The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 17, 2012, 06:09 PM   #26
ltc444

bet they have a pretty low crime rate in that neighborhood.

In AR I lived in a "transitional neighborhood". Crime was increasing until a guy who lived on the block was forced by his wife (she did not like the smell of the cleaning solvents) to clean his Maxum on his front stoop.

The wannabees took notice and left the neighborhood alone.
Old February 17, 2012, 08:34 PM   #27
KyJim

Quote:
Mortgage values are determined by recent sales of similar property, taxable assessment, and by professional appraisal. The same goes for business loans.
That is exactly my point. I was asking rhetorical questions. The mortgage value is determined at some point before the owner sells the house. If an appraiser knows there is a nearby "nuisance," he or she should deduct from the mortgage value. The sales price of other similar property should probably reflect this as well, but it depends exactly how similar they are. Here, geographic proximity to the "nuisance" is important. So, in fact, property can lose value before it is sold. It is not just speculation.
Old February 29, 2012, 08:05 AM   #28
C0untZer0

A bill just passed the Illinois House Agriculture & Conservation Committee to grant immunity to range owners from action for public or private nuisance or trespass arising out of or as a consequence of noise or sound emissions resulting from the normal use of the firearm range.

It will work it's way up the process for a general vote.

I consider it another one of those types of gun laws that doesn't seem as important as lifting a gun ban or getting a carry law but like the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (PLCAA) - the absence of these kinds of laws is profound and allows anti-gunners to effect a sort of psuedo ban on the use of firearms through their litigation.