The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 30, 2015, 08:33 PM   #1
8MM Mauser

I think I have a convert

Ladies and gentlemen,

I was at Dunham's this weekend with my daughter (she is 3), shopping for shoes actually, but we happened by the gun counter, not sure how that happened but my daughter leaned down and saw one of these and made me promise to buy it for her "when I am old enough daddy."

I asked her what she wanted a gun for and she said: "for shooting, for shooting deers and turkeys, and for shooting dragons and wolves and bad guys!"

I informed her that she had a few years to wait, but when she was old enough I would teach her to shoot and to hunt if she still wanted too. She is a tough little thing, and I have taken her on 1-2 mile hikes. I think I've managed to breed an outdoor enthusiast!

I told my grandpa the story and he happily announced there was a .243 he built for predator control on his land that would be waiting for her when she was ready.

I really have a great family. If only I could get her into Ruger revolvers instead though...

Old March 31, 2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Bucksnort1

8mm,

May I assume you are a fan of German 8mms? I have my father's sporterized, model 98, 8mm with a fixed power (probably 4X) Hensoldt quick mount scope. He was part of the army of occupation in southern Germany from 1946 to 1949. I failed to pick his brain for more details about the gun but as best I can tell he obtained it in a military configuration then had a German gunsmith sporterize it. The only thing he told me was he liberated it, which means he got it free.
Old March 31, 2015, 12:45 PM   #3
CowTowner

Quote:
If only I could get her into Ruger revolvers instead though...
She's only 3. Her tastes will change as she gets older. Don't paint her into a corner just yet. She's got a lot of learning and growing to do. And that's gonna fly by way too quickly. I'd enjoy the fact she's interested and work on keeping that part of who she becomes.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old March 31, 2015, 01:34 PM   #4
8MM Mauser

Cowtowner,
I will be happy if she remains interested. She has enjoyed and continues to ask to come along when I hunt (she stays inside with grandma).

Beleive me, I wouldn't honestly try to tell her what she needs/wants. She is already headstrong as they come. If she wants to be involved I'll be happy to teach her. If not that is OK too.
Old March 31, 2015, 01:51 PM   #5
8MM Mauser

Pogybait: I am a fan of mausers.

I have a vz24 vintage 1934 and a 1918 Gewehr that has been turned into a sporter.

I love the way a mauser feels and shoots. The VZ24 is my favorite range gun right now.
Old March 31, 2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Banger357

I reckon you could show her the light if you look hard enough

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/g...4-Bright-Pink/
Old March 31, 2015, 03:28 PM   #7
Bucksnort1

8mm, I want to post a photo of my dad's rifle but it's too large for attaching. On one occasion, last year, I was able to reduce another photo so it will fit but for the life of me, I can't remember how to do it. Do you know how? Will you send the information?
Old March 31, 2015, 03:29 PM   #8
g.willikers

Did you get her a membership in the NRA, SAF and your local state organization?
You know, to help insure she will still have the right to own her gun when she's old enough.
Old March 31, 2015, 03:43 PM   #9
8MM Mauser

Not yet, but I am a member of the NRA and plan on joining MCRGO this year.

I feel like that should be her own choice; though it would get some more interesting magazines into the house!
Old March 31, 2015, 03:44 PM   #10
8MM Mauser

banger that's a good idea you've got there...