The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 9, 2012, 09:05 PM   #1
chrisintexas

how to objectively measure handgun will fit in pocket?

I mean are there objective ways to measure if handgun will fit in a pocket?
to do that do you measure the length, width of the gun?
do you compare handguns that way?
thanks?
Old November 9, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
pete2

Smaller and slimmer the better for pocket carry. Try a few different guns and see which fits better.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Sport45

Don't forget that pockets vary in size too.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:53 AM   #4
9mmfan

put it in yer pocket. look. lean back. look. stand sideways backwards to a mirror. look. keep in mind, most folks ain't gonna look in yer pocket. put on an unbuttoned or longish shirt. carry away.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:32 AM   #5
MLeake

Find a friend who has one, or acquire a training plastic version, then try it with intended holster in the intended pocket(s).

Edit: dimensions alone may not provide a full picture. Weight and shape also matter. The curves of a J frame sometimes conceal better than the slim angles of a pocket 9mm.

The size and cut of pockets, plus the outer material, will also affect concealability.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Pond, James Pond

If getting your hands on one is really difficult and you don't want to shell out extra money for a training gun, then make a mock-up yourself.

The dimensions are usually available online, then get an old floor plank, or glue some cardboard together and cut to roughly fit that size.

A bit trickier with revolvers but doable.
Old November 10, 2012, 10:45 AM   #7
2damnold4this

Good idea, Pond.

Quote:
Edit: dimensions alone may not provide a full picture. Weight and shape also matter. The curves of a J frame sometimes conceal better than the slim angles of a pocket 9mm.
This is true. In addition sharp edges on sights etc. that wouldn't be a problem for other carry methods may snag in a pocket.
Old November 10, 2012, 12:12 PM   #8
qqq1

I tested my LCR by putting it in my pocket. I thought it was a good method.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Sparks1957

Put it in your pocket. See if it fits.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:46 PM   #10
mavracer

You can look at measurements and guess or do what I did. I just bought, sold and traded a couple dozen guns over the course of 20 years and now have a small assortment to choose from.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 10, 2012, 01:51 PM   #11
wayneinFL

Yeah, there are too many variables. The size and shape of the pocket, the opening of the pocket, size and shape of the gun, size and shape of your hand.

The only way to tell is to try out the gun in the pocket of the pants you're planning to wear. Make sure you can get a good full firing grip on it and still be able to get it out of the pocket smoothly. Bear in mind if you're hot, sweaty, and sticky when you're carrying, pockets have more of a tendency to hang up than when you're clean and fresh, standing in an air conditioned gun shop.

I always hear people talking about sights snagging, but I've never noticed a problem with that on any gun. Anything that snags seems to snag on the pocket opening, and by the time the sight gets there, you have plenty of room.
Old November 10, 2012, 01:59 PM   #12
MLeake

For pocket draw, auto or revolver, I put my thumb where the hammer spur would be, if the gun had a hammer spur.

(Since my pocket guns are a 442 and/or a Kahr MK9, they don't have hammer spurs, but...)

My thumb in this position effectively prevents snagging on the lip of the pocket.

My thumb in that position when holstering an auto helps prevent the slide from being pushed out of battery.

For that matter, my thumb in that position when holstering a revolver in an IWB or OWB holster would let me feel any movement of the hammer, in the event of a trigger impingement of some sort.

IE, it's a pretty good position for the thumb when drawing or holstering.
Old November 10, 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Rule of thumb for pocket pistols...

No more than 5" to 5.5" OAL, 0.75" to 1" thickness, 3.5" to 4" height. The lighter the better <duh>. Always us a pocket holster unless you're carrying chamber empty. Use an appropriate pocket holster for carrying back pants pocket to eliminate print. Thinner is better for front pants pocket carry. Loose pants do better for front pants pocket carry as well.

Don't pocket carry in an inside breast pocket of a jacket. Difficult to draw, snagging, & weight usually drags down one side of your jacket.

I personally prefer back pocket carry with a DeSantis Superfly. The additional velcro cover rids printing 100% and looks like a wallet. It is also useful carrying on strong side - <weak hand up, body in retention stance> "Stop! Here's my wallet! Don't shoot!" Only drawback to backpocket carry is that it requires a smaller pistol and one can't draw sitting down.
Old November 10, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
1 old 0311-1

Here is a J frame S&W model 38 Airweight in a right front pocket. The key is the HOLSTER!!!!!!!!! I use a Uncle Mikes #3, thin, firm, grips pocket well. Leather is great on the belt but WAY too thick in a pocket.

