The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 8, 2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Greg Bell

Is it me, or are USPs getting more popular?

Guys,

For years, HK USPs were not that common, and seemed to be getting less so. Lately, I seem to see more and more. Has anybody else noticed this?
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old October 8, 2006, 11:48 PM   #2
nl1080

well I just bought one as you know and a few of my friends are getting them as well. it seems your could be correct
Old October 9, 2006, 08:32 AM   #3
Ace On The Line

Could be that more buyers are realizing that price isn't everything. The USP is a lot of gun for the money
Old October 9, 2006, 09:17 AM   #4
pdkflyguy

I've had mine for five years now, and have always loved it. Since I spread the word about how great it is, I assume other owners do too. Oftentimes, word of mouth is the best advertising, and I don't know too many people who are unhappy about their USPs.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old October 9, 2006, 09:24 AM   #5
18DAI

The word is getting out to try them. Those that do, usually buy them. I've had two for the past ten years. Both are fullsize, a 40 and 45. The USPF 40 is my duty pistol. It's the most reliable, accurate pistol I've ever owned. I bought it NIB for $560, and it's been flawless since. More than I can say for more expensive "popular" pistols I own. I've also got the USPF45, and while I conceed, that the grip is pretty big, even in my hands, I prefer it to the Glock or XD (yes I've shot both, and no I won't be buying either). I've got a compact 40 on layaway, can't wait to get my hands on it. YMMV. Regards 18DAI.
Old October 9, 2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Ace On The Line

I'm seriously considering a USPc .40 as well 18DAI. I carried a P9S .45 for over twenty years until recently when I switched to my USPf .40 for CCW. I love the .40 in full size but there are times that a .40 compact would sure be nice.
Old October 9, 2006, 12:10 PM   #7
bclark1

i got into handguns just a couple years ago, and as soon as i started looking into them the USP made the short list real quick. i think anyone that's had one has always known it to be a superior product. it's even reflected in how often it's seen in pop culture, very popular movie and video game gun. so i feel like it's always been a highly respected gun. but taking your observations, i don't think their stock's gone up, but perhaps polymers are becoming continually more accepted and prevalant, and with the plethora of options people are finally starting to weed through to the cream of the crop?
Old October 9, 2006, 03:00 PM   #8
threegun

When you guys are spreading the word just what are you saying? How is the USP better than the Glock, XD, Sig, Smith&Wesson, Browning, Colt, or Beretta? Just curious.
Old October 9, 2006, 03:21 PM   #9
Half-Price Assassin

I think its just you Greg Bell!

i think GLOCKs are still the big gun out there, i went to my local gun show, and you see a GLOCK on every table, one in four guys is carrying one, i saw four guys buy new ones, and the GLOCK doc, had a crowd around him the whole day. i saw a few HKs, all the used ones where only a few dollars more then new GLOCKs, and came with 10rd mags. the new ones prices have gone down maybe $50 since last year, wish they did that two years ago! HKs are nice, but i have personally traded two USPs, for two GLOCKs. i think i will keep my USP 9mm, but if cash problems come back i may not. but back to your question, from what i have seen i dont think HKs are getting more attention, same as before if you ask me.

HK Marketing Department's new slogan "HK. Because you suck. And we HATE you"
Old October 9, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
Greg Bell

Quote:
i think GLOCKs are still the big gun out there, i went to my local gun show, and you see a GLOCK on every table, one in four guys is carrying one, i saw four guys buy new ones, and the GLOCK doc, had a crowd around him the whole day.
I didn't say that the USP was the most popular gun, I said it was getting more popular. Most people will always be cheap.
Old October 9, 2006, 04:46 PM   #11
Wildalaska

Its you Greg

WildiforonehaveneverbeenimpressedbythemAlaska
Old October 9, 2006, 04:53 PM   #12
IM_Lugger

not with me... high price, bad egros and super hight bore axis have all contribured to this.
Old October 9, 2006, 05:07 PM   #13
threegun

Quote:
not with me... high price, bad egros and super hight bore axis have all contributed to this.
Perfectly stated.
Old October 9, 2006, 06:02 PM   #14
litework

I think they’re getting more popular too. I’ve seen a lot of interest on the various forums and most of the comments have been complementary. I didn’t think too highly of them at first. It didn't become popular with me until I shot a USP .45 F. After that, I had to have one. I don’t think there’s a softer shooting .45 out there. Excellent ergonomics with well thought out controls, too. I usually shoot my USP with my 1911s at the range. It’s blasphemy, but I’ve actually cannibalized the cartridges from my 1911s’ magazines so I could shoot my USP more.
Old October 9, 2006, 06:35 PM   #15
RevolverLover

Quote:
the GLOCK doc, had a crowd around him the whole day.
Were they broken already? LOL
Old October 9, 2006, 07:03 PM   #16
IanS

Yeah, I think its just you.

