The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2010, 07:03 PM   #1
stodd

Federal Small Pistol Primers

Hello again...

I was at my local gun shop today and was only able to find some federal small pistol match grade primers (GM100M).

Are they good primers? I've never used them before.. Has anyone used this before in a 38 Spl and 9MM cases?

Thanks..
Stodd
Old August 10, 2010, 07:06 PM   #2
Six Shooter Steve

Never used match grade before, but I use federals on my 9mm,38spl,357 loads and have not had any issue out of them.

{There is no problem that can't be solved by the use of high explosives}
Old August 10, 2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have used Federal magnum and regular "Match" primers in 357sig. They are waaaaayyyyyy too soft for my purposes. I literally can not load them at any power level without having pierced primers in my Glock 33. I have tried them with Power Pistol and Unique, same outcome. Any muzzle velocity from under 1100fps to over 1400fps, I get 30-80% pierced primers.
Old August 10, 2010, 08:00 PM   #4
armoredman

I use regular Fed small pistol primers, and they are soft - I can see marks on them from the priming tool - but they still seem to work OK in 38 and 9mm for me.
Old August 11, 2010, 01:15 AM   #5
Mike-Mat

I know when I was using them in my Lee Loadmaster, I had lots of problems and one primer detonation incident. I use CCI now and have had zero problems.

Mike Mattera
Old August 11, 2010, 09:15 AM   #6
McClintock

I use the regular Federal #100's a lot, if I can get them, primers are getting harder and harder to find here north of the border. I like them because they are a bit softer; I was getting some light strikes with my CZ-75 (the M&P didn't seem to care, though) using Winchester primers, but every one of the Federals went bang. I only load for target/competition use, and don't have to make a power factor, so I'm not loading very hot ammo like peetzakilla, and have had no problems with primers being pierced.

Just as an aside, Mike-Mat, I seem to recall Lee recommending NOT using Federal primers in their products, for just that reason, possible detonation. That didn't stop me from using them in a Pro 1000, however, and several thousand primers went through that press with nary a problem (I would get the occasional flipped or crushed primer, but that happened with all brands of primers I tried. Of course, YMMV, that's just my $0.02.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old August 11, 2010, 10:55 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

I just bought 23,000 Federal 100 small pistol primers at a local store for $24.95/1000. (There were more) It gives me hope that the shortage is ALMOST over.

SASS 47015
Old August 11, 2010, 11:53 AM   #8
McClintock

Jbar, I am green with envy. Even if I could get Federal 100's, I pay a darn sight more than $24.95/1000... my last case of Feds ran me $35/1000 and I thought that was cheap! Winchesters run about $44/1000 (with all the applicable taxes). Not sure about CCI's, I'll have to check on them.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old August 11, 2010, 12:07 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I was just up at Camp Perry yesterday and the dealers were starting to pack up and leave Commercial Row. All had numerous boxes of every kind of primer except the CCI #34 and #41. Absolutely everything else, case after case (5000 primers per case) stacked high. A lot of prices were in the range of $150-170/5000. Up about $50 from the summer before the election two years ago. That price range is probably why a lot of them were being packed up unsold. The dealers were being optimistic about what they could get for them, post-shortage.

Regarding the Federal match primers, they are identical to the non-match, but just made to tighter rejection tolerances. If a load is suitable for a 100, it is suitable for a 100M. These are fine for all .38 load pressures and all target loads. They should also be fine with full pressure 9mm if the firing pin isn't over-zealous. That is gun-dependent.

If in doubt, call Federal and ask what they use in their own commercial 9mm loads?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 11, 2010, 12:21 PM   #10
GeorgeSr

I have used Federal small rifle,large rifle, and small pistol and have had no issues with them at all.
Old August 11, 2010, 02:00 PM   #11
BigJimP

Like others have advised - Federals are too soft for me to recommend using them. I prefer CCI's or Winchester ...

Locally - at our gun show last weekend - there were lots of primers for sale around $ 28 per 1,000 for CCI and Winchester ( one table had at least 50,000 small pistol / and another 50,000 large pistol ) / although a few tables were still around $ 40 as well.

I would try and return the Federals if they will accept them back ...and hold out for some CCI's .
Old August 16, 2010, 03:19 PM   #12
Jerry11826

Federal primers are the best for reduced velocity loads in pistol cases. They are more sensitive i.e. will fire with lighter hammer springs. Lighter hammer springs can mean better trigger control. They also seem to burn hotter than other brands.

It is good to see Federals coming back on the market. Have been using Wolf primers for practice and Federals for matches.

If the price comes down a little bit I am going to stock pile. Don't want this to happen again.

Jerry