The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 14, 2014, 10:28 PM   #1
keithdog

Concealed Carry jackets

I'm curious. Has anyone ever found a coat or jacket made with interior pockets designed specifically for concealed carry? I've found a couple vests but not a jacket or coat. While many coats come with the interior chest pocket, I haven't seen a single one designed to hold a hand gun for carry. They are either too small or angled wrong for CC purposes. I have a parka with ample outside pocket space, but as my son who works retail puts it, I'd never make it out of the store without store security stopping me to see what I am shop lifting. lol. Apparently, it is quite evident I'm carrying something a bit bulky in my pocket.
Old January 15, 2014, 03:06 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Concealed carry garments....

There are many new lines of concealed carry garments on the US market.
5.11 Tactical, Woolrich Elite, Blackhawk.com, QMuniforms.com, ScottEwear, SIG Sauer, Galls.com, PoliceHQ.com, Glockstore.com .
MN's Duluth Trading; www.duluthtrading.com has a slick blazer filled with hidden pockets.
It's not purpose made for concealed firearms but it's well engineered & stylish.
5.11 marketed a sportcoat designed for weapons/concealed carry but cut it a few years ago.
Old January 16, 2014, 04:32 AM   #3
chris in va

I had a Sig Sauer jacket with two specialized interior pockets. It was alright, but a bit awkward to draw from. Looked exactly like a Carhartt.
Old January 16, 2014, 12:40 PM   #4
slowlowmiata

I have a 5.11 covert fleece. No logos and has pockets designed for a holster
Old January 16, 2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Dirt Diver

My experience has been that the coat or vest makes a poor holster. It was awkward to draw from and distributed the weight of the gun poorly (felt like most of the weight was bunched up on the back of my neck).

I'd say go with a good holster that holds the gun close to your body and pick your cover garment. You'll have more choices and will, more than likely, be more comfortable through the day...
Old January 16, 2014, 10:10 PM   #6
boondocker385

I went thru the same exercise and stuck with traditional holsters but had my jackets tailored to accommodate carry. a few nip and tucks can really cut down on printing and weights on the bottom do wonders. not cheap but not bad ad I had the sleeves dome at the same time.
Old January 18, 2014, 12:15 PM   #7
keithdog

Dirt Diver My experience has been that the coat or vest makes a poor holster. It was awkward to draw from and distributed the weight of the gun poorly (felt like most of the weight was bunched up on the back of my neck).

I'd say go with a good holster that holds the gun close to your body and pick your cover garment. You'll have more choices and will, more than likely, be more comfortable through the day...

I agree with a good quality holster most of the time, but when it's 10 below zero and one is wearing a parka, accessing a holstered gun without unzipping your parka all the way open is almost impossible. However, if you could just unzip the coat part way to access the gun from an interior chest pocket, that would be ideal.