The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1
PinnedAndRecessed

1911 pistolsmiths in Tulsa?

Looking for a 1911 pistolsmith in or around the Tulsa, OK, area.
Old July 17, 2006, 12:02 AM   #2
lil_bro

I don't know about Tulsa but in Henrietta(just south of Okmulgee)there is a gun smith/dealer named Travis who I think does work on 1911's.
If you want his e-mail or phone number PM me.

Michael.
Old July 17, 2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Wasper

Tulsa Area Pistolsmith

P&R,
I found this info on the American Pistolsmiths Guild website. I believe Claremore is close to Tulsa.

Hope this helps!
Mark

Nowlin Custom Manufacturing
www.Nowlinguns.com
email [email protected]

20622 S. 4092 Rd.
Claremore, OK 74017 918-342-0689
FAX 918-342-0624

Handgun Brands Worked on Type of work performed Specialties
Colt
Nowlin
Kimber
Springfield
Wilson
STI
Caspian
Rock River
Para Ordnance
McCormick Nowlin action kits installed, fit Nowlin barrels, as well as complete build-ups for carry, competition and law enforcement

IPSC
NRA Action Pistol
IDPA
Bianchi Cup
Carry
Bullseye

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our family-owned and operated company has been in business since 1982. Over the years we've
enjoyed considerable success both as competitors as well as product innovators. Nowlin sponsors
world class shooters in IPSC and Bianchi Cup events. We also enjoy IDPA activities on a local and
national level. Our aim is to produce the best product PERIOD.

Our parts are composed of materials such as machined S-7 tool steel, MIM A-6 tool steel and 416
stainless steel. They are simply the best available. Nowlin means performance.

Our pistols are carefully handcrafted from materials such as our 4140 forged steel, machined S-7
steel, and forged 416 stainless. The precision exhibited is old world quality. We guarantee 1.5" groups
or less at 25 yards. Most of our pistols will shoot 1" or less.

We make extensive use of the latest technologies--CNC, MIM , and other cutting-edge methods and
materials.

Our commitment to you, our customer, is total. Our customer service is top flight. Your satisfaction
is assured.
Old July 17, 2006, 10:59 AM   #4
PinnedAndRecessed

Thanx Wasp.

I just got off the phone with them and it seems they can't accept any guns for work if it requires the gun to stay overnight because they're waiting for their new FFL.

???
Old July 17, 2006, 10:59 AM   #5
HSMITH

GET REFERENCES!!!!! Don't let just anyone work on your 1911. Hanging a shingle is all that is required to work on guns, and some are better than others
Old July 20, 2006, 10:06 AM   #6
bulbboy

Michael at Tulsa Gunworks (Oklahoma Police Supply)

918-836-3615

Great guy - Great work!
Old July 20, 2006, 07:37 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

pistolsmith

Dear Shooter;
What is it you need done? Just because a person is called a 'smith" of any-kind means nothing - I've seen some real messes done by pistolsmiths.
If you'll tell us the nature of the work you need done there are good men here that possibly help you and you may not need a "pistolsmith."
if you aren't "handy" at all - yes find a good one - but - if you are handy we probably help you do it yourself!

Harry B.
Old July 20, 2006, 08:23 PM   #8
PinnedAndRecessed

Quote:
What is it you need done?
I've got a new Combat Commander and the slide is locking back prematurely, i.e., when there are still rounds in the magazine.

I sent it back to the factory (Colt) and they returned it to me and said it had been fixed.

Thus far I've swapped magazines. Same problem.

I've varied bullet types. SWC. Round nose. Same problem.

I installed another slide locking lever (off my Govt. model). Same problem.

I pulled the slide off, reinserted the slide lock lever, and inserted a full magazine to see if the bullets are contacting the lock lever. The bullets are not contacting the locking lever. I've tried this with both SWC and RN bullets.

It is not my hand hitting the slide lock lever during recoil. I shoot left handed and my fingers are nowhere near the locking lever. Besides, I don't have this problem with my Mark 4/Series 70.

A couple of the guys from THR suggested I need another plunger spring and plunger. They think the spring is weak/plunger too short.

I'm not sending it back to Colt. So I'm going to take it to a couple of locals.
Old July 20, 2006, 08:50 PM   #9
Scorch

Since I have not seen your pistol or seen you shooting it, I cannot tell for sure, but when I have seen this problem in the past it was ALWAYS the shooter's thumb riding against the underside of the slide stop that engaged the slide stop. This happens under recoil as the pistol torques.

Another thing it could be is the detent on the slide stop is not deep enough to hold the plunger or the plunger spring is weak. Since you shoot left-handed, I would bet on this one
Old July 20, 2006, 11:03 PM   #10
PinnedAndRecessed

Quote:
Another thing it could be is the detent on the slide stop is not deep enough to hold the plunger or the plunger spring is weak.
I swapped the slide stop with the slide stop from my Mark 4/Series 70. The Mark 4 slide stop functions fine. But on the Combat Commander it didn't perform. On the Combat Commander the slide continued to lock back prematurely.

If you're right, then the other possibility is the plunger spring/plunger.
Old July 21, 2006, 07:24 AM   #11
Harry Bonar

slide-lock

Dear Shooter:
This is a problem with left-handed shooters. On one, for a CIA agent we ground off the right side of the slide lock pin and just slightly countersunk the frame - viola! No more trouble!
But, there may be a simpler fis:
Take the spring plunger internals apart and insert the slide stop pin. Find a drill long enough to go through the plunger tube, hold down the slide stop and just slightly dimple the slide stop in the down position. Don't go so deep that it won't lock the slide open on the last round.
We did this on almost every 1911 at Novaks.
Hope this inexpensive modification helps.
Harry B.