The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 7, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
scouter27

mossberg jic, who has one, what do you think?

im not interested in opinions from those who have seen or handled it. just those that own or have owned one and are familiar with it on that level. i know the negatives, i own one pistol gripped shotty, one side folder, and 5 standard stocked. i have a grasp on their use, i carried a mossy 590 and a benelli m1014 in iraq. been thinking about getting one. have a few questions as well. i would like to add a side, or top folder to it. would it fit? i like the container, and the desert camo marine coat would suit me just fine, though i prefer the od container, spray paint is everywhere, and i would need to do the stock anyway. probably go with a nice coyote for both, as it would look like cardboard on the tube and match with the weapon nicely. anyway, i tried a search, and a few people have noted wanting one, no one mentioned buying it.
Old July 7, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Renfield

Quote:
i carried a mossy 590 and a benelli m1014 in iraq.
what was your opinion of the 590 ?

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 7, 2007, 09:01 PM   #3
scouter27

i liked it, but the 1014 was better. better sights, and you could use it with the stock collapsed if i had my aimpoint on it. mine cycled with beanbags, but not rubber batons, which was a drawback. the 590 i had was missing the bead, but i was usually shooting it in the dark as a warning shot so pointing at headlights with less lethal or flares, aiming was not essential. had a surefire rail forend on it, which would go on the jic if i got it. the light was excellent for the clearing of vehicles or occasionally small buildings we encountered. i would have preferred the ghost rings like the 1014 had, better to have it and not need it sort of thing. some type of gr sights would be most likely added to the jic, even if it was the ati shroud model to start off with. hope i helped without confusing you too much

Last edited by scouter27; July 7, 2007 at 09:02 PM. Reason: additional info
Old July 7, 2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Renfield

I have a Winchester 1300 12 gauge for hunting and I've long considered buying a nickel plated Mossberg but I always find something else first..thanks for the reply..if you buy that JIC I'd like to hear about it..I was curious about it too

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old July 9, 2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Jseime

They are a Mossberg 500 with a short barrel and some other options. I have a 500 and love it so I would think that the JIC should be a good gun.