The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 21, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
C0untZer0

Kahr PM9 vs CM9 ?

I know that there are differences between the models as far as sights / sight options and finish (doesn't seem like the CM9 comes w/black slide).

But my real question is:

Is there a significant difference between the polygonal barrel of the PM9 or rifled barrel of the CM9?

I looked at these two pistols at a gun shop recently and the guy behind the counter said that they were identical guns except for the sights and he personally would purchase the CM9 because it costs less.

They obviously aren't identical pistols but I am wondering how big of a difference the polygonal barrel makes.
Old April 21, 2011, 03:00 PM   #2
napg19

I'm no expert here but when I traded my S&W M&P9C(rifled barrel) for the Glock 19(poly barrel) I noticed alittle better acuracy the first time I shot the G19. I'm by no means a great shot and the M&P 9C was already a acurate pistol. IMO I can get the poly barrel cleaner due to the way the lands are made. But at qualifying distance(7 yds. in Arkansas) for CCW I believe you would be happy with either one. From other threads and articles I have read both are great pistols. I would go with the CM9 cause of cost but that's me.
Old April 21, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Jimmy10mm

I've read if you're going to shoot cast or any kind of lead with no jacket the CW9 would be better due to the rifling. If you're going to shoot jacketed the PM9 with the poly rifling would give better accuracy. Other than that I think it is just a matter of finish being a bit more spiffy on the PM.
Old April 21, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

In the short self-defense ranges one would normally use these two very similar guns, this small difference in rifling quality is, IMHO, insignificant to their efficiency as weapons.
Old April 21, 2011, 05:32 PM   #5
vyse.04

Quote:
In the short self-defense ranges one would normally use these two very similar guns, this small difference in rifling quality is, IMHO, insignificant to their efficiency as weapons.
I agree. If you are fine with some of the other differences (can't buy CM9 with blackened slide, only get one magazine instead of two, etc.), I would go with the CM9 over the PM9. To me, the difference between the barrels would not even be noticed by the majority of shooters (myself included). These guns are not meant for target shooting, so I wouldn't worry about the little differences if your budget gets in the way.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
C0untZer0

The "C" stands for "Cheaper" !
Old April 21, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
IowaYoungGun

With such a short barrel the accuracy is nearly identical! I own both of the little pistol, and I personally enjoy my CM9 more, and it just so happens to be less expensive. Cheaper is not a word to describe the Kahr's... they are all quality firearms. I promise you will not be dissapointed with either, save a little money and go with the CM9. These are not meant to be target guns, but sure do hold up well against most! Happy shooting.
Old April 22, 2011, 05:33 AM   #8
bamiller

I agree with other posters have said...the CM9 is more of a short range weapon for which a poly barrel has very little advantage over a rifled.
Old April 22, 2011, 05:57 AM   #9
MLeake

I agree with most of the above, but with a caveat:

While the PM9 (and I'd assume CM9 though I haven't shot one) may be most likely to see SD use at short range, my PM9 is pretty accurate. I wouldn't mentally limit it to "short range" use, at least no more than I would limit most 9mm service pistols.

IE, it shoots more like a service pistol than a BUG. The little gun is surprisingly accurate and easy to shoot.

Maybe some CM9 owners can comment on that model.
Old April 22, 2011, 06:48 AM   #10
Oldjarhead

The biggest difference is the PM9 has a MATCH grade barrel. More accurate than the conventional barrel on the CM9. Better in my opinion.

Tags
cm9 , kahr , pm9