The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 26, 2012, 06:48 AM   #51
BoogieMan

Quote:
Even if your dog is bigger than the coyote, the coyote will lure it away where the pack can take down the bigger dog
I have seen many videos and comments about this on youtube. i have a coyote problem at my house in Mt Holly, NC. I have a Great Dane and a Lab but I am worried they might split them up or lure one of them off when the other isnt out there. I have seen yotes in PA when deer hunting but its purely accidental. How do I get rid of them. Hear them all the time but I cant ever get a shot at them. Can I set a snare or other trap without getting by-catch? A proved lure so I can get a shot at them?
Old April 26, 2012, 07:19 AM   #52
"JJ"

Hey BoogieMan! You can catch coyotes in both snares and foot hold traps. But if it will catch a coyote, it will catch a dog! You have to figure out if you can take that risk. The best way to get rid of them, in my opinion, is to hunt them. Like all wild animals, they are creatures of habit. They will use the same trail over and over. A good scout outing may reveal the access point to your property. A barbed wire fence is great a snagging guard or tail hairs! If you can find this trail, & you will know it if you find it, find a place to set up an ambush. Get the distance the you like to shoot away from the trail where you can see well but can't be seen. Mind the wind! Here in NE Texas we USUALLY have a south wind. Find a spot that will not blow your scent cone on the trail with your typical wind direction & check the wind before setting up. While scouting you may also carry some red fox urine to spray to stir up some activity. Coyotes HATE red fox! Once you find "your" spot, find the place you would like the coyote to be when you shoot. Place a sample of your smallest dog's scat there & the coyote WILL stop to investigate. If not, a high pitched bark will do the trick. Good luck!
Old April 26, 2012, 07:26 AM   #53
Hansam

^^ What he said. That and get a good howler and learn how to use it. Don't bother with the electric ones just get a mouth piece and learn to make it work. Go camp out in a tree stand in camo and give a good howl or better yet "ring the dinner bell" and give'em a wounded rabbit howl.

They'll come running and you just have to be prepared to shoot.
Old April 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #54
"JJ"

Yep, you can aalso call them in. But that will add in some other factors. If you use a distress call they will almost always circle downwind of the sound(you). So you must set up accordingly. If you use coyote vocals, learn the language before you just sound off. Certain howl/barks mean full alert/warning. A deep pitched howl represents an old large intruder which will provoke a flight instead of a fight! The wrong vocal can end your hunt before it begins! I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it takes a bit more planing. If calls is your choice start watching videos and learning the sounds. Maybe get on a predator hunting forum to get more first hand knowledge & experience. The Texas Predator Posse(not just for Texans) & Bucking the Odds are both great forums with great folks who like to share their knowhow! Some of their members are members here as well. Bucking the Odds also has a bunch of hunt videos to watch for free for members. Membership is free on both. If you stop by say hi, I am "JJ" there as wel! Whatever happens, keep us updated & take pics! Good Luck!
Old April 26, 2012, 10:52 AM   #55
BoogieMan

Ill have to take a scouting walk and look more closly for where they are moving. Im from NJ so when in the NC woods im always looking for copper heads not game. Not used to watching out for anything that can bight back.
Old April 26, 2012, 11:05 AM   #56
Gunplummer

I have skipped through this thread and am amazed by the comments. I live near Bucks County, Pa. and we have had coyotes here for more than 20 years. They (coyotes) moved in from somewhere else. The area is farms, woods, cities, towns, swamps. We have it all. Coyotes are rarely sighted. When coyotes are shot they are usually in the 50# to 70# range. They simply can not out breed the hunters around here. I have noticed over the years that Pennsylvania boys (on an average)can really shoot. I have been out west and those coyotes look like pups compared to the eastern coyotes. When you drive around here you see nothing but dogs walking around with no owner about. You guys must be doing something wrong.
Old April 26, 2012, 12:08 PM   #57
BoogieMan

I have never been around bucks county yotes, we have them in SJ also. Thing is in SJ they are not coming into my yard. In NC they are, one ran between my wife and 6 y/o daughter who were within 30' of each other. Thats when we bought the great dane. Since I none of us have seen one in the yard but we hear them close all night and the dane wants to go after them.
Even us Jersey guys can shoot what we can see.
Old April 26, 2012, 01:15 PM   #58
rickyrick

Western coyotes are little because the are hungry. Hungry coyotes will cause the most trouble. They will eat anything to survive, even cow poop. I have actually kept coyotes in check by providing them with a supply of dead pigs.

