The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 13, 2001, 01:31 PM   #1
muzzletalk

Mark II

I am looking into getting a new toy. I have been looking into the Ruger Mark II , Browning buck mark and have ruled out the S&W 22's. Looking for some opinions and comments on what those of you have been using. I have found a Ruger Mark II KMK - 512 on sale for $296.00. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the help
Old August 13, 2001, 02:12 PM   #2
Raider

I have a MK II heavy 5 1/2 in barrel model (blue) and I just love it. Not only super accurate on paper targets but, for me at least, its the perfect handgun for rattin' around out in the woods.

I've shot and owned Colt Woodsman, High Standard, and the old model Browning 22's but in my opinion, the Ruger is way ahead in terms of quality and features when compared to cost.

$296 is a good price in my neck of the woods. I don't think you can go wrong with the Ruger.

Charlie
Old August 13, 2001, 02:15 PM   #3
scouter27

What made you rule out S&W?
Old August 13, 2001, 02:18 PM   #4
nine fingers

I own both, and I always reach for the Browning first. It is more accurate and easier to clean, IMHO.
Old August 13, 2001, 02:40 PM   #5
muzzletalk

Smith & Wesson have always been a good name. Looking at the other makers of 22's, for the same price I think you get alot more as far as quality.
Old August 13, 2001, 03:23 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

No collection is complete without at least one Ruger 22LR automatic pistol.

Old August 13, 2001, 03:38 PM   #7
Edward429451

I've shot a few MK II's and we own one. Its excellant in all respects except first time takedown, super tight.
Jonathan Ciener in florida makes them suppressed for cheaper than you'd think, It comes back with what appears to be an 8" bull barrel and is super quiet. I think their 499. and you get a new gun or 350. on your gun. (Plus the 200. Fed fee)
Old August 13, 2001, 06:12 PM   #8
Arub

I've had a standard MarkII for a couple of years now. It's slightly ammo sensitive, jams MiniMag hollow points, other than that, eats anything else. It's super accurate with the fixed sights, holds a tight group at 25 yards and I use 2" swinging targets at that range. I occaisionally shoot empty twelve guage hulls at 50 feet with it. Normal diet is CCI MiniMags in round nose.

First couple of take downs (actually 'put togethers') were a little rough, but field stripping and reassembly improves with practice.

Love the gun!
Old August 13, 2001, 09:57 PM   #9
rvb

another vote for the MkII

I just came back from the range after putting 100 rnds through my new MkII Gov't Target Model. It has a 7" Bull Barrel, adjustable sights.

I had an ejection/feed problem (CCI MiniMag HPs) around the 25th round, but what a great shooter!!! Get one!!! And you can't have mine!!

And I've already done the takedown, and it's NOT difficult, just do what the book tells you.

A question I have is:
Does it get easier to separate the barrel/receiver from the frame over time, or am I going to have to keep a hammer and block of wood in the gun supplies for when I want to take the pistol apart?? (Which won't be that often, I immagine).

rvb
Old August 13, 2001, 10:03 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, it gets easier. Some judicious use of a stone can help.

Jim
Old August 13, 2001, 10:26 PM   #11
cecILL

Hello All! New here but have been watching for several weeks. KA site. As muzzletalk, I was thinking about a Ruger .22. Would this be a good decision? He wants $150.00 for a blued, 5 3/4"(?) Target Barrel and it looks like new. Should I be concerned? cec
Old August 13, 2001, 11:13 PM   #12
VonFatman

I have the Mk. II Competition Stainless Steel. It's a very trouble free gun. It prefers high velocity ammo...I use the bulk Remington stuff at Wally World. I bought a set of Volquartsen grips. Very nice. Then I had a Volquartsen sear and a Clark trigger installed. Now it's so smooth and stays on target so well it's now my .22 pistol of choice over my Buckmark Standard (which I really like). You won't go wrong with the price you have been quoted either.
Old August 13, 2001, 11:38 PM   #13
fastforty

A MkII Target was one of my first pistols, and I'd NEVER part with it. No telling HOW many bricks I've ran through it, and it's never had a jam (ok, after that non-factory magazine was resigned to paperweight duty. Buy only factory mags for it). Well balanced, easy to handle/shoot, VERY accurate gun. I thought that I just "got lucky" with the unit that I got, but sooooo many other shooters are equally as pleased with theirs. I chose it over the Browning, and was beside myself for a while (the Browning's "lines" are much sexier), but I have no regrets now.
Old August 13, 2001, 11:41 PM   #14
rugerfreak