Old November 10, 2012, 06:20 PM   #15
2damnold4this

Quote:
I always hear people talking about sights snagging, but I've never noticed a problem with that on any gun. Anything that snags seems to snag on the pocket opening, and by the time the sight gets there, you have plenty of room.
Never had a problem with a front sight. Early Trijicon rear night sights on a G26 were another story.
Old November 11, 2012, 04:11 AM   #16
flgunguy

I used to pocket carry a cz rami, before I switched to an IWB I finally liked. It bulged a little but I don't think anyone noticed. People carry tons of stuff in there pockets anyway.

I would also go hammerless. Pockets have strings in them, strings can catch things... like hammers. If you do go with a hammer, make sure it has a decocker.
Old November 11, 2012, 06:16 AM   #17
kcub

Height is the most critical. As was said no more than 4". Many so called pocket pistols fail in this regard. Kahr seems to be one of the few that have figured this out for 9mm.

If you are looking at it in a store just compare it to something that works such as a Walther PPK. (Not PPK/S)
Old November 11, 2012, 06:33 AM   #18
Kreyzhorse

All pockets are not created equal. Pocket size and overall fit of your pants (tight fit or loose fit) all play a roll in pocket carry.

Bottom line though, thinner guns work better and shorter guns work better for pocket carry. It is also very subjective. I don't even like carrying car keys in my pocket so I'm pretty hard on pocket carry. The only gun I truely consider a pocket gun is a Ruger LCP and similar type guns.

The best way is to fit a gun you like a simply put it in your pocket. Does it ride well? Is it concealed? Can you draw it quickly?
Old November 11, 2012, 11:36 AM   #19
MLeake

Strings can also catch triggers. Pocket holsters are a good idea.
Old November 11, 2012, 03:58 PM   #20
Gazpacho

There is no way to measure without sticking it in your pocket, as the "fit" will vary with the cut of the pocket and pants. Stick it in your pocket and draw vigorously without finess. Do NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT practice draw with your finger on the trigger. Build your motor memory with your trigger finger along the side of the gun as you draw.

Some recommendations:

Duluth Trading Company Ballroom Jeans. These are good jeans with heavy cloth used for the pockets. They help conceal, and will stand up to heavy use.

Stellar Rigs Kydex Pocket Holster. As thin as possible, and impervious to sweat.

Turn your pocket inside out when you wash your pants. Pocket lint is your enemy, and it is shocking how far it can work its way to inside your gun.
Old November 11, 2012, 08:07 PM   #21
Salmoneye

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

Try putting it in your pocket...

You're entirely welcome...

Old November 16, 2012, 08:57 PM   #22
camsdaddy

Don't just see if it fits in your pocket. Also try drawing the firearm a few times to see how it works for you.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:18 AM   #23
weblance

I have pocket carried for a few years now, and can offer a few observations. My cut off weight is 15 oz. Anything heavier, and it tends to swing in and out, hitting my thigh when I walk. A snub nosed revolver with a shrouded hammer(S&W 638)or enclosed hammer(Ruger LCR)is the best style revolver to carry. With no hammer spur,or a shrouded hammer spur, these draw from the pocket with ease. When it comes to an automatic, the smaller, the better. The Ruger LC9 is just to blocky for me to feel comfortable with it in my pocket. At 17 oz, its also just over my comfort weight. I really want to pocket carry my LC9, but just cant make it happen. The small pocket rockets, like the LCP and Kel-Tek P3-AT are a good size and weight, but are not very comfortable to range shoot all day long. Pocket carry is a trade off... its comfortable, but you give up size and weight, for capacity. Since I dont enjoy shooting my LCP, I carry a S&W 638/Crimson Trace, and a BUG, a Taurus PLY-22, or another snubnosed revolver. When you get that much weight in your pockets, suspenders are a great help. I dont like belts and am not comfortable wearing them. Im most comfortable in a T shirt and shorts, so I wear the suspenders under my shirt, next to my skin. This is what works for me the best.
Old November 17, 2012, 04:05 PM   #24
jhenry

When I want to know if something will fit in my pocket I stick it in my pocket.
Old November 17, 2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Kevin Rohrer

I put it in my pocket and objectively decide if it will work or not.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer