The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2005, 10:15 PM   #26
Dave Haven

Centrifugal machine guns have been developed in the past. IIRC, GE developed one in the '50's or so... I read about it in Small Arms of the World or some such publication. Velocity and accuracy were unimpressive.
Old May 15, 2005, 09:20 AM   #27
FirstFreedom

Quote:
I have to call BS
+1
Old May 20, 2005, 11:00 AM   #28
Mike40-11

Jim:
With a 2' dia. rotor, I get a rotational speed of just over 152,000 RPM to hit 8000 fps. Not that the 70 some odd is much easier to attain...

This basic idea's been around for a long time, but so far has never gotten off the ground.

Harper's Weekly, March 25, 1861. Steam powered centrifugal gun captured:
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...-steam-gun.htm

Never did get used.
Old June 27, 2005, 08:01 AM   #29
fnulnu

The problem that I see is that it would act like a gyro and be extremely hard if not impossible to move in an acceptable way. Nice Idea though, I suppose.

flulnu
Old June 27, 2005, 12:19 PM   #30
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Unless Newton's third law has been repealed, there has to be recoil.
Um, nope, no recoil and no law repealed. Centerfuges don't have recoil.
Old June 29, 2005, 02:14 PM   #31
John2

Good grief. I hope no politician reads this! Next they'll be a Bill banning "deadly centrifugal assault weapons". That its never been built, won't work with todays technology, is irrelevant. Its like banning "plastic guns that ignore x-ray detection", or banning cloning of humans lest we get another Fienstein, Hillary, et al. Keep it quiet! They may cancel their August vacation for this "important business". :barf:
Old June 29, 2005, 02:21 PM   #32
4V50 Gary
Staff

Looks like a starship. One problem - it empties fast. You don't need that high a rate of fire.
Old June 30, 2005, 05:40 PM   #33
Skeetin'870

I would not wont to be pfc that has to load those magazines. 1...2...3...4...5...six hours later...4997...4998...4999...5000.
Done sarge....1 minute later...1...2
Boy wouldnt that suck
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through
Old June 30, 2005, 11:46 PM   #34
MeekAndMild

BS yet again.

If you could get the mechanism to work it would have so much recoil that it could be used as a rocket engine.
Old July 1, 2005, 12:32 AM   #35
Crosshair

You owe me a new keyboard Skeetin'870. That was funny to the extreme.
Old July 1, 2005, 11:35 PM   #36
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Centrifuges don't have recoil.
They sure do when they throw things. A normal centrifuge doesn't recoil because nothing's leaving the system. If something leaves at a high rate of speed (as with this design), there will DEFINITELY be recoil of some sort. It may not be a conventional recoil action, but something's definitely going to move around to balance the loss in the system. Newton is still right.

Also, if you assume the "throwing wheel" is about 1 foot in diameter, it's going to have to spin around 150,000rpm to throw something at 8,000fps. I hardly think it's going to be silent. Also the spin up time will not be anything like instantaneous. The whole time it's ready to shoot, it's already going to have to be spun up. I hate to think what will happen if it's damaged and it becomes unbalanced. If it can throw something at 8,000fps, that's how fast parts will be going when they fly off it.

And the comments about gyroscopic effects are on target.
Old July 2, 2005, 12:45 AM   #37
eviltravis

A-hem...

Uh, I balance engines and various other things at work. I have to point out the obvious here. If you get that big metel disc rotating at speed with a bunch of loose projectiles wandering around in there it's gonna thrash around like a gut shot squirrel. The dynamic and kinetic balance are going to be constantly changing with the number of projectiles. Oh, and another observation. One of the other gentleman here mentioned gyroscopic force. I'm no egghead, but have you ever ran a 9" angle grinder? They turn at about 6000 rpm. You can definetly feel the thing squirming in your hands as you go. It would be a bugger to aim this dread deal, even if you could work out the balance problem.
Here's another one. You gotta have some kind of recoil somewhere here. I'm not sure how there channeling the steel balls out of this thing, but regardless of how it's done there's still an equal and opposite force when the projectile leaves the unit.
And yet one more observation. Or I guess a question really. What the heck kind of bearings are they gonna use in this thing? 120000.00 rpm? I haven't seen a bearing in my line of work that will put up with that.
I guess you could say I'm a sceptic
Old July 2, 2005, 05:06 PM   #38
cosmolinelover

I would dread having to deal with one of those...

... sorry... I know that was pretty bad