The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 1, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
hongrn

Another Noob Thread With Questions: Plunger and Wads

Hello All,

My first post here at The Fire Line. I got the BP bug and got myself a couple Piettas, a 1851 and a 1860 with steel frame, both 44. On the 1851 Navy, the plunger is smaller than the cylinder holes, and looks like a .36 plunger on a .44 gun. The plunger on the 1860 Army fits the cylinder holes perfectly. Is this normal? Second question: I intend to use Pyrodex 30 grain pellets for both guns, but do I need to use Wonder Wads with the pellets? Thanks in advance for your replies. This stuff sure is addictive, to the point that I've been neglecting all my center fire firearms.

Hong
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4010016.jpg (42.2 KB, 33 views)
Old April 1, 2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Hawg

Correct ram, wrong barrel and cylinder. I think you'll be disappointed in the pellets. Loose powder performs better.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:00 PM   #3
hongrn

Hawg,

I'm so new that I don't know whether you're kidding or not in regards to the ram. I'd have to see another gun before I know it's wrong or not. Thanks.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:13 PM   #4
rdstrain49

Powder is about 1/3 the cost (maybe less) than pellets, plus you can adjust the powder in small increments to suit your particular weapon. Regarding lubed wads, lube over ball etc., that is your choice. I think the lube helps keep fouling soft, but that's just me. Try both and see what works best for you. Most importantly go make smoke and have a blast.
Old April 1, 2011, 06:20 PM   #5
Hawg

I was just jerkin your chain. It was in reference to the fact that the 51 Navy was never offered in .44
Old April 1, 2011, 06:22 PM   #6
rdstrain49

Hawg
Just don't jerk his chainfire
Old April 1, 2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Howard31

Pellets

When I first started I used the pellets for simplification. I had ignition problems. The bottom of the cylander is concave,the pellet is flat so there is a small airspace. Use a 45 ACP case ,it holds 28 grains of Pyrodex P and it works like a Zippo,first time every time.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:02 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

To answer the question

The plunger or ram on an 1851 is somewhat smaller than the chamber. As long as it is the right size for the hole that it passes through in the barrel lug, (and it very liekly is) then it is okay. .36 and .44 rams are the same size.

Surprised nobody said this but WELCOME to the forum. You came to the right place.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:22 PM   #9
hongrn

Thanks everyone. I certainly feel welcome and appreciate the help here. Powder it is then. I look forward to the smoke and soot this weekend. Have a great weekend everyone.

Hong
Old April 1, 2011, 07:44 PM   #10
Hawg

Just remember cleanup is with hot soapy water and no petroleum based lubes in the chambers or bore.
Old April 1, 2011, 08:01 PM   #11
hongrn

Thanks Hawg. I practiced removing the grip, and promptly stripped one of the 2 small screws on top of the grip. Grrrr. Damn screws were on so tight. Anyone replaced these with Allen screws, or do I have to get them from a gunsmith?
Old April 1, 2011, 10:55 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Get some of the hardened screws from VTI Gunparts. You won;t strip the head of them. They're pricey; but well worth it.

And Welocme to the forum Hongrn. There's a wealth of knowledge here and plenty of folks willing to pass it on, along with a razz or two along the way.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 2, 2011, 02:07 AM   #13
rdstrain49

and while your'e at it, a few hollow ground screwdrivers or bits
Old April 2, 2011, 07:09 AM   #14
Doc Hoy

Honorable Hong

Hearing protection and eye protection.