The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2005, 11:37 PM   #1
Plinkster

SL-900 Question

I'm having a occasional problem with my SL-900 crushing hulls while in the final crimp die. This doesn't happen all of the time only about 10% of the time. I'm using WW AA 12 ga, once fired hulls. The OAL (both uncrimped and finished round) and wad seating depth are within specs listed in the manual. I'm loading 1 oz of #7-1/2 shot with a WAA12SL wad. I've checked the shot weight numerous times and it is correct. Next I'll probably try to readjust the final crimp die. The shells that are OK are nicely tapered and have great looking, tight crimps. I can't find any similarities in the ruined cases and have even tried checking the shot weight from the bad hulls. It is really starting to bug me, otherwise the press is great. Any ideas?

TIA
Old April 17, 2005, 05:06 PM   #2
august

There probably aren't that many sl 900 owners out there that are on this forum. You are way better off to call Dillon, they know what they are talking about, and the call is free..

Regards, August
Old April 18, 2005, 04:39 PM   #3
Plinkster

Thanks for the reply August. I did just that this morning. He told me to seat the wad a little deeper. Well, I tried that and the crimps on some of hulls looked as though they were beginning to invert a little, and I still had a few crushing. With a little closer inspection, it seems that the hulls are the slightest bit different in length or something. All of the hulls that I'm using are Win AA 2-3/4", which I purchased once fired, so I'm sure that they are all different lots. When looking at most of the cases that crushed, the hull appears to be of a different type of plastic, a little brighter red and shiny as opposed to the others which have a darker red and dull finish. Headstamps are all AA though. I was digging through my bucket of fired hulls and haven't found any of the shiny hulls to measure to see if there is a difference in either OAL uncrimped or after being crimped. I may have to sort the one kind from the other and try a different die set up when using those. Thanks for the suggestion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02842 (600 x 450).jpg (34.5 KB, 21 views)
Old April 26, 2005, 09:37 PM   #4
esheato

Plinkster,

I believe your problem could be the difference in hull types. According to your previous response, some of the hullls are of a different color and finish. Winchester recently (within the last year or two) switched from the traditional compression-formed one piece hull to a two piece more economical hull. Split two of the hulls down the side and inspect them.

If you're trying to seat the wad too deep into the new style hulls, the bottom of the wad will catch on the sleeve and the wad will collapse during the crimp. I hope I painted an adequate picture for you.

Best of Luck,

Ed