It's pretty easy to over hunt them. They get keen real quick. As an experiment, I put out some spoiled chicken in front of the game camera and the came back to the same spot for three weeks. So, the next time the calls wear out, I will try chicken and ambush. As stated before, if you find a trail you can easily ambush them if conditions are right.

The snares will catch anything that walks so use caution.
Old April 26, 2012, 03:36 PM   #59
OkieGentleman

Coyote Hating Dog

A farmer I once knew had a mixed breed mutt that was pretty good sized husky looking dog. Its name was Bear because when he was young from a distance he looked like a small black bear. He said when Bear was young the local coyotes lured Bear, with an in heat female, out into a pasture. Well the dog managed to get back to the house though he was chewed up some. The dog got well and grew to be a large dog. The farmer said that when ever he heard the coyotes singing out by his house, if he goes out the next day and does some searching in the fields by his house, he would find a find a dead female coyote that the Bear had killed. That dog hated coyotes with a passion.
Old April 26, 2012, 03:50 PM   #60
Hansam

Here in WI we aren't allowed to hunt coyote over bait despite the fact that they are considered a varmint and its open season on them year round and are one of only two critters you can hunt at night. Heck land owners don't even have to have a hunting license to hunt them if they're on the owner's private land. However for some stupid reason we are not allowed to bait them in.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:40 AM   #61
bamaranger

lots

Lots of folks are loosing pets/dogs to coyotes in my area. Luring out to the pack is one of their tricks.

Lots of stuff on Youtube of coyotes fooling with pets.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:42 PM   #62
buck460XVR

A friend of mine just took this picture in a campground outside Prince George BC.........

Old May 26, 2012, 06:33 PM   #63
scrubcedar

Lived in a rural suburb of Denver when my kids were smaller. (9-14y.o.) The coyotes were VERY thick in the area and equally aggressive. It got to the point where nightly we would hear the yipping that they used to communicate while they were running down prey, then silence when they caught it. The kids started coming home in the evening saying as the sun started to go down the coyotes would start to follow them. The thing that prompted some changes was when they came in, and ran in the door terrified saying a pack had followed them making those sounds. They were on their bikes at the time and able to get safely home, barely. I called the local LE and asked if they had heard anything along those lines. Turns out new building in the area had concentrated them near our house and they were killing pets and scaring joggers pretty much daily. Too close to town to shoot, too many to handle that way anyway. Bought the kids bear pepper spray, best I could do. Part of the reason we moved not too long after.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:56 PM   #64
thallub

Since my last post a coyote marked my pickup sitting the driveway by defecating on the top of the cab. Put two leg hold traps in the truck bed along with some bad venison and caught a large male coyote the next night. One of the neighbors saw me kill that coyote with a crossbow and thought it was awful.

That coyote could have easily killed one of the small neighborhood kids.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:10 PM   #65
scrubcedar

Thallub, feel free to share my experience with your neighbors. They probably don't understand what the stakes are, city folks maybe? My kids experience scared me worse than I like to admit. Whenever they started that yipping sound in the evening and the kids weren't home it almost made me sick. It also made me sad that my kids were growing up in a different time than I did. All of us when we were kids were crack shots with our souped up wrist rockets. We used steel 00 buck for ammo,a perfectly capable set up for small game. I don't know how many of them we would have killed but they would have learned to leave us alone quickly. When I mentioned this to the LE officer I had on the phone he got angry and threatened to arrest any of the kids he found with them. Somewhere along the line we've lost something. I'm not sure how to describe it but I know It's gone.

