The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2006, 01:26 AM   #1
epr105

Primers

I have not been loading in a few years. I got my stuff out of storage a few weeks ago and all of the stuff I stored away with it was still good. I had this stuff in storage for 5 years. Powders were still good and primers were still good. I know for sure, I made up some reloads and they were fine. Now for the question???
I have always followed the loading data that was published. I want to know how much of a diffrence it makes to use a small rifle primer instead of a small pistol primer. They are the same size what is the real diffrence and how big is it. Would it be like using a magnum primer. Or would the diffrence in the pressure be too great. I know that this must have crossed other peoples minds. Thanks for the info you can provide.
EEPR105
Old February 22, 2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Leftoverdj

SR primers are slightly taller and much tougher. They'll give misfires in some (most?) pistols. I'm not sure what they would do to typical small powder charges in pistol cartridges and have no intention of finding out.

I so shoot some .357 Max, and the SR is the correct primer for that cartridge. I might consider using SR primers in .357 Mag cases with the very slow powders were I planning to hunt in extremely cold weather with a carbine, but that is the only case I can think of.
Old February 22, 2006, 09:34 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Strange, I load small rifle in 9mm P regularly, because I have a lot more SR primers than I need .223s; and have tested them in small pocket .45 NT with no difficulty in seating and no misfires either way. Velocity from a pistol loaded with a small rifle primer is higher than with a small pistol primer, but is less than with a small pistol magnum primer. It is a usual thing in IPSC to disguise the signs of high pressure in the hotloaded .38 Supers there.

I don't load .38 specials with them, I have guns with soft mainsprings that require Federal SP primers for fast DA in competition. But at one time, Federal did not make magnum primers and recommended their small rifle primers for .357 Magnum.

You will, of course, exercise all usual precautions like not starting at maximum powder charge.

It is the large rifle primer that is taller than a large pistol primer and can be dangerous due to not being seated flush or below.
Old February 22, 2006, 11:34 AM   #4
918v

I use all kinds of primers, but stick to pistol primers with pistols if they give me the accuracy I need. If not, then I try magnum primers and then rifle primers. Most times the standard pistol primer will work with an altered powder charge or altered OAL.
Old February 22, 2006, 04:32 PM   #5
ClarkEMyers

I don't have any information; I use small rifle only in 9X23.

Quote:
I have always followed the loading data that was published. I want to know how much of a diffrence it makes to use a small rifle primer instead of a small pistol primer. .......
I don't have pressure guns and I doubt very many people do, especially vented to mimic revolvers. So I can't give you any information at all. Perhaps the Oehler 43 works with Thompson Center single shots? Be interested if anybody at all can reference ballistic lab tests.

I can say that I follow the loading data as published except for 9x23 where I use small rifle primers. BUT so does some, but not all, of the published data. I do use a chronograph and match velocities against published velocities in the published loading data.
Old February 22, 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
azredhawk44

I use Small Rifle primers in 400corbon loads with no problems at all.

YMMV.
Old February 22, 2006, 11:56 PM   #7
epr105

I guess that I will give it a try. Reduce the load and work from there see if I get alot of FTF or light strikes with the Small Rifle Primers. I did check them with a caliper and they seem to be exactly the same size. I did notice that they seem to be slightly diffrent in color inside the cup but, that is not unusual for primers of diffrent lots. Thank you for the replies now all I need is a cronograph and a pistol pressure tester.
EPR105
Old February 23, 2006, 12:52 AM   #8
MrGee

you can get a fare idea of the difference between the two by just loading the primer in the case.. no powder no bullet, stick in the chamber an shoot them side by side, an listen to the sound , look at the flash an feel the recoil as lite as it may be.... "just a thought" .. i've used both - both ways [small primer] pistol in rifle - rifle in pistol the pistol has a softer cup an can be punchered by the firing pin ,, as i said just try it with the primer alone