The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2009, 08:19 PM   #26
Maromero

I say we b/c this is the 1st time I've seen a pig skinned, we leave the hog resting overnight with the rub, wake at @ 3:00 am to set the fires just like you do. Cooking is done with slow heat over 12-14 hr.s with a 100 pig. If you opt to put it in the pole we constantly rotate (very slow rate) the pole with an electric motor or spread it over a steel grill and tie it with wire to flip over every 15 min. When done apply water with salt over the skin. This will crisp the skin avoiding the soggy skin. When properly done the pig wants to unravelled and fall off the pole or grill.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:29 PM   #27
simonkenton

. .

Last edited by simonkenton; October 19, 2009 at 05:26 AM. Reason: failed attempt to delete
Old October 17, 2009, 08:35 PM   #28
simonkenton

[I] I say we b/c this is the 1st time I've seen a pig skinned,/I]

This pig was not skinned. Hide was left intact, and you don't want to remove the skin to roast a pig. You would scorch and ruin a lot of meat if you skinned the hog.

Yes you could just get up early and cook the pig.
If you wanted to use the aluminum foil tent, I bet you could cook a 100 pound pig in 10 hours.
But, doing that you couldn't see the pig.
Half the fun is seeing the pig on that oak spit, it really gets the attention of the party goers.
Old October 17, 2009, 09:00 PM   #29
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As for the scorched/singed hair, my NZ buddy says that done properly, you cannot tell it wasn't taken off in water. Also, if you wish to dunk and scrape, DO NOT USE BOILING WATER!!! The temp has to be between 185 and 200... Any higher and it actually anchors the hair tighter. You dunk real quick and scrape, repeating until hair is gone.

I also attest to the value of the skin left on... When I make a "griller" up for folks, they pay out the nose for my service and ingredients.

You will buy a pound of fat back and the largest roll of HEAVY DUTY brand name foil or 2 for wrapping. I stuff the gut and stitch it up with stainless tie wire and then have to 100% completely wrap to seal the whole thing or it will not be really up to snuff...
Brent
Old October 17, 2009, 11:53 PM   #30
Yellowfin

I've been doing some research, and it appears the very best tool for the task is this thing:

http://www.lacajachina.com/
Old October 18, 2009, 09:29 PM   #31
FrontSight

I dunno for sure Yellowfin, but I have heard that the E-Z Que is the way to go..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veote75jiDk

http://www.ezqueinc.com/

The design cradles the whole pig, can be done by one single person, allows you to simply rotate the pig right off of the cradle & onto a tray, and only takes 4.5 hours instead of 12 - 20 hours...
Old October 19, 2009, 05:36 AM   #32
simonkenton

EZQUE is pretty cool.

Only $2,300

While looking at the EZQUE video, I saw some other videos, one guy had a home excercise machine with an electric motor, and bicycle wheels rigged to it, to keep the pig constantly rotating. Complicated, and ugly.
Most of these guys' systems are built on the idea that the pig has to be constantly be rotated.

As I have proven, you only need to rotate the pig one half-turn every 45 minutes.

Last edited by simonkenton; October 19, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old October 19, 2009, 05:58 AM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

simon, I turn them 1/4 turn every 15-20 minutes when on a spit unless kids are around... Then I tell them it is a requirement to keep it in motion at all time.
Brent
Old October 19, 2009, 06:00 AM   #34
Uncle Buck

Dang,, That looks good!

Just got back from the Philippines where roasted pig is considered a delicacy. My Sister-in-law got married and they had five roasted pigs.

Instead of dipping the whole hog in a barrel of water and scrapping, we dip hot water out of the barrel and pour it on the pig., then scrape that area. Works pretty good for old handicapped folks like me who can not get around.

I love the recipe you provided. I think we will be trying it in a few weeks... Thanks for sharing.
Old October 19, 2009, 05:55 PM   #35
fisherman66

Quote:
simon, I turn them 1/4 turn every 15-20 minutes when on a spit unless kids are around... Then I tell them it is a requirement to keep it in motion at all time.
That sounds like sumthin I'd say. Great minds...
Old October 20, 2009, 07:20 AM   #36
DRice.72

Man I miss those mountains. I grew up in Spring Creek, from the knob above our house you looked down on Doggit mtn. I went to the old Spring Creek elementary school. I believe its a retirement home now.
Old October 20, 2009, 11:37 AM   #37
simonkenton

That view is down the French Broad River valley, 4 miles west of Marshall, looking over Little Pine Road.
Old October 20, 2009, 12:22 PM   #38
DRice.72

I believe Spring Creek is just on the other side of that ridge. The road we liked off of went from Hwy 209 over either Big Pine or Little pine into Marshall. That way only took 45 mins, going the other way was almost two hours, but then you were driving through Hot Springs and coming back up 25/70 on the old highway.