The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 2, 2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Hardcase

Cartridge cylinder

I'm giving some thought to getting a cartridge cylinder for my Pietta 1860 Colt. Such a deal, right? I can easily load 'er up and spit lead all day long. But I wonder about cutting a loading port. I haven't seen anybody describe the process - I just see sales literature saying that I "just" have to cut one and off we go!

Is it that simple? Can I do it with a file or so I need to break out a Dremel tool? The Dremel kind of worries me because, like Brylcreem, a little dab'll do ya. A lot makes a mess.

Then, what about finishing? Do I just cold blue where I cut and not worry about the mismatch between that and the case colors? Does it even really show that much?

Am I making a mountain out of a molehill?
Old April 2, 2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Hawg

It will require a Dremel, a drill and a file. Or you could just get the cylinder without the loading gate and break it down to load it.
Old April 2, 2010, 04:10 PM   #3
zippy13

Hardcase, before you install a loading gate check your local laws. In some jurisdictions it's the gate that defines a cartridge handgun (and its legal restrictions) from a BP conversion. MidwayUSA lists "Howell's Old West Gated Conversion Cylinder Installation Fixture 1860 Army" for $40.
Old April 2, 2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Hardcase

Thankfully, sunny southern Idaho (or, as I like to call it today "Blizzardtown") doesn't have draconian firearms laws. Or, really, many firearms laws at all.

Kind of refreshing.

Thanks for the suggestion on the jig. I see that Midway is out of stock - hopefully it's not because of whatever trouble seems to be afflicting R&D/Howell's.

I guess a steady hand and a vise will ease my task. The reason that I want to use the loading gate is that I don't really want to take the gun apart to reload each time. It's a laziness thing
Old April 2, 2010, 06:11 PM   #5
zippy13

Quote:
The reason that I want to use the loading gate is that I don't really want to take the gun apart to reload each time. It's a laziness thing
Yep. If you've got to remove the wheel to reload metallics, why not save some $$$ and just get some spare BP cyl's?
Old April 2, 2010, 09:38 PM   #6
robhof

robhof

I got 3 spare Ballistix cylinders for my ROA and still ended up getting an R&D just because...Now I can blast away with a total of 4 b/p cylinders and add another 6 from 45Lc, before reloading. The conversion is still faster to reload than the b/p's, but they're all equally fun.

Last edited by robhof; April 2, 2010 at 09:39 PM. Reason: misspelled word
Old April 2, 2010, 10:12 PM   #7
kwhi43

Has anybody used the R&D 45 Colt cyclinder in a Uberti 1847 Walker?