The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 11, 2007, 05:30 PM   #51
mordis

silentarmy i see statements like yours all the time, but with no substantiated proof that a civillian is at a greater risk of being a target. Im not talking LEO im talking civllians, and most leo i talk to arnt the most knowdgleable when it comes to firearms, they just shoot to qualify and thats it.

As a armed guard, my job as deterence, thats why we opened carried as part of our uniform. I believe that a civilian open carrying is doing the same thing as a security guard, acting as a deterent to crime. As I have said in the past, when you know what to look for, its easy to tell when someone is casing a place and when you just detered a crime. I see it all the time. I work the worst places in my area.

I just wish the whole open carry makes you a big target crowed would find some news paper reports, of Civlians not leo's but joe blow, who decided to oc and became a target.

Im reminded of a guy here in northern indiana who went to purchase a car late at night(mistake) and had his ccw with him, but when he was attacked was unable to draw it intime.
Old September 12, 2007, 06:27 PM   #52
hceptj

I carry either a s&w m&p 9c or g30 at 5 o'clock iwb...works out to be the most comfortable position for me due to my work...

...i never leave the house w/o one or the other and sometimes a p32 in a pants pocket...

...depending on which holster I wear I carry an extra mag...a couple of holsters have mag holders and a couple don't...

...i feel that 11+ rounds of either is enough to defend myself but if I have a mag holder, why not take advantage of it...
Old September 22, 2007, 09:46 PM   #53
PJack

You don't say what your dress requirements are, nor what state you live in.

I live in Arizona, a very gun friendly state. However in my work I have to travel a great deal and I go from bank to bank. Both the travel and the destinations can be hazardous. Except during summer I do wear a jacket. During the summer heat none of us do.

Another problem, carrying is against company policy (it's ok for customers to carry in the bank but not employees, go figure). So one has to decide, do I risk my job or my life. Thus far I have just missed 5 holdups, where I arrived just after or left just before the bad guys arrived. I'm not worried about the guy who passes a note and gets a bag of cash. The 5 I missed were all armed robberies, and I just don't want to trust that they will be a "safe" robbery. Too many are not.

So I take my ccw deadly serious, every day the loss of my job (and career) or the risk of my life are on the line. So I greatly appreciate the advice. Since I first posted this I've switched to IWB at the 4 postion and feel much more comfortable.

I'm also thinking of switching from by Glock 19 to my XD. I shoot the XD much more accurately from 25 feet on out, but I have night sights on the Glock and none on the XD yet.
Old September 24, 2007, 11:02 AM   #54
bikerbill

Carry

My daily carry gun is a Kahr PM9 ... I carry it during the summer in a De Santis pocket holster. When I can wear an overshirt or jacket, I carry it crossdraw in a Fobus paddle holster. I also bought a Coronado leather vest with two chest level pockets. Excellent concealment, but I find it hard to draw the gun quickly, so I don't wear it much. Tried a fanny pack, but I have draw issues with it too.

--------<

You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything ...
Old September 24, 2007, 11:27 AM   #55
Hard Ball

Strug side on the belt in a forward raked open top exposed trigger guard holster,