The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 4, 2010, 11:07 AM   #1
misnomerga

Magpul Dynamics

My son got me the video series Art of the Gun from these folks. The two main instructors on the DVD are Travis Haley and Chris Costa. Learned some interesting points from these folks like not "bowling" or "fishing" when sighting in your target. Wondering if any one is familiar with them or the courses they offer.
Old August 4, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
davebob

DVD

Interestingly, I'm about half way through the set. Pretty, good but a bit repetitious. I would also like to know about the course(s) from anyone who has taken them.
Old August 4, 2010, 05:58 PM   #3
booker_t

Nope, never heard of Magpul. Who are they?
Old August 4, 2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Mr. Davis

Magpul does training courses and manufactures accessories.

My lone AR has seven different Magpul parts on it. They're probably best known for making the best AR magazines on the planet.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:31 PM   #5
davebob

Magpul

Well here's the link.

http://www.magpuldynamics.com/
Old August 4, 2010, 09:10 PM   #6
VHinch

Outstanding instructors. The videos are well done and great for reference but not even close to what you get out of their classes in person, and certainly no substitute for actual training.
Old August 4, 2010, 10:24 PM   #7
Dewhitewolf

I only saw one of their videos (tactical carbine, i think). Seems like a great course that they teach.
Old August 5, 2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Bartholomew Roberts

Travis Haley is the shooter on the roof in the Internet video of the siege of Najaf where 13 Americans (a number of Blackwater employees and a few others) held off about 600 attackers for three days. In addition to that pretty intense experience, he was a Force Recon Marine.

Chris Costa had a career with the Coast Guard (suprisingly enough) conducting counter-drug missions and then taught police tactical operations in chemical, biological, and radiologic environments.

I'd love to take a class with either one of them; but so far have only been able to check out the two DVDs, which, while not as good as a class, are still informative and useful.
Old August 5, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
misnomerga

They can have my back any time

From what I've seen on the DVD set one would definitely not mind their having one's back. I have had to rethink some of the things they pointed out like how I grip my semi auto. I was gripping it with a revolver grip. They recommended a different grip and I have been trying to re-program myself. There were two marines and two LEOs in the class and they learned a lot as well.
Old August 5, 2010, 05:51 PM   #10
booker_t

Clearly I needed to use the </sarcasm> tag.

VHinch; have you taken a course with them? I posted a similar thread to this one a few months ago, asking if anybody has trained with them, got about 250 views and 0 replies.

Do they follow the agenda on the website course listings? How large are the classes? Are there additional instructors besides those two?

Beyond the field work, how do you find the classroom instruction? Is it something you would take back to your department/unit and train them on (if you are in LE/Mil)?

Overall, bang for buck? Can you compare to other training courses or schools you've attended?
Old August 5, 2010, 06:34 PM   #11
VHinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_t
VHinch; have you taken a course with them?
Yes, and planning on another for 2011 once their schedule is out.

Quote:
Do they follow the agenda on the website course listings?
Pretty much, at least overall. Each class will be slightly different, but overall they follow their outline.

Quote:
How large are the classes?
16-20 shooters

Quote:
Are there additional instructors besides those two?
Yes. Which instructors are there varies from class to class, but they have several.

Quote:
Beyond the field work, how do you find the classroom instruction? Is it something you would take back to your department/unit and train them on (if you are in LE/Mil)?
Their classes are heavy on fieldwork and light on lecture, but what lecture they do is quite good, particularly in regards to mindset.

Quote:
Overall, bang for buck? Can you compare to other training courses or schools you've attended?
Outstanding. Their classes tend to be higher round count than others, but it's quality rounds, not just throwing lead downrange. I find them as good as any and better than most. I'd rank them a close second only to Larry Vickers among instructors I've personally trained with. My top to bottom ranking would go like this:

Larry Vickers
Magpul Dynamics
Thunder Ranch
Shootrite Academy
Gunsite

Overall my assessment would be that you certainly can't go wrong training with Magpul. The biggest challenge is finding a course of theirs at a location you can attend, and getting in before they fill up.
Old August 11, 2010, 03:57 PM   #12
Steviewonder1

I have the Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD set and it is First Class all the way thru. If I can get into one of their classes I will, but it may take some time.