The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2002, 12:49 PM   #1
Kaliburz

Some Shotgun Questions

Question 1:

I have this oppurtunity to purchase a new Under/over shotgun, 12g w/ choke tubes. It has a camo stock. I don't recall the brand off hand, but I do recall it doesn't have auto ejectors. The price is about $400 or so. Single trigger.

What else should I look for on this U/O???? or in U/O in general....

Question 2:

Probably an old question, but I've seen it go both ways. Rifled slugs through a full choke barreled shotgun. Some say yes, others say no. Well.... what is it?

Someone stayed that the 'rifling' actually helps it go through the chokes...flattens out so it doesn't hurt the barrel......

Thanks...
Old August 18, 2002, 12:56 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Double tube guns vary from wonderful to outright junk. The brand IS important!
I don't like to push rifled slugs thru a full choke barrel but sometimes you can get away with it. If we are talking about the same O/U here regulation with slugs thru both barrels is seldom impressive. If slugs are yor interest, I wouldn't spend much time shopping for doubles. The same money will buy you better performance in a pump or auto.
Old August 18, 2002, 01:03 PM   #3
Kaliburz

I'll get the brand monday or call my buddy up.

The slugs question is ment for my Saiga 12. I have a varieity of shotguns: old JC Higgins model 20, Winchester 1300 Defender, Remington 870 Express Mag. I don't have an U/O and well, I was wanting to add one to the collection....
Old August 18, 2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Kaliburz

Got the make!!!

The shotgun is an IGA "Stoeger". Looking in Gun Trader, I think it's the Condor model... but not sure which one.
Old August 19, 2002, 06:40 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The big reason name brand O/Us cost mucho dinero is it takes some work to get the bbls hitting where they should. Even the B-guns still have some that hit the market unregulated.

I'm kinda leery of off brand doubles, seen/heard of too many with major probs.

As for chokes and slugs, the tightest 3 shot groups I've ever seen were from a 16 gauge Model 87 choked "Full". Most of the Winchesters of the time were pretty tight anyways. However, more open chokes do better as a rule. The only way to find out what to use is by range testing....