Last edited by scrubcedar; May 26, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:33 PM   #66
thallub

Quote:
When I mentioned this to the LE officer I had on the phone he got angry and threatened to arrest any of the kids he found with them. Somewhere along the line we've lost something. I'm not sure how to describe it but I know It's gone.
Yes, it is gone and thats very sad. Growing up in WV every boy i knew had a slingshot. Where i live kids aged about 3-6 run all over the place unsupervised. All thats needed for a disaster is a bold hungry coyote.

Once in awhile theres a turn toward sanity but not often. For many years the OK game commission zealously protected cougars under threat of arrest. Folks grew fed up with cougars attacking livestock and contacted their legislators. The legislature passed a law that allows the killing of cougars that threaten humans or livestock.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:47 AM   #67
scottd913

seems if you want to just keep them away you might wanna go to the local zoo and get some large cat urine place it around your perimeter: unless you just like shooting them, then I'm no hunter...dont hunters eat what they shoot?
Old May 27, 2012, 02:36 AM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...dont hunters eat what they shoot?
Not all hunting is the same.

When hunting to harvest game, it is illegal and is considered unethical to shoot a game animal or bird without making use of it as a food resource.

When hunting to control pests--an activity which is legal and necessary to control certain types of pest populations--there is no legal or ethical mandate to make use of the killed pest animals as a food resource. In some cases it would be foolish to even try.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:36 AM   #69
ScottieG59

Though the backyard is fenced, I bring the dogs in a night due to predators like coyotes. One evening one was outside the fence. It did not hang long after I got home. It is one critter that just needs killing.

I know a lady who raises goats and coyotes go after them. She also has lamas. Those lamas will chase the coyotes down and kill them. I found it interesting lamas were like that.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:53 AM   #70
tchunter

Since I started this post I have lost 9 meat chickens to coyotes. The neighbor kid down the road stays up to all hours of the night and has witnessed a large coyote on the property several times. I have since given him the green light to shoot. I hope I get waken up to the sound of a gun shot very soon. As for the coyote that stalked my dogs, I think my presence hunting them has been enough to keep them farther from the house lately. Unless they are just getting full on baby rabbtis and turkeys!
Old May 27, 2012, 10:15 AM   #71
Husqvarna

Re scotty and the lamas. People in my country (sweden) has just recently vegan buying lamas ro protect their livestock against the wolf which is making a comeback strong. Ive been told donkeys work to!

sorry for my spelning my smarthphone isnt english
Old May 27, 2012, 12:34 PM   #72
shortwave

Quote:
Ive been told donkeys work to!
You were told correctly but the sheep farmers I know say llamas are much more aggressive with the yotes.

I had a rather scary experience last year at one of the sheep farms I hunt.

The farmers son wanted me to save a yote I shot as he was wanting to try his hand at a bit of taxidermy. Right at daybreak, I shoot a big male and am on my way out of the field, carrying the yote.
The farmers llama must have winded the yote and came running across the field at me. Yours truely dropped the yote and took off running for the fence. As I cleared the fence, I looked back to see the llama tap dancing on the yote. He literally stomped the yote till it was un-recognizable.
I have heard llamas can be aggressive but had never witnessed firsthand just how bad they could get until then. I'm sure the yote scent was on me and am glad Mr. Llama stopped at the yote and didn't pursue me cause I don't think I would have made it to the fence.

Lesson learned: farmers boy will have to get his own yote.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:10 PM   #73
scrubcedar

...dont hunters eat what they shoot? I've still got a lot of pals down in southern Colorado who bag these critters nightly. I can get you as much free range Coyote meat as you'd like scott. Seriously you're right about the motives but looking at it the wrong way. Coyotes are normally killed to prevent loss of livestock, meat in other words.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #74
Buzzcook

Quote:
dont hunters eat what they shoot?
If you find a fly in your house, do you kill it? If so do you eat it?
Old May 28, 2012, 02:26 PM   #75
rickyrick

Coyote hunting is mainly a management thing. But it's quite fun, so for many involved, it's a sport.