The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 30, 2010, 06:10 PM   #1
10-96

Question on Bullseye Rules

Just getting into this (didn't take long to get hooked!) and was wondering about a couple of things.

1. The rules say I am responsible for my scorebook. Where do I get one?

2. I am FT Police- it says I have to tell them, but it's just me that shoots with this group. How are they going to put me on a Police Team?

3. I am shooting only .22 so far, but may be geared up well enough to try my hand at center fire and .45ACP. My Centerfire pistol is a 1933/34 S&W Outdoorsman 6 1/2" with the Call front sight. Is that authorized until I can get a semi-auto?

4. Does my .45 have to be a 1911, or can I use my 1917 or 25-3 revolvers?

I know, I'm way behind the curve- but at least my .22 was made during my lifetime. Any ideas?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 31, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
kraigwy

#1 Score Books ---> http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseye...&cat=22&page=1

#2 LE or Police is a catagory you put on your SR-1 (entry card), unless you have a lot of shooters and catagories it dosnt really matter.

#3 Yes you can use your revolver in the CF matches

#4 Again, yes you can use (45 cal) revolvers in the 45 Cal Match.

The exception is the EIC match (earing points toward you Dist. Pistol) where you have to use a 1911 or Ber. 92. (Rules govern these pistols keeping them like the service pistols).

Here is something else that will help you, I have the USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide (Bullseye Pistol Shooting) on .pdf file, if interested PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

One thing about Bullseye (and just about any other compitition, you're gonna find great people who will be more then willing to help you get started in the right direction, don't be afraid to ask.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 31, 2010, 07:05 PM   #3
10-96

Thanks KW, I've got the USAMU Guide through the Encylopedia of Bullseye Pistol.com saved to my favorites file.

I'm really liking this sport, just wish there was a vintage following. But, I guess that would be difficult to regulate for equipment and safety.

If the 1917 were allowed in the Service Pistol- hypothetically- could a man well versed with it compete against such of the likes of the Gold Cups?

Old August 31, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4
Casimer

#1 may refer to your score card for the match - you have to sign it and turn it in at the end of the match. You'll be issued one at the beginning of the match.

And for #3, an Outdoorsman isn't eligible for the Centerfire stage because it's 22lr - the revolver you're referring to is the predecessor of the Model 17?

You'll need at least a 32 for centerfire IIRC. Most people just use their 45. But match directors will usually let you shoot all of the stages using a 22lr, and only count the 22 stage for record.

Re: Vintage guns

You'll see some classic revolvers at Distinguished Revolver matches - lots of Model 14's and Colt OMM's, even Officers Model Specials.

I'm not sufficiently familiar w/ the 1917 to comment on its accuracy, but there have been some very successful revolver shooters in BE, such as Harry Reeves, and Babe Magnan. Revolvers can definitely compete for accuracy, but they're harder for most people to shoot well.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:46 PM   #5
4EVERM-14

Ref. Score Book:
This probably refers to a "Temporary Scorebook" Since you have no classification [Expert,Marksman,etc.] you will shoot as a Master until you shoot enough to get a permanent classification. The Temporary scorebook keeps your score from previous matches as proof of you average until the NRA sends you a classification card. Obtain the Temporary score book from the match official and write down every score. Be sure to get a match official to sign the book. You can enter the next match in the classification based on the Temporary scorebook.This will allow you to shoot with other people of the same abilities and give you a better chance of winning something.
Shoot alot and enjoy yourself.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old September 2, 2010, 07:56 PM   #6
10-96

Quote:
And for #3, an Outdoorsman isn't eligible for the Centerfire stage because it's 22lr - the revolver you're referring to is the predecessor of the Model 17?
No, I believe my Outdoorsman is the predecessor of the Model 20 or 23- it's a .38SPL.

On the revolver- it says the trigger pull has to be 2.5lb pull... That's not counting the single action pull is it? That may/will knock my Outdoorsman out of the ballgame.

I learned a very valuable lesson yesterday. Never show up to a match hungry! I was shaking like a dog trying to pass a peach pit! Also, I have determined beyond a shadow of a doubt that there WILL be a S&W Model 41 in my future. I thought that as a beginner in that discipline that my old Buck Mark Camper would get me by for a year or so. Nope. Now if it had a longer sight radius- that might be one thing. But that 5.5" barrel and short radius is nowhere as easy for me to contend with as a 7". I wish I could stay with Browning if nothing more than name brand loyalty, but I guess there are just times when a guy has to look past that.

Does anyone know if the new 41 Classics are anywhere near the same quality as the older models?

Old September 2, 2010, 08:21 PM   #7
Casimer

Quote:
On the revolver- it says the trigger pull has to be 2.5lb pull... That's not counting the single action pull is it?
That's the trigger weight w/ the action cocked - i.e. cock the revolver, then measure the lbs of pull necessary to release the hammer. The minimum for revolvers, both in the centerfire and 45 stage, is 2.5lbs measured from the center of the curve of the trigger face w/ the barrel pointed straight up. So you should be fine. I didn't even know that S&W made a 38spl named The Outdoorsman.

You should join the Bullseye-L mailing list - http://www.lava.net/~perrone/bullseye/

That's a good place to find used match gear and pistols.
Old September 2, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8
10-96

Quote:
I didn't even know that S&W made a 38spl named The Outdoorsman.
Yup, mine dates to 1933 or '34 and was commonly called the .38-44 Heavy Duty. There was even a hopped up .38SPL load developed about that time with some input from folks like J. Edgar and such. Target sights from the '30's sure aren't what they are these days (thank goodness).

Old September 3, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9
FlyFish

The .38/44 Heavy Duty had fixed sights - the .38/44 Outdoorsman was the same gun with adjustable sights. Both were built on the N-frame, the largest of S&W's revolver frames at the time, and were intended to handle a hotter version of the .38 Special known originally as the .38/44 S&W Special and then later as the .38 Special High Velocity (they'll shoot regular .38 Special just fine, of course). This eventually led to the the development of the .357 Magnum, which as we know uses a longer case to prevent it being chambered in guns intended to only handle .38 Special pressures.
Old September 11, 2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Bullseye Smith

Question - Where you are shooting at, are you shooting 22, center fire, 45 class? Most of the time where I shot we did the 22, and center fire. If this is the case you will find that the 32 Long can't be touched for the center fire class. This little baby will drive nails and has less recoil than the 22. Here is my 10/32 that I built from a model 10-8 and a 16 cylinder and barrel. The 45 with a 5 inch barrel is the best to use.

Old September 11, 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
10-96

Yes, those are the classes. I'm a long ways away from getting into a match worthy 1911. However, I at least have something to get my feet wet- so to speak- with centerfire, my .38-44. I have no real asperations to getting to a state level any time soon, but I DO want to at least make a good showing with a revolver. I know- the wheelgun is considered about as dead as using iron sights. However, myself and two other guys are adamant about sticking with irons and a more traditional approach. Guess that's the same reasoning why I still bird hunt with a 1930's 16ga sxs, and rifle hunt with a 1946 .30-06. Now, if I could lay my hands on a pre 1957 or so .32 in top but shootable condition (in my budget)- I would certainly be all kinds of giggly!

Old September 23, 2010, 12:35 AM   #12
10-96

Ah-ha!
I managed to not only break a 200 score- but I pulled a 222 and a 224 tonight!

Old October 20, 2010, 06:58 PM   #13
penman53

bullseye rules

You may also want to download the Army Marksmanship Manual. I have been looking it over and there is a ton of information that you can use to shoot bullseye.