The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 15, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
MashieNiblick

Quell Hunting

Hello,

i am new to the shotgun forum and would like to ask your experienced opinion regarding Quell hunting.

i noticed some hot spots in a few small peaces of land and that the season in Texas begins Oct. 29 through Feb. 26.

my first question is in regards to a particular firearm, the Rossi Wizard, outfitted with a .410 barrel. would you think this an adequate firearm to use? i like the fact that it is a single shot of the smallest gauge as i want to be as sporting as possible and leave the Quells and hot spots as intact as possible to help promote future game life and future outdoor enjoyment.

second question is in regards to a particular Quell load. if i in fact choose to Quell hunt, i would like to shoot the smallest diameter and most lethal spread possible as i don't like the idea of the Quells suffering any more than absolutely possible. i know very little with regards to shotgun loads, so would the best thing be to look for large diameter bb's with a high power load?

Thank you sincerely for your time in advance,
- MN

Old May 15, 2011, 02:33 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

It's available at pharmacies.
Old May 15, 2011, 04:31 AM   #3
lamarw

I have always used a 12 gauge pump, 2 & 3/4 no. 8 shot with an improved cylinder choke for bobwhite quail. Never killed more than one bird per shot . I thought it was sporting enough.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:05 AM   #4
darkgael

Quail

You are more apt to wound the quail with the .410 than with a larger gauge like a 20 or a 12.
The little .410 shotgun is, for many shooters, a much more limited gun. Limited in it's effective range and in the amount of shot it puts out and it the quality of its pattern.
Despite its small size - which would seem to recommend it to the beginner - it is a gun for experts.
If you want to insure quick, humane kills, use a larger qauge.
Pete
Old May 15, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First, it's spelled Quail. Fine little gamebird, with 4 or 5 species in North America.

410s, in non expert hands, will kill quail, but some of them may take days to die. Use an adequate gauge,anything from 28 to 12 can be suitable. 410s are not analogous to ultra light fishing tackle, an inadequate shot load or poorly placed shot is not sporting, it is callous and cruel.

Many hardcore quail fanatics use smaller gauge doubles of either variety. Common factors include fast handling, open chokes, and light weight.

Size 8 shot is usually the best choice.

I've shot more quail with 12 gauge pumps, but that's because I like pumps.

Whatever you decide on for a shotgun, do hit the range and get in some practice.

Finally,quail flush in coveys nigh simultaneously. Focus on ONE bird and take it. Later, you can try doubles, but in quail hunting a double is two singles taken back to back.

In 50 years of quail chasing, I've taken ONE triple. Quite proud of it,too.

HTH.....
Old May 15, 2011, 11:33 AM   #6
zippy13

Take your Rossi Wizard, w/ a .410 barrel, out to your local gun club and shoot a round of standard Skeet (you'll have to shoot singles at the doubles presentations) for an honest self-evaluation. I think you'll soon realize that it's designed for stationary targets.

Unlike most of the members, I've actually competed with a .410-bore and wouldn't consider it as a quail gun. I'm with Dave McC on this, for even the smallest game birds, the 28-ga is as small as I'd go.
Old May 15, 2011, 02:31 PM   #7
egor20

My wife uses her Beretta O/U in 16 or 12 gauge, the quail and pheasants on our property are pretty much decimated this spring.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 15, 2011, 04:47 PM   #8
oneounceload

A 410 can be used on planted birds that don't fly, but for wild QUAIL, a 28, 20 or 16 will be just the ticket
Old May 15, 2011, 05:14 PM   #9
zippy13

Only a rotter shots a runner!
Old May 15, 2011, 05:45 PM   #10
oneounceload

Didn't say I shot a runner....., but when you walk right up on them and they don't fly until you kick them in the butt, a 410 is very adequate at 5-10 yards.................

I do miss the wild quail from northern NV
Old May 15, 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Couzin

Quail are hard to find in Texas - if you are on some, then get there opening day. And never seen any Quell at all... Don't suggest using a .410 bore - not that it can't be done, just leaves too many crippled birds if you are not real proficient with the small bore. Really don't suggest a single shot for any upland hunting.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:55 PM   #12
publius

3" 7 1/2s. I love my little .410 Rem. 11-48 for quail & doves but I have been bird hunting for 30 yrs. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but it is a caliber for the "experienced". I think you are going to be much happier if you get yourself a 20 or 12 gauge. you can find a used Rem. 870 or Mossberg 500 for @ 200.00. You will be glad you did, especially if you decide to duck hunt, deer hunt, or kill some of these damned pigs (please) we have in TX.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:34 AM   #13
darkgael

depends

Quote:
Really don't suggest a single shot for any upland hunting.
Only part of me agrees with that 100%. Suitability depends on location. In my part of PA - talking Grouse now and not quail - the huckleberries and barberries are often quite thick and one shot is all you get. I normally carry a SXS but have been known to carry a single, be it an old Savage, a ML Fowler, or a Mossberg 185 bolt gun which is kinda the same as a single in use.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; May 17, 2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:54 PM   #14
.300 Weatherby Mag

For wild birds... I like a 28 gauge and up.. Personally, my favorite quail gun is my Browning BSS 20 gauge..
Old May 16, 2011, 10:35 PM   #15
zippy13

I love my little .410 Rem. 11-48 for quail & doves but I have been bird hunting for 30 yrs.
Publius, I suspect your 11-48 is better suited to wing shooting than a Rossi Wizard.

Image: Remington + Rossi
Old May 18, 2011, 11:12 PM   #16
publius

Your suspicions are well founded.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:55 PM   #17
Bamashooter

I got my start as a kid shooting quail with a single shot 16ga. Thats all I had until I bought my own when I was grown but the thing about using a single shot is I learned how to shoot pretty good with only one shot at a time and the ole man wouldnt have let me hunt much otherwise. Nowdays I shoot a 870 12ga. and I have always used 7 1/2 shot. Sometimes I carry my old single shot just for the hell of it.