The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 11, 2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Dr Killdeer

Scratch removal question

Is it possible to polish out scratches on a 1911 stainless steel slide? If so, what kind of compound can be used, what tools do I need and what’s the best way to go about it?
Old April 11, 2010, 10:11 AM   #2
jaguarxk120

It all depends on how deep the scratches are and how the slide is finished. You may want to send it back to mfgr for refinishing as they will have the proper equipment and materials to finish it right.
Old April 11, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
mete

Newburgh ? You need a gun !! I'll be there tomorrow gun in hand !
I would use 400 grit wet/dry paper on a flat backing for the sides .For the top if it's textured use a coarse maybe 180 grit and hammer the paper against the slide to match the original texture.If the scratches are deep you might start out with coarser paper to remove the scratch then finish with 400.
Old April 11, 2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Chris_B

In my opinion, 400 grit sandpaper is going to mark up stainless steel pretty badly.

How deep is this scratch? Photographs, please
Old April 11, 2010, 04:29 PM   #5
mete

I should have mentioned - if you have a highly polished gun [ NONE of mine are ] techniques are different . Then you have to use a paper coarse enough to get out the scratches easily then use progressively finer paper to return to the original finish.
Old April 12, 2010, 07:32 AM   #6
Dr Killdeer

The top is textured and the sides are polished. The scratches are from contact with the slide release. Not deep. I think I'll give it a try and then if I screw it up, I'll ship it back to Springfield and let them restore it.

mete, you better bring an extra magazine if you're going to Newburgh. As you know, it has the highest crime rate per capita of any city in the state, including NYC. It's a target rich environment. Be safe!