I seem to be seeing less of them these days. To me it seems like more people are picking up SIG Sauers for DA/SA guns, 1911's for cocked and locked, and Glocks as usual (or XD's) for polymer guns. Maybe they've decided the USP's try to be everything to everybody but don't excel at one thing like a Glock, SIG, or 1911. And maybe they actually feel Glocks are better performers than USP despite the price. H&K also felt the need to refine the USP with completely different models like the P2000 and HK45. Wonder why?

The USP is a decent gun though. As are my SIG Sauers. But I like my Glocks just as much as my SIGs and SA Pro 1911 despite costing a lot more. I think it has to do with the way it performs than the way it looks, what its made of, the name on the slide, or what I paid.

And before you trash talk Glocks go to http://lightfighter.net/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1931084651 and see what people who carry guns for a living (in American city streets to Baghdad) and consider guns as merely tools; what they think of Glocks.
Old October 9, 2006, 07:13 PM   #17
Greg Bell

yawn
Old October 9, 2006, 07:16 PM   #18
IanS

Quote:
yawn
Nice try trying to whip up hype for H&K.
Old October 9, 2006, 08:43 PM   #19
LSP972

Hype? He was just making an observation.

I too used to think the USP was over-priced Teutonic tupperware; then my wife surprised me with a USP Compact .45.

My Glocks are now side-lined; my issue Sig P220 is a "car gun". After a bit over 2000 rounds through it, the USPc has really won me over.

I like my older P220, though the need to remember to decock can get tiresome. I like my Glocks too; although, when I put the USPc down and pick one of the Glocks up, I feel like I just put down Sophia Loren and picked up a two-dollar whore...
Old October 9, 2006, 08:51 PM   #20
Greg Bell

Exactly, I was just remarking that they seem to be popping up more and more, which is unusual for a gun that old (that was never popular). I think the Homeland Security contract (read: budgets aren't tight so we get the guns we actually want) kind of brought the gun back to life. The only reason I made the joke about Glocks was because all these Glock/XD/Lorcin/whatever partisans used this as an excuse to cry "our gun is just as good, really!" rather than comment on what I have noticed.

As I said before, a lot of folks who trash the HKs seem to protest a little too much. Take it easy, if your gun choice is so much better just sit back and be happy that you are so smart. Who are you trying to convince?
Old October 9, 2006, 11:07 PM   #21
fanoblack

I don't think its so much Greg (sorry to steal your thunder ) as it is this man.

I might be wrong though.

fanoblack

P.S. However, I think that is a USPc and not a fullsized USP.

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old October 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #22
Greg Bell

Could be. I remember when people were buying SIGs because the folks on X-files carried them. Sad.
Old October 9, 2006, 11:14 PM   #23
fanoblack

On the PS90 threads there is always a Stargate SG1 reference. Does Entertainment mimic Culture or Culture mimic Entertainment?

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.
Old October 9, 2006, 11:16 PM   #24
JSandi

Consider this as well; SIG’s are moving up in price as well as Glocks. By the time you fit them with night sights you are around $800.00 for a SIG and $650.00 for the Glock.

H&K USP’s have always been around the $700.00 to $900.00 range depending on type/caliber. While I do believe they are gaining some popularity from the numerous gov contracts it may also have something to do with other types of firearms closing the price gap.

Why have an $800.00 SIG when you can have an $800.00 H&K.
Old October 10, 2006, 01:59 AM   #25
IanS

Quote:
As I said before, a lot of folks who trash the HKs seem to protest a little too much. Take it easy, if your gun choice is so much better just sit back and be happy that you are so smart. Who are you trying to convince?
These were your quotes. Who protesteth too much?

Quote:
Most people will always be cheap.
Are you assuming people buy Glocks simply because they're cheap?

Quote:
I made the joke about Glocks was because all these Glock/XD/Lorcin/whatever partisans....
You compare a Glock (and XD) to a Lorcin. Your credibility is in question here as far as I'm concerned.

My view on USP's.

Quote:
The USP is a decent gun though. As are my SIG Sauers. But I like my Glocks just as much as my SIGs and SA Pro 1911 despite costing a lot more.
That's fine you want to talk up the USP but its your Glock trashing that got my attention. Its your assumptions (protests) about Glocks that prove you're doing the very thing you accuse others of doing. Its pretty transparent. Where did I trash USPs? Or is it because I simply appreciate Glocks for what they are? And yes, I have owned a USP. As I said a decent enough gun but sold it for a P228 to simply the types of pistols I shoot.