The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old December 27, 2001, 04:08 AM   #1
Salt

That was a great article on the Colt Detective Special

Just had to say good job. I hope to see more articles on other classic law enforcement guns like the Detective Special.

I am very interested in the history of Colt DA revolvers marketed to Law Enforcement in the first half of the twentieth century.

I can recall seeing a pair of beautiful nickel plated Colt revolvers on display that belonged to a prohibition era LEO from New Orleans, LA. One was a Colt Police Positive with six inch barrel, the other was a Colt Pocket Positive revover. I think they were both .32 calliber but I am not sure.

I think New Orleans, LA must have been a very interesting place during prohibition for LEO. Curious about their hardware and tactics.
Salt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Mad Man

I was very sorry to see the Police Positive/Detective Special discontinued a few years ago.

Six years ago, I bought a new Police Positive .38 SPL for around $200, and had a 3" Detective Special barrel put on it.

I had the setup made as a home defense weapon for a female relative. For a variety of reasons, I think that a 3" Colt D-Frame is one of the best home defense pistols for a non-gun person.

Some of the reasons are subjective, but:

1. It is slightly larger than a S&W J-frame, but not as big as a K-frame. It has better trigger reach for the small-handed person than a K-frame, but with the same 6-round capacity.

2. Longer sight radius than 2" barrel, but no so "unwieldy" as a 4" barrel.

3. Not so large as to "intimidate" a non-gun person, yet easier to shoot than a small J-frame.

Pity they don't make them anymore.
Mad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2002, 04:45 PM   #3
Inspector Callahan

An article on the DS? Where can I pick one of these SWAT mags up? I've never seen one on the stands. What's up with this?
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Inspector Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2002, 05:12 PM   #4
Mad Man

Quote:
Where can I pick one of these SWAT mags up? I've never seen one on the stands.
I see them at Barnes and Noble.
Mad Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2002, 07:08 PM   #5
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I won't try and sell anyone anthing they don't want, but until we get our distribution up where we want it, the best way to get S.W.A.T. is by subscribing. You can do so on-line by clicking the link at the top of the page. FWIW, our subscription department should have back copies of the issue (December, 2001) with the article the Detective Special appeared in.

Denny
Denny Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote