The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 16, 2009, 07:55 PM   #1
DocDizz

Slugs out of 26"

Howdy all. So, i plan on bringing my Benelli Nova back from NH when I go home for Thanksgiving to do some hunting (deer, dove, etc etc) and was wondering if there's anybody else out there that uses the same barrel for all hunting (I priced a slug barrel and I'd be better off getting a dedicated slug gun from Mossberg or Remington) and if so, what choke you use for slugs or buckshot. I've been told a modified would do fine with the slugs and IC would work for buckshot. NC tends to issue about 5,493 deer tags per person and I'll have about a month to hunt, so I should be able to test both out. Any feedback is welcome
Old November 16, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Newton24b

if you use an improved cylinder bore, try out brenneke ko foster type slugs, those work good in smooth tubes. and that longer barrel will really help with accuracy.
Old November 16, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An open choke usually does better with slugs. Modified is about as tight as I go.

As for buck, pattern divers brands of 00 with an IC choke and then see what switching to the Mod tube does.
Old November 16, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I shoot slugs out of IC and IM chokes all the time with no degradation of accuracy. I shoot both Brenneke and Foster slugs out of smoothbore and slug barrels with equally good results. The only thing I won't shoot a slug through is a full choke.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 17, 2009, 07:31 PM   #5
DG45

Two weeks ago, I test fired both buckshot and slugs in an old 12 Gauge Remington Model 11 that I'd recently purchased. It had a 26" I/C barrel. I used five 2 3/4 inch Remington Express 00 Buckshot, five 2 3/4 inch Remington Express #1 Buckshot, and five 2 3/4 inch Remington Sluggers for the test. I set my targets at 30 measured yards. I got a little wider spread than I expected with both the 00 buckshot and #1 buckshot at that range although all pellets were on the target, but I was really impressed with the Remingon Sluggers (which I believe are foster-type rifled slugs). All five hit within a 6" circle dead center in the middle of the target. All shots were taken standing up without support.

I didn't test the beyond 30 yards because that was an adequate distance for what I needed (for HD) but I imagine I could have kept all of the Sluggers within an 8" circle at 50 yards. And I make no claim to being a particularly good marksman.
Old November 18, 2009, 10:01 PM   #6
nutty ned

I use the same barrel; however, for the rest of your questions, you are just going to have to pattern it and find out.