The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 1, 2014, 03:56 AM   #1
NotMeNotYou

+P And Aluminum Frames

Hi, maybe you guys have some thoughts on this--I have a lot more experience with S&W .357's than autoloaders other than 1911's. The only alloy framed pieces I have are a brace of Beretta 92's & a pair of SIG-Sauer P-6's(P225) built in 1979 for the West German police. The Berettas are pretty beefy, and Buffalo Bore has velocity from a 92FS for their +P 9X19 on their web-site so I'm pretty comfortable here. That & 2 cases of IMI ball @1300 fps run through them w/o a hickup. The P-6's I'm not so sure... Not mouse-guns by any means, but what back in the day we called "compact"...single stack,3.9"bbl, 25.9 oz. empty. No doubts about SIG-Sauer quality, but I'd hate to twist a frame should they be pressed into service for more than punching paper & soda bottles. I like as much pop as I can get in such a case. Any advise on velocity, projectile weights,anything would be welcome. Thanks, JMM
Old March 1, 2014, 09:41 AM   #2
kcub

Don't all cases hold the same amount of pop? 12 oz. X 24 cans?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old March 1, 2014, 09:54 AM   #3
kcub

Back in the 80's I had Ace Hindman make me a .45 Super out of a lightweight Colt officer's model. The aluminum frame went out of whack and Ace got Colt to replace it. No further problems even with suoer ammo.
Old March 1, 2014, 10:29 AM   #4
KyJim

Per original SAAMI specs, maximum pressure for standard 9mm (9x19) is 35,000 psi and maximum pressure for 9mm +P is 38,000 psi. The pressure for 9mm Nato is 36,500 psi.1 Since the P6 was designed for military and police use in Europe, it presumably was designed to shoot a steady dose of 9mm Nato. While I would not put a steady diet of 9mm +P ammo through a P6, I would feel okay with occaisionally shooting some while mostly shooting standard pressure ammo at the range. However, someone with real experience might be able to better answer this.

1See Wikiepedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9mm_NAT..._NATO_standard and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpressure_ammunition. I think NATO standards are officially stated in a different unit of measurement so the psi is probably estimated for it. SAAMI now also uses a different measurement.
Old March 1, 2014, 12:32 PM   #5
NotMeNotYou

Thanks, Exactly What I Needed

kcub--I think they are 12,20 & 32oz. ...and thanks for the input.

Ky Jim-- Thanks much, this is exactly what I was looking for. As they are earlier models, their ramps/throats will only reliably feed ball w/o modification.Sounds like I won't have a Catastaufic(SP)Failure if I run through a mag or 2 of +P in a pinch.Thanks Again, both.