of our ammo is locked in the garage, the rest is in loaded mags or in firearms in the house. Only unloaded ammo in the house is SD ammo...not for targets or general plinking...no the ammo in the house is not locked up, it out where I can get to it if I need it.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:59 PM   #53
Jay24bal

Next to the safe

I keep my ammo in Cabela's ammo boxes stacked up next to the safe. One box for each caliber I have. It is just my wife and I in the house with no kids. For many of the reasons already cited here, I see no need to lock up the ammo as well.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old October 31, 2012, 05:02 PM   #54
STW

My reloading bench is sort of in the middle of the basement because of all the demands for wall space from my wife. It's approximately 3x4 feet with two shelves. The bottom shelf is reserved mostly for ammo in waterproof ammo cans from Cabelas. The extra weight keeps the bench from moving.

The best I've seen is a friend who noticed all the empty space under his concrete front porch when his house was being built. For an extra $1500 the builder knocked a hole in his basement wall to under the porch and converted the space to a gun room. Concrete walls, floor, and ceiling. A safe door for a door (another $1500). It's probably 15 or more long and at least 10 feet wide at it's wide point. The entrance is concealed behind a screen in the utility room.

Pretty slick. However, he's so proud of it he shows it to everyone who comes to visit.

He has a gun safe in the garage too, in case he runs out of room. It could happen. He has 1000 rounds of .50 BMG alone on one shelf.
Old November 1, 2012, 04:59 AM   #55
chanroc

Back in 2011, I kept all my ammo (rifle/handgun/shotgun) in my footlocker. Enter 2012 - for some reason, I was compelled to be part of Obama's stimulus plan and stalk up on ammo. So now my footlocker is full, I have about ten GI ammo cans of various calibers, and a closet shelf lined full of .22 bulk packs. The only thing in my safe are my guns and small valuables.

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2
Old November 3, 2012, 06:28 PM   #56
mitchntx

Not all of it ...

I'm surprised that $30 wire shelf aquired at Lowe's holds up to all the weight.

I also have about 30 ammo boxes with various calibers stored away elsewhere.

When I find a deal, I stock up. Over time, it adds up.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:24 PM   #57
Chaz88

Quote:
You get an EIGHTH of the big closet??? Wow, I can't even imagine getting so much
I do not necessarily recommend it but a divorce will net you all the closet space and a comfortable spare bedroom to be turned into the gun room, also you do not have to talk about the new gun purchase with anyone but yourself.

I grew up with all the guns and ammo unsecured. Now I lock up some of the guns, for theft protection. The low use ammo and reloading stuff goes on a shelf in the gun room. The stuff I am using more is in cans and the stuff I am using a lot is probably on the floor in the back seat of my truck. The gun room has a pad lock but I do not use it much.

By the way I do still have one kid at home. She is a great hunting and shooting buddy. Mostly I use the gun room lock if she has friends over.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 3, 2012, 07:27 PM   #58
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have a secure room for ammo and reloading equipment. Years ago, I kept ammo in the gun safe, but quickly ran out of room for it. I keep a few loaded pistol mags and a few loaded AR mags, the rest is in my room. I do however keep extra ammo for my M-500 12gauge in my bedroom near the shotgun.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old November 3, 2012, 08:10 PM   #59
Master Blaster 2

All kept in a gun room.
Old November 4, 2012, 07:20 AM   #60
Kreyzhorse

I keep mine in a several mil surplus ammo cans in a different part of the house.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:54 PM   #61
Edward429451

Some is in the safe, some on shelves in the gun room, some is the MBR closet in case I get pinned down in the night...
Old November 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #62
whiskyrunner

my place is tiny, and way out in the country, the guns are kept in my bedroom closet, except for 4 on a gunrack, ammo is in the boxes it came in on the top shelf of the closet, no wife, no kids, no grandkids, no problem!
i am however saving for a gunsafe, and reloading equipment, any input would be great. i will ask about the reloading stuff in the proper section
Old November 4, 2012, 07:35 PM   #63
Master Blaster 2

P.S. Walmart has the plastic ammo boxes for only $10.00. Best price anyware and they seal up.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:15 AM   #64
kilimanjaro

Looking at the photo above, I now have ammo envy....
Old November 15, 2012, 03:34 PM   #65
mj246

My meager ammo supply is locked in a plastic toolbox in the closet.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:01 PM   #66
vito

That sounds very sad.
Old November 15, 2012, 04:22 PM   #67
zincwarrior

Quote:
Not the same safe, but a secured "locker". More like a closet with a metal exterior door with dead bolt lock in it. Plus the "gun room" that contains the safes, ammo locker, work bench, and reloading bench is also secured with a metal door with 2 dead bolt locks. No windows, 3 concrete exterior walls, and the partition wall is also framed with metal studs, reinforced, then dry walled on the outside, exterior wood paneling on the inside. In addition it is in the back of a laundry room with cloths racks in front of the door so it is not as noticeable. Then of course there are the alarms.
Thats not a room. Thats a bunker!

Quote:
Indeed! In my Lotto dreams I don't have that much ammo. I am not worthy!

Last edited by zincwarrior; November 15, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 05:27 PM   #68
SPEMack618

I actually just got a call from my Mother informing me that when I get home for the holidays, all my ammo is to be stowed in a closet, basement or somewhere out of sight. Apparently my sister tripped and fell over a case of shotgun shells I had left in the hallway going to our shared bathroom.
Old November 15, 2012, 08:51 PM   #69
Kevin Rohrer

No room in the safe. It is piled everywhere in the reloading room, although I plan on storing it in ammo cans eventually.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 16, 2012, 06:33 AM   #70
mitchntx

Quote:
An extra box here and an extra box there ... over the years it adds up.

And the wife and I go through a lot of ammo.

She shoots at a weekly league through DIVA-WOW and I shoot occasionally with IDPA and we both shoot clays once a month.

So it doesn't last long. If I had room, I'd probably go down the reloading route.

Gave up on fast cars and fast women ...