The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 13, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Brasscatcher84

Fobus Holsters and Accessories Any Good?

I carry concealed a S&W M&P 9mm and a S&W M&P 9 compact. I'm looking at getting a strong side paddle holster for the full size (which apparently will also accept the compact) and a Fobus ankle holster for the compact. I'm also thinking about one of their paddle magazine and flashlight holders.

Any opinions on the functionality, comfort, and quality of Fobus gear? Is it any good for concealed carry?
Old August 13, 2011, 05:13 PM   #2
kraigwy

Nothing wrong with my Fobus holster.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 13, 2011, 05:17 PM   #3
Brasscatcher84

What is presentation like from a Fobus? Is it more or less difficult to draw from than a thumbbreak leather holster?
Old August 13, 2011, 07:16 PM   #4
pstrlipscomb

I have worn fobus holsters and magazine holders daily for two years at work and everywhere else. They show no wear on the outside, and are easy on the gun's finish as well. Both are as tight as new. I have them for Glock a 23 and a 1911. I find that they retain extremely well, but draw very easily when you push the gun forward while drawing. Mine are paddle holsters, and I find them comfortable for all day carry if you wear them high on your hip. You can easily slide the holster around your waist to find the most comfortable position ar adjust for coats or getting in the car. This style almost eliminates sag, but a spare mag helps balance the weight. One is an Evolution and the other is a Kimber embossed model. I prefer the Evolution.
Old August 13, 2011, 08:21 PM   #5
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Brasscatcher84
Fobus Holsters and Accessories Any Good?
I carry concealed a S&W M&P 9mm and a S&W M&P 9 compact. I'm looking at getting a strong side paddle holster for the full size (which apparently will also accept the compact) and a Fobus ankle holster for the compact. I'm also thinking about one of their paddle magazine and flashlight holders.

Any opinions on the functionality, comfort, and quality of Fobus gear? Is it any good for concealed carry?
Wearing a Fobus paddle holster right now. I have a few and they ride high to med-high. I like them because they allow for a quick draw and they don't drag your pants down even if you don't have a real good belt on - even with a 5946!!!

No experience on the ankle holster, because based on past personal experience, that particular position is difficult to draw from. If you are going to wear the ankle holster as a backup, then it is a different story.
Old August 14, 2011, 12:22 AM   #6
ClydeFrog

Fobus concealment holsters, Maria Bello: NBC's Prime Suspect...

I'm a little eh, about the entire Fobus holster line.
A few armed professionals & sworn LE officers like them but I'm not a big fan of the metal rivet design. It sticks out & looks like it could snag or jab a lot of #%*+ as you move around.
There are a few online videos; www.YouTube.com where Fobus holsters break off or are jacked up quickly.
Blade-tech, Safariland, COM Holsters, Blackhawk, etc make better polymer holsters IMO.
BTW: Maria Bello rocks a older Fobus holster with her big SIG Sauer 9x19mm in the new US version of Prime Suspect. That will air on NBC this fall.

Clyde
Old August 14, 2011, 04:56 AM   #7
r_magill

+1 to what Clyde says.

I have seen to many videos of Fobus holsters breaking to trust them for anything other than a range holster. If I were in your shoes, I would get a different holster and there are plenty makers out there. Personally, I like blackhawk SERPA holsters, but that's me.
Old August 14, 2011, 08:45 AM   #8
JerryM

I have used Fobus paddle holsters for at least 15 years. I have used them primarily as range holsters. I have 1911, J-Frame, and Glock holsters.
I have seen the videos of a guy breaking one off his buddy's belt. I wonder why anyone would just stand and let another run up to him and grab his gun and holster.

I asked a friend to try to break mine off with a jerk, and he was not able to do it. Sure if the rivets rust it would break, but it is more rugged than the video indicates.

I would not want to carry a 1911, or other large gun in one as a CC holster as it does not hold the gun as close and tight to the body as I believe necessary.

My usual carry is a KT P3AT in a Fobus paddle holster. It works fine, and although I have leather holsters I like the paddle best for my on/off use.
I do not use a Fobus as a CC holster for anything else other than the P3AT.

