The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 24, 2000, 10:50 AM   #1
Jhp147

I have been on the Forum for a few months now, never posted a new topic, but this hasn't been mentioned and I think I've found something good. I wanted a lightweight vest so that I could carry a full-sized belt holster type gun instead of a snub gun on the ankle. I looked at the various vests, and they seemed to fall into two categories: Those made expressly for CCW, which ran 80 or more bucks apiece and were not a a style I liked, or the photojournalist's vest, which was a bit too casual or 'commando-y." I didn't want to look like I should be on the streets of Grozny with a big 35mm SLR and flak vest, so this style was out. In the U.S. Cavalry catalog (800-333-5102) I found a Forager Vest, item AA5669. In the most recent catalog, it is on page 123 on sale for $26.88. I bought a khaki one first and have been very happy with it. I don't look like a SOF wanna-be with it, but it still has the pockets and the ability to cover and conceal my gun. It doesn't seem to scream "WEARER PACKING HEAT!" like some of the vests. I liked it so much that I bought a second one in black, which seems even more low-key. They wash well, and if I iron them, they look nice. If my wife irons it, it looks even nicer. The only negative I can find is that the hood rolled up in the collar makes the neck area a bit prone to hold heat, but this is minor. I may remove the hood and see what happens. The service from US Cav was fast, had both in hand in a week. Hope someone finds the info useful.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7
Old February 24, 2000, 05:17 PM   #2
Banzai

Thanks for the lead on those vests. I'm going to look into them. I too was put off by either the high cost of the leather ones or the advertisement/commando look of many of the others! Thanks again.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!