I have a stainless Standard 4 3/4 MK-II-----I put the Ruger grips on it like the Competition Model and used Houge stainless hex grip screws to hold them on. This little gun is flawless in function-----looks good with the new grips and feels great in my hand. It will outshoot my buddy's Target Model regularly and this is with the fixed sights and cheap Remington ammo from Wal-Mart. I paid $250 for it NIB a couple of months ago and spent $45 for the grips and screws at Midway. This gun is perfect for me out in the woods-----Get the Ruger ---I think you'll be more than satisfied.
Old August 14, 2001, 12:19 AM   #15
MatthewM

The question comes up many times on this board. I've been reading and posting my own for nine months. When asked the open ended question of which pistol of this type, the concensus is always to get a Mark II.
I think the KMK-512 might be the best all around model. I'm personally going to get the KMK-678GCC .
There is also one called the "Great Eight" which is 8" blued bull.

www.youngsguns.com has great prices and quote $294, so your price sounds "right on".

I wanted a more cool looking one and almost ordered a Hammerli "TrailSide" but the great posters here said that although it may be a wonderful gun, the plastic magazines make it jam.

The S&W models at most stores seem like crap to me. You can grab the bolt with it either open or closed and wiggle it all over the place. Not very tight for a brand new gun.

ps: Check out ALL the models, the most expensive is only another $40. Although, like I said, this may be the best version for you.

Make sure and use your tax rebate check for it. That will give it more meaning to you. I'm going to! $300 for the pistol and $300 for more ammo.
Old August 14, 2001, 07:05 AM   #16
denfoote

I have a P512, and a P4, but I think I am destined to trade them away on the new Walther P22 that I ordered this weekend!!! I am, however, keeping the MK-II!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old August 14, 2001, 08:02 AM   #17
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Smith & Wesson have always been a good name. Looking at the other makers of 22's, for the same price I think you get alot more as far as quality.
422's are fun, but only mediocre in the accuracy department.
It's replacement, the 22A is a shop queen. (Ask a shop that has a high-mileage rental one how often it's broke; we don't even stock them any more)
The 41 is not "the same price" as any .22 pistol, except for some that say "Benelli" on them and such.

Value for the money in .22's from *&*? Only the ones that are round in the middle, and the 617 is priced pretty steeply these days, too...
Old August 14, 2001, 01:58 PM   #18
muzzletalk

Well I ordered it. Amazingly, I order it today and it will be here tomorrow. We will see how it shoots later this week. I will keep you guys posted.
Old August 16, 2001, 07:28 AM   #19
muzzletalk

Well I picked the gun up yesterday and it looks awesome. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but I will today. Have a couple of questions though. First can I put an aimpoint type of scope on this some how and how would I go about doing it? Imagine it would require drilling and tapping for a scope base but not really sure.
Old August 16, 2001, 04:20 PM   #20
Mal H
Staff

muzzletalk - Congrats on your new Mk II, you're gonna love it!

Yes you can mount an Aimpoint type of sight on it. Check to see if it isn't already drilled and tapped for a scope rail, I think your model is. I put a Jack Weigand rail on my Mk-512 and it works perfectly, very solid. Jack has a model for a Mk II that isn't factory drilled but I have no experience with that one.

(BTW, I would have said the above even if Jack hadn't just joined us on TFL. )
Old August 16, 2001, 05:11 PM   #21
Russ

I bought a 512 for $299 about 10 months ago. Great shooter, I also have a Buckmark. I like them both but if I had to choose I would go with the Ruger.

Very accurate. Stainless steel. I like it!

Good choice.
Old August 20, 2001, 11:37 AM   #22
muzzletalk

Range report:

3 words "I like It"! Great little shooter. Put about 200 rounds through it without a flaw. Its extrealmy accurate.
Old August 21, 2001, 04:35 PM   #23
Steel

I cannot speak as to the others, but I own a Buck Mark and have been very pleased. It is a solidly-made piece, that feeds well, and is accurate.