In general there are much better holsters for CC, but if a Fobus works for you then try it. You are not out a lot of money. I do not like a paddle for all day use as the paddle never fits just right against my body, and that also goes for the quality kydex paddles.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old August 14, 2011, 09:17 AM   #9
bossman

Paddle hosters sound like a great ideal, but I've yet to find one that works for CCW. They make great range or woods holsters just not for CCW, IMO.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old August 14, 2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Onward Allusion

Quote:
JerryM
I have used Fobus paddle holsters for at least 15 years. I have used them primarily as range holsters. I have 1911, J-Frame, and Glock holsters.........
I should have added that my Fobus paddle holsters for large frames are not for CC. They are for around-the-house, woods, and range. The only Fobus paddle that I would consider for CC is the one for the Kel Tec P32, but I carry that in a pocket holster.

If it was for the role of a duty holster, I would go Safariland. Not as fast on the draw but much better retention capabilities.
Old August 14, 2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Qtiphky

Love mine

I have a Fobus paddle holster for my two 1911's and a S&W Model 66-1 4" 357 mag revolver. I have a Blackhawk SERPA for my Sig P229. I prefer the Fobus as they hold the pistols higher and tighter to my body. The Serpa is safer in that it is a pain in the ass to try and get off my belt when I am done, but it doesn't ride as high or tight. I will probably get a Fobus paddle for each of my handguns eventually, but I don't think they are truly designed for conceal carry.

I was carrying the 357 this weekend with just a t-shirt hanging over it and my buddy didn't notice until I tucked my shirt in.

I have IWB holsters for conceal carry. A Bianchi for my Walther PPK/s and I have ordered a Cross Breed Super Tuck for my Beretta 92FS Compact.
Old August 15, 2011, 01:11 AM   #12
ClydeFrog

Paddle carry systems, housewives & 14 year old girls...

The subject of paddle holsters reminds me of a old comedy bit I saw on the popular Kids In The Hall series.
A woman says to record store clerk that she wants a band's "greatest hits" CD. The clerk wigs out & shrieks; "Greatest Hits are for housewives & 14 year old girls!".

Many gunners & pistol packers feel the same - way about paddle carry IMO.
I used a Blade-tech paddle design with my Ruger GPNY revolver but I wouldn't buy another. Paddle holsters shift & twist to much. They also dig into your sides in awkward ways.

A belt or shoulder rig makes a lot more sense.
SOB/MOB(back holsters) & ankle rigs are for another post.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:02 AM   #13
pstrlipscomb

I have to jump back in on a couple of points.

I have not seen most of the referenced YouTube videos, but I did see a kid jump off a pop machine and bust his face on YouTube!

I have done yard work, construction work, ATV riding, running, and more with my holsters for two years with no weakening. The holster will hold the pistol up even without a belt, but with a 1.25 inch belt the tabs on a Fobus paddle simply keep my holsters (even the 1911) firmly in place where I put them. The Glock 23 is as close to feeling not there as it could be.

For concealed carry, they do ride high and tight, but a cover garment is necessary. I wear mine under suit coats or a Cabela's Safari Vest. At work I wear them in the open.

Getting hot and sweaty makes any rig uncomfortable, and the Fobus paddles are no different, but the sweat does no damage to the holster, and the gun gets enough air that it does not sweat either.

My favorite part is that I only have about $20 in each of them and have to do nothing to care for them. I admit that I am going to be buying a pretty leather holster for my 1911 for dressing up, but I know that will likely cost me near $80, and I cannot afford to buy many of those at that price.

If a product is great but not made in the USA, Israel is a great second and a plus for me.

I have experienced several positives and no negatives in these holsters, yet.
Old August 15, 2011, 06:18 AM   #14
lmccrock

I do not know about the paddles, but my Fobus holsters kindof wore out, in terms of retention, after several years of match use. Not sure how that translates into daily carry. At the price, they are easy to replace, but I went with Blade-Tech as replacements. Have to wait and see about durability.
Old August 15, 2011, 10:09 AM   #15
Brasscatcher84

Thanks for the input, everyone, but I think I''ve decided to go with a DeSantis Thumbreak Scabbard for my M&P, and a concealment t-shirt (undershirt) for the compact to use as a BUG.