The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 31, 2011, 02:19 PM   #1
willpass64

Buffer Technologies Buffer for Beretta 92FS. *

Hey all,

Has anyone here has used a buffer technologies buffer on any of their pistols and if it was worth it. I was thinking about picking one up for my 92FS, but I don't want to put down the money if there is no difference in recoil.

Thanks
Old August 31, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2
moxie

I've never used a buffer on a 92, but have on 1911s, although not from this company. Not a lot of difference with or without, but they theoretically save wear and tear on lightweight frames.

The 92 doesn't have much recoil to begin with, so I personally wouldn't bother.

And, if you do get one, note use of the buffer requires a new guide rod, so be sure to switch back to the issue guide rod assembly before you carry. You don't need an unnecessary complication in a carry piece.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 31, 2011, 03:39 PM   #3
AustinTX

I've heard a lot of bad reviews. A lot of people say the buffer mushrooms after only a 200 or 300 rounds. It's hard to imagine a buffer of that design really standing up to much use.

The best 92 buffer appears to be the Swiss-Bianco recoil buffer. Here's a really long thread full of positive reviews from the Beretta forum: http://berettaforum.net/vb/showthread.php?t=47067. They're only ~$8 each, as no new guide rod or other parts are required. From a pure physics standpoint, it's not hard to see why the design would be much more durable.
Old August 31, 2011, 04:12 PM   #4
Walt Sherrill

Buffers seem, generally, a solution in search of a problem. Back when I first started shooting, I tried them with several guns, including a high quality 1911 .45, and they required more attention and maintenance (replacement) than did the guns.

Back in the old days, before most of us were born, frames of guns got battered with use -- and that seems to be the reason for buffers: protect the frame. That doesn't seem to be a concern, nowadays, as designs and the metal or polymer used in frames have become stronger or more resilient.

Use one, if you feel you must, but check it regularly, as they tend to cause more functional problems, when they degrade (read, "fall to pieces and get jumbled around inside your gun") than any other part that can be added to a gun.
Old August 31, 2011, 07:34 PM   #5
willpass64

Thanks for all the insight. I had my doubts about getting one. The only reason I thought it might be good is because my beretta has a plastic one now. All the service M9's I carried always had metal ones. Looks like my gun will stay as is.
Old September 2, 2011, 11:02 AM   #6
moxie

willpass,

I think you are confusing a buffer with a guide rod. Some 92s have metal guide rods, while others have plastic. Either is fine. No M9s come with buffers. A buffer is a small plastic part that's added to a guide rod to soften the blow of the slide onto the frame.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old September 7, 2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Jeff OTMG

Yes, what moxie said about a buffer. I liked them to protect the frame, but they don't 'reduce recoil'. I do like the Sprinco systems and have them in many guns. They do reduce frame battering like a buffer pad does and spread the recoil out over a longer time so it feels lessened.