The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2015, 07:33 PM   #1
zanemoseley

What's up with primer pockets on Winchester pistol cases.

I'm getting my new lnl AP set up and got it running like a scalded dog. One small issue is I get the occasional primer that doesn't seat well. It seems like if it doesn't seat right on the first stroke it isn't going to after that unless I pull it out and seat on my rock chucker.

Seems like about 80% of the ones that screw up are winchester cases though. A lot have a ring around the pocket like they're crimped primers but is that possible with a winchester case?
Old February 10, 2015, 12:07 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

I have made the same observation with Winchester 38 Special cases. I hand prime and the ones that don't want to start are almost always Winchester. It's more than just a coincidence.

When I prime Win 38 cases, I have a chamfer tool handy. If one doesn't want to start, I give it a quick chamfer. I rarely run across it now, because I think I've chamfered all the troubled ones now.
Old February 10, 2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Longshot4

I have had problems seating primers with various cases over the years. Most have been the primers sat high in the pocket and some tight when pressed. I purchased a Redding primer pocket uniformer and the primer pocket problems were no more. You use it one time and that's it.
Old February 10, 2015, 12:38 PM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
A lot have a ring around the pocket like they're crimped primers
Most likely that is what it is. The USMC use to use 38 SPL for the guards at all US embassy's and all military cases had to be crimped during production. You may have some old, old cases from ammo produced years ago.

Take out the ring and they should work just fine.

Stay safe and shoot straight.
Jim
Old February 10, 2015, 01:00 PM   #5
higgite

I had a bag of brand new Winchester 9mm brass a while back. Brand new, no primer crimp. CCI and Rem SPP were noticeably harder to seat in the Win brass than in once fired FC or brand new R-P brass. I didn't have any Win primers. They may have been a better fit, dunno.
Old February 10, 2015, 01:02 PM   #6
condor bravo

Use of cases with crimped military primers was more or less my thinking also but you seem to indicate that you can seat primers OK with the Rock Chucker.But if the primers were crimped, they would be mangled with the Rock Chucker after priming and you would recognize that. What is the headstamp on the questionable cases? Winchester military cases are often marked wcc with a date. Or could possibly the primer alignment system be a little off with the LNL? I'm not at all familiar with that tool.

Last edited by condor bravo; February 10, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Old February 10, 2015, 01:59 PM   #7
BigJimP

I've had issues with WIN cases as well ( in a variety of calibers - including 9mm ) and its not old military brass or anything like that ...but I do think the primer pocket is tapered a little / my hunch is that WIN is buying their cases from a mfg overseas / and they're getting something cheap - and headstamped for them.

I have similar issues with S&B cases....and I'm wondering if WIN isn't using the same mfg....but I don't know for sure.

It is irritating...( I run all my ammo thru a case feeder on a Dillon 650 / spent cases are cleaned, inspected and lubed)...so a primer seating issue or a primer decapping issue in stations 1 or 2...throws a pause in the works...
Old February 10, 2015, 05:08 PM   #8
F. Guffey

I sort cases, I have Winchester cases, when I decide to load I reach for Winchester cases.

Back to sorting cases, after returning from the range I sort cases after tumbling, I do not have a problem getting my cases back to the same box they came from because I match case head stamps to the box.

I have cases with loose primer pockets, the same cases have loose flash holes and case head expansion.

F. Guffey
Old February 10, 2015, 08:11 PM   #9
WVMountaineer

I haven't had any primer pocket issues with Win cases but, I bought a couple bags of 44 Mag of Winchester brass a couple years ago and had 8 out of 100 that would fit in the shell holder!!!!! 8 I say!!!!!!!! I called Winchester, set up a return, they sent me new stuff and offered to pay for the shell holder that got stuck on one. I declined the offer. I have had problems with Winchester rifle brass too. New stuff with split necks, crushed beyond sizing, etc... They have always made it right. I love their brass